Barnard Regular Decision Fall 2022 Admissions

They don’t get accepted a major. They declare their major after a year of required “exploration”. My daughter is a freshman and turned out that exploratory year was good for her as she shifted her plans. Congrats to your daughter!

4 Likes

My daughter’s roommate got accepted off of the waitlist. It was a phone call and they basically expect that you will accept on the spot (but don’t require it). If your daughter really wants Barnard, definitely have her write a commitment letter explaining clearly why Barnard is her first choice. Send to the regional admission person as they are the ones who “lobby” to get their kids off of the waitlist. Also have her send in another reco letter from someone who can speak to why she is a great match with Barnard.

Hope that’s helpful! :heart:

5 Likes

Oberlin is a great school!

2 Likes

Yes, thank you!

Aw thanks, but I think maybe she’s as qualified as many applicants, but really there are so many.

What is SLO? Good luck to yours too ! D will tour Oberlin as well as UNC Asheville where she was a semi finalist for a presidential scholar award and got a nice amount of aid. Also going to look at New Paltz. We get the excelsior aid so it would be much cheaper.

Oops, sorry California people know it better – it’s California Polytechnic State University at San Luis Obispo (that’s the SLO part, there’s also a Cal Poly Pomona and now a Cal Poly Humboldt).

And wow your D has so many great options! I’m so glad the kids can now focus on their great acceptances! Yay! :clap: Enjoy the visits!

3 Likes

has anyone ever gotten off who needed aid?

if you go back and look at the Barnard WL 2025 thread, you can read people’s experiences with that. There did seem to be a high correlation with moving off the waitlist and not needing financial aid.

1 Like

Waitlists are always need aware, even at need-blind schools…

2 Likes

Hey guys, made a waitlist thread

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/t/barnard-college-class-of-2026-waitlist/3609155?u=soumya_yadav

1 Like

Not really possible to be over-qualified at Barnard. Acceptance rate is now below 8%. Girls at DD school with perfect GPAs and near perfect SATs were rejected.

1 Like

This was a brutal year. Spoke to the college advising office at PEA (Phillips Exeter). Scores of super high achievers waitlisted and out-right rejected by Barnard, other Ivies and places like Amherst and Chicago. They said Barnard was now exceptionally competitive. So everyone is in good company.

2 Likes

Yes, while overall acceptance was 8%, most were already filled from smaller ED pool.

The acceptance from the huge RD pool was a much smaller percentage.

2 Likes