Batten down the hatches

<p>The Weather Channel’s Jim Cantore is giving reports from Tuscaloosa right in front of the CVS that was destroyed. He just announced that the total of fatalities in Tuscaloosa alone is now 36.</p>

<p>That is amazing! I too feel so attached to this community, and am heartbroken for the people of Tuscaloosa, and the South in general. I know after Katrina, the tornadoes in Oklahoma, and many floods my church organizes groups to go and help with clean up, and re-build. I am hoping they do for Tuscaloosa. I would love to be a part of that. I am sure it will be days before there is even power, or water, so it would be detrimental for outsiders to be down there too soon, but I feel so helpless here!</p>

<p>You all are in my thoughts and prayers!!!</p>

<p>CNN reporting on their web page that Gov. Bentley “said some students living off-campus were among the dead”. I hope this report is wrong as information is still developing.</p>

<p>^^^Unfortunately, I don’t think this is wrong. So Sad…</p>

<p>Everyone…</p>

<p>I’m hoping most of you by now have heard from your students and know that they are safe. And kudos to the university for its efforts in communicating updates.</p>

<p>I just want to share some thoughts on what may be coming next to help you and your kids…</p>

<p>I lived in the NO metro area during Katrina (still there now)… while there are obviously many differences between the two disasters, there are many similarities. </p>

<p>When there is so much damage and city services are as limited as they appear to be in Tuscaloosa, it will be difficult for the students. It will be very hard living without power in parts of town and all that means: limited number of ATMs, operating gas stations, grocery stores, fresh food, etc. It appears that UA is providing food, so hopefully that can continue.</p>

<p>After the basic needs of food, shelter, money, gas, etc, are met, then comes a much more difficult issue that was very widespread in the NOLA area after Katrina. Mental health professionals had a TREMENDOUS increase in patients…many of them who had lost homes, jobs, etc., but many more who had what many called “survivor guilt”…The first days after disaster, everyone kicks into emergency mode, volunteering, cleaning up, etc. Then it gets difficult because you just want your life to get back to normal, but normal can’t happen for a very long time. Then you feel guilty because so many others have lost everything and you only had minimal damage, but you just want to go back to normal…</p>

<p>I know from personal experience…</p>

<p>Anyway, I’m sharing some of this to help you help your students… Many people react in different ways, and they may have weathered the storm just fine physically, but they may need some help coping with this for weeks and months later.</p>

<p>Praying for all of you…
Allison</p>

<p>I’d also like to share that I just heard from D and at least at Ridgecrest West they still have no power or internet. Having said that, we probably know more about some of the situation than the students do since many are limited to just texting and phone calls if that. </p>

<p>If anyone can post here about any specific initiatives that the campus is doing to help the community, then maybe we can share them with our kids.</p>

<p>And unfortunately I don’t think MABama is wrong; I’ve been hearing some things on other sites that are not confirmed and I think final grades and exams will be minor thoughts as the news continues to roll in. </p>

<p>Does UA have a student Red Cross chapter?</p>

<p>Here is something about volunteers on twitter</p>

<p>RT @tuscaloosanews: Call for volunteers today at noon at St. Mathias Episcopal Church across from WalMart. <a href=“http://■■■■■■/mh1LQB[/url]”>http://■■■■■■/mh1LQB&lt;/a&gt; #alwx</p>

<p>Here is a link to the Tuscaloosa chapter of the Red Cross
[Mid</a> Alabama Region - Services - Emergency Services - 2011 Alabama Tornado Response](<a href=“http://www.alredcross.org/general.asp?SN=8722&OP=8724&SUOP=15620&IDCapitulo=DRGYJ0Q5XZ]Mid”>http://www.alredcross.org/general.asp?SN=8722&OP=8724&SUOP=15620&IDCapitulo=DRGYJ0Q5XZ)</p>

<p>I would concur with all of you! When we talked with DD last night she almost sounded robotic…this morning she is better but still absorbing the “shock” of the situation! They are worried about food, finals and friends…I know she was on her way to a volunteer meeting at the bowling alley. They are charging their cell phones on her boyfriends car charger. I have encourage her to keep in contact, try to keep calm. Her boyfriend is from Muscle shoals and there is some talk they may try to go there for the weekend…my thoughts and prayers are with all of you here on CC…God Bless!</p>

<p>Our thoughts, best wishes, and sympathies go out to everyone affected by this terrible storm. The University is such an integral part of the community, so obviously the effect will be widely felt locally (on campus and off), but I’m very sad to have learned that there are now confirmed fatalities among students living in locations off campus. I’m sure the entire community will band together in this time of need, and as we plan for our daughter to venture to Tuscaloosa in 4 short months, I know that spirit of caring, giving, and community service will be strongly felt for those newly arriving to the community. I am wondering if the activities surrounding Alabama Action etc. may be altered in the coming weeks to change the focus on assisting those in need in various ways rather than the previously planned school beautification activities?</p>

<p>as an alabama resident and mom of son at school (UAB)… just so happy that all your kids are ok!!! Having lived here 27 years…that was possibly the worst outbreak of storms i’ve seen… so dont worry that your kids will always be faced with this. Unfortunately our area (2 hours north) has had 2 towns destroyed with multiple fatalities…thoughts are with those families too</p>

<p>ahpimommy… if they go up 43 to get to shoals…there is alot of destruction in phil campbell, tell them to be careful</p>

<p>Just saw the Toomers for Tuscaloosa Facebook page. Beautiful statement about what really matters.</p>

<p>Rose808 wrote:

</p>

<p>Two are scheduled to fly back on Sunday, one on Friday. I heard from Rick Funk, who said that he heard his house had been spared. Don’t know about the other two yet. I’ll keep you posted if/when I learn anything else.</p>

<p>also the magiccitymom page on facebook is posting updated relief info</p>

<p>^^ I was also impressed by the Toomers for Tuscaloosa page. It was great to see.</p>

<p>For those who, like me, are up north wondering how they can help, I wanted to let you know that through Salvation Army you can donate directly to Tornado relief. There is a “causes” page on Facebook but I didn’t feel comfortable donating through Facebook, and I don’t believe Red Cross allows you to specifically send money to a certain cause, it just goes to general disaster relief. So just in case anyone else is looking for a way to donate specifically to Tornado relief, go to <a href=“https://secure20.salvationarmy.org/donation.jsp[/url]”>https://secure20.salvationarmy.org/donation.jsp&lt;/a&gt; and designate “April 2011 Tornado Outbreak.”</p>

<p>Text “GIVE” to 80888 to make a $10 donation to the Salvation Army’s tornado disaster response if you want to help victims of the storm that hit Tuscaloosa. You can also text “REDCROSS” to 90999 to make a $10 donation to the American Red Cross.</p>

<p>LifeSouth Community Blood Centers is asking the community to help by donating blood today. We’ll be at NorthRidge Fitness in Tuscaloosa from 10am-7pm. For more information please call 205-943-6000. All donors must be 16 years or older (16 yr olds must have parental consent), weigh 110 lbs. and show a photo I.D.</p>

<p>Good luck with the blood drive, that is such a great way to help, I hope many participate. I just donated blood on Tuesday, I wish there were some way I could ask them to send it down to T-Town LOL.</p>

<p>[Weather</a> Advisory - The University of Alabama](<a href=“Page Not Found | The University of Alabama”>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>The Q & A section has information & updates for concerned parents</p>

<p>Mayor Walter Maddox is live right now on FOX News … National</p>

<p>Also being covered via streaming here:</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.cbs42.com/content/video/live.aspx[/url]”>http://www.cbs42.com/content/video/live.aspx&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;