Bates [$61k/year, loans] vs Cheaper Options [Delaware $36k/year, no loans; Vermont $44k/year, maybe small loans]

I’m more interested in environmental science - I like the idea of going to grad school for something science related, not necessarily law school or doing something policy-related. With that said, I would likely switch majors to Geoscience if I end up at HWS

1 Like

This is cool, I’ll take a look!

1 Like

Sounds like you got decent OOS Merit from UVM. Make sure you check the requirements to maintain that award.

Go to admitted students day at University of Delaware. We are seriously considering a school that we were going to write off because of Honors College opportunities.

We are also in NH so I get the desire to go away.

I think Bates is just too much money.

UVM is a great choice for your intended major.

(FYI - New England regional tuition discount, don’t assume changing majors will lead to more aid. I have found that colleges will offer merit or regional tuition but not both.)

Edited to add: You may be able to apply to the Honors College after a semester or two.

2 Likes

You appear to have researched your choices thoroughly, in that this would be comparable to your preferred major at Bates.

2 Likes

So you are talking about undergrad debt and then grad school.

Know what that means?

More debt.

Go where your family can afford - sans debt. Even if the major is off a bit.

If you’re a bit away from home, it’s ok. Yes, kids get home sick at first - but you also have facetime.

None of us did.

You’ll make friends.

You’ll be fine.

And when you graduate, if you want to live alone, you can. Want to eat out, you can.

Don’t want to write a monthly check + interest? You won’t have to.

As long as you stay away from debt!!

1 Like

UVM is a relatively expensive public university out of state unless you get their good merit based aid. My recollection is that this requires maintaining a 3.0 (B average) to maintain the merit aid after the first year. However, OP you should check this out. Your merit aid might differ, but it probably does specify what is required.

Another issue is that sometimes students take more than 4 years for example potentially due to either a bad semester or a late change in majors. Most merit aid, if it is renewable, only lasts 4 years.

UNH is also quite a good university. I got to stay there once on a business trip and it is quite an attractive location. Students often under-appreciate their in-state public university.

4 Likes

The cost of Bates may not be worth the impact on your options down the road depending on your career path in environmental work.

The state universities on your list are all producing professionals who are highly prepared for careers with states, fed agencies, or NGOs.

Sign up for an admitted student day at UNH to get a fresh look at the programs you are interested in. Those days have special sessions for the separate colleges, like COLSA.

5 Likes

So, your real choices are:
UDel Climate Scholars
UVM
Dickinson
H&WS

Have you been able to visit them?

3 Likes

This. It’s not exactly a teeny school. There will be plenty of students you don’t know there.

6 Likes

In the sciences, grad school is usually covered with research stipends.

3 Likes

Isn’t that more PHD?

I hear it and I do see “some” for Masters - but not a ton. At UVM for example - and what if the student pivoted - and did a Masters in something else not funded? I know a lot have their next 6 or 8 years set - but the truth is, at 17, they don’t know.

So best to be prepared - in my opinion.

Project: Announcing a fully-funded position for a Master’s student beginning January 2023 in Professor William Keeton’s Carbon Dynamics Lab at the University of Vermont, Rubenstein School of Environment and Natural Resources. The successful applicant will join a team working at the Hubbard Brook Experimental Forest in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. The MS project will use a variety of methods to investigate canopy structure and function over streams.

2 Likes

@gpo613 just posted this on another thread - but I think it’s a very good post when you are talking about taking on debt:

With decision time upon us I just want to throw out my recent experience with my D19. D19 will graduate in about 6-7 weeks with no college loans. As they say here on CC she was an average high stats kid. 4 years ago at this time we weighed a lot of options. We had a budget we could contribute. D19 choose a school that she was going to be just short on the budget. In the end she found a way to keep from having loans.

She is very happy at this time not to have loans. Almost all her friends have loans to some extent. Getting herself started in adulthood is definitely easier without a loan payment of $300-800 a month coming eventually.

She attended a financial aid seminar with some kids she mentors last semester. At her school the average amount of loans is $30K for the graduates.

We all have different situations for sure. But it is worth contemplating at decision time.

6 Likes

I’m flying down to Delaware in a few weeks, and I have visited the rest already. We’re heading back to UVM for an admitted students day in April as well.

6 Likes

Good to know, thanks. I’m starting to get more excited about the more affordable options, thank you all for the input I very much appreciate it.

5 Likes

Truth is, everyone is different.

Some feel a name is worth it, regardless of debt. Others feel minimal debt is ok. And others think no debt is ok.

It’s really an individual call - but I do think there are enough stories out there related to being hampered by debt that should scare kids.

All that said, an engineer would, statistically, have a better chance of earning a salary to pay off debt than an earth science student.

It’s good that you have so many opinions to think about. I’m glad you are going to see UD and not just making assumptions.

I hope you find that place where affordable and I’d love it here meet!!

1 Like

If you cross out all options that require parental loans or loans beyond the 5.5K federal loan freshman year/27K total for 4 years, what options remain?

Of your choices, I’d say Dickinson is the one closest to Bates in culture and students. (Neither is especially “crunchy” but at both students are concerned with climate change and sustainability and some change things in that respect.)
I don’t know how in-depth Earth Science is or what it leads to but you could contact them.

CLimate Scholars at UDel would guarantee you’d find your “tribe” there and the depth of courses on offer looks good

It requires more math than Dickinson (2 options: Calc1+ stats, or just 1 of those at Dickinson v. 2 calc classes at UDel).

The links didn’t work at UVT.

HWS: pretty complete program with concentrations. Requires Calc 1.
https://www.hws.edu/academics/geoscience/default.aspx

3 Likes

Yes, most land grant universities fund masters level work, as well.

There are some special masters programs that are “pay to Play” that may be less research focused and more professional advancement. They tend to be on specifics like policy, management, etc…

2 Likes

You have some great choices! DS was looking at a number of those same schools and has similar interests and ended up choosing UVM. Cost was a factor, and location a big one as well- he loves Burlington and also is a skier. Even though UVM is a larger public university I think it attracts a lot of the same kinds of kids that are drawn to smaller liberal arts schools. And of course Environmental science/studies are huge there. One thing that he really likes is how there are kids from all over the country- he has friends from everywhere, not just New England. I also think honors college at UVM is not a huge deal, I wouldn’t consider that a big factor. I am also a big Dickinson fan- visited it with DD who is a junior and we were both really impressed. Off your list, those are the two I would gravitate towards. I do know people who like DE a lot, but I haven’t been- my impression is that it is more of a party school vibe, but I am sure you would find plenty of all kinds of people there (or anywhere).

2 Likes

isn’t UVM a party school vibe? Don’t know but I’ve always seen it on lists. I take all that with a grain of salt - because all party schools have kids that watch movies or run or play video games or what not too.

UVM is once again one of U.S.'s top party schools (mychamplainvalley.com)

1 Like

You don’t know…because you haven’t been there.

Like ANY college, there are those who party and those who don’t. UVM is a fabulous university, and we know many happy grads…and have visited the beautiful campus more than once!

2 Likes