Bass singing sure on this shining night?

Hey y’all,
I’m a 17M bass-baritone who is a senior. A local school is doing mock auditions in two weeks and I can’t think of a good art song to do it besides sure on this shining night. Given that this is traditionally a soprano solo, would it be okay to transpose it down into a lower range? I feel that it would really show off my musicality. I’m trying to get a grasp of whether I’m at a level where I can consider doing this.

He’s a Baritone. Probably has music not just transposed but written for him.

Not a music major here but sung in numerous competitions. So don’t take my word for it–just an experienced opinion.

I’d be very careful just transposing music. Changing keys can sometimes give a whole new feel to a song going from light to dark. (major to minor)

I would encourage showing off your strengths in the best light possible rather than trying to show a musical range which you may or may not excel at. An audience will remember you as great when you are great and it doesn’t take much to be dismissed. Pick something you can easily sing and emote well.

Look up art songs on Reddit–whole thread on bass-baritone pieces.

1 Like

If you don’t already have it, you should get the book 26 Italian Songs and Arias: Medium and Low Voice. The material in that book will be familiar to faculty you are auditioning for and you can find something that feels comfortable to you.

Toi Toi Toi!

4 Likes

This was the arrangement I was referring to by Samuel barber! This is definitely transposed down from the soprano key (soprano key of Bb is the original key), but idk by how much. Definitely a much more doable key

Yeah I definitely need to buy it :sob::sob::sob:

1 Like

Do you have a choir teacher who can help you choose and prepare something?

1 Like

I agree…ask a teacher for guidance choosing a song. I would suggest choosing one written for your voice part.

2 Likes