Bates College Early Decision for Fall 2024 Admission

This is the official thread for those applying ED to Bates College.

List your unweighted GPA, any SAT /ACT scores, and ECs. What majors are you going into?
Ask your questions, the CC community is here to help!

2 Likes

Bates ED is becoming more competitive, with more applications in past years. See recent release. Wonderful school! Kids from our area (CA) love it there. Keeping it real as Bates’ record-setting admission season hits the home stretch | News | Bates College

D is applying ED1 to Bates. 3.8 UW GPA, 4.2 W, 5 APs (Lit, Eng, Calc, History, Psych), 4 dual enrollment, 6 honors classes, not submitting SATs. ECs are all pretty standard - 2 HS sports, yearbook club, community service, clarinet, alpine skiing. No legacy, from the northeast. She wants to study pysch.

5 Likes

Good luck to your D! Ours is a freshman at Bates and LOVES it! She was deferred from ED1, then accepted RD. I would recommend lots of demonstrated interest!

3 Likes

Hi. Is the quarter report required for ED1? Our school is by semesters and has a unique grading system so it would he incredibly hard to get an accurate report. I called the admissions office and they said it most likely was not needed. I cant find any mention about it anywhere on the website. Thank you.

Any idea when decisions will be released this year?

Last year is was Saturday, December 10. They typically announce the day before that decisions will be out. I would guess the 9th or 16th this year. I remember how stressful these next handful of weeks were for our D and for us as we waited. Best of luck to you all❤️

1 Like

Hopefully Dec 9-10. Best of luck! Bates is a fantastic school! My kid loves it!

1 Like

My D24 is reapplying to Bates ED1 for the second time. Last year she got recruited but didn’t get in ED1. This year she is getting recruited again, again being told she is very likely to get in. Anybody have experience with anything like this?

1 Like

Did she go through a pre-read process in both years? With a positive pre-read, your odds should be good, but it makes sense that you would be gun shy.

@kure - what did she do in her interim year? I think that would make a difference!

1 Like

What sport?

D24 applied ED1. She is a recruited athlete for spring sport and coach said her application has her support. She did have a pre-read and it was mostly positive. She did have a couple of C’s last year (of course during the most important year, lol). She is maintaing a difficult course load this year (organic chem, lots of advanced courses, etc.) and the admissions person doing pre-read liked that. She currently goes to Phillips Exeter and they do not particpate in AP and their GPA is not typical. I think hers would translate to a 3.5, although I hear some schools get a bump due to rigor of education. She did not submit SAT’s and is two year captain of varsity sport. She also played jv sport, biology club, women in sports club, community service and 3 part time jobs. She has great letters of recomendation, did win a math award (yearly award, nothing too special). She transferred to PEA 10th grade year from a public school. She was ranked #1 in her class there, played same two sports (JV though due to COVID years and girls missing seasons), was captain there, won coaches award. New England and not a legacy.

Good luck to all the other applicants :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Also, plans to study biology, biochem or chemistry.

2 Likes