Bates [$61k/year, loans] vs Cheaper Options [Delaware $36k/year, no loans; Vermont $44k/year, maybe small loans]

If you would like to say, did you settle on a school?

I ended up choosing Bates. I felt that it was worth the difference in price, at least for me. They have an excellent career office, smaller classes, and it’s close to home (so cuts down travel costs). The other schools had lower starting prices but charged for a lot of extra things that comes grouped with Bates’ tuition (ex. laundry, orientation trips, ski passes). After visiting so many schools I really had to choose based on the vibe and Bates was the only one that felt right. I’m very excited :))

17 Likes

Best of luck to you at Bates, @perplexus808!

1 Like

You’ll love Bates! Wishing you a great 4 years!

2 Likes

Congrats on your choice! My daughter will be attending Bates in the fall too. We have heard nothing but good things from others who have attended.

6 Likes

My daughter will start at Bates in the fall as well! Very exciting. Seems the students there are really happy.

5 Likes

Just read this- congrats on Bates!!! My son is a rising Jr. He loves it!! And we love that he loves it. The students are very kind and the community seems close-knit. Lewiston is not the best looking city around, but it is charming. And their bus/van service makes getting around very easy.

I wish you all the luck in the world!!!

Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but you can appeal your financial aid award. Give a reason why their calculation is not taking in the whole picture. If not this year, certainly next. Even with a high income, there are often circumstances that you can explain that just don’t appear in the general calculation of family contribution.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.