Batten down the hatches

<p>Hi. No power …using cell…heading 2 ttown w supplies. Younger son was visiting friend when that apt was destroyed. Son spent last nite pulling kidsout of apts on 15th which has lots damage. Some kids very injured and sadly dead. Pray 4 all affected.</p>

<p>For those of you who are on facebook, check-out the University of Alabama page. It is being updated with the latest information:
Classes and normal operations are canceled for tomorrow.
I haven’t heard from DD since last night. I’m afraid her phone is without power. One thing to think about, even if these kids are sent home, without power, you can’t pump gas, get $$ from atm, etc.</p>

<p>DD just called. She is on the way home to Kentucky. Her Dad said she sounded shell shocked. Prayers are going to all the students and residents of Alabama.</p>

<p>Be careful mom2k and everyone else out there…</p>

<p>Your post just made me cry. so sorry to hear about any deaths, but of students…i can’t imagine.</p>

<p>MaBama: unfortunately you are not wrong. Overhead shots show my former apartment complex Fontainbleu (Charleston Square) completely destroyed. Bent Tree apts also was hit hard. Both those complexes were very popular with students.</p>

<p>I fear the news that is coming and the pain that it is going to cause so many families. Continued prayers are needed.</p>

<p>RobD: You trying to ruin my palm reading business? (j/k). You’re right, I had been reading about the storm developments from various sources and knew we were in trouble. James Spann said the day before the storm hit that he never saw anything like what was forming. Said it was like the perfect storm. </p>

<p>I wanted to post on here and give a heads up but didn’t wanna scare anyone into panic. I was on the phone to lil bro the night before though telling him to be aware and not to be fooled by just the first wave of storms. Fortunately for everyone The University does a great job of notifying students of the impending storms with plenty of notice to seek shelter. Unfortunately though, no amount of preparation can protect one from a direct hit by a tornado the size of yesterday’s.</p>

<p>Just heard from my D again. Probably the last time for awhile as her cell is dying. They tried to go to the St. Mariah location to volunteer, but they have to interview them first, and she said it would take hours for all of them to be interviewed. They have decided to head to one of the apartment complexes that was damaged and help there. Then they plan to evacuate to Birmingham to one of the kids’ houses that has power, before dark.</p>

<p>Thank you to everyone who is volunteering to assist! Please be safe in your efforts.</p>

<p>a few years ago Memphis was hit by a storm that knocked out power for weeks so a couple of tips -</p>

<p>Tell the kids to conserve their gasoline - they won’t be able to get gas in areas with no electricity and may have to drive for miles to find open pumps.</p>

<p>when they do drive they should charge their phones if they have the car chargers</p>

<p>Here’s a link to video of aerial footage from Tuscaloosa this morning:</p>

<p>[Video</a> Landing Page](<a href=“http://www.myfoxal.com/category/195956/video-landing-page?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=5797388]Video”>http://www.myfoxal.com/category/195956/video-landing-page?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=5797388)</p>

<p>The damage is very severe and appears to be quite widespread…</p>

<p>catfan: my D just called & she’s coming home too. Her tone this morning is much heavier than last night. Everyone she knows is accounted for, and while there will be things for them to do, the kids are also a strain on the infrastructure, especially since there’s no power, etc.</p>

<p>[Saban</a>, Community Service Center address student volunteers | The Crimson White](<a href=“YouA moves from Youtube – The Crimson White”>YouA moves from Youtube – The Crimson White)</p>

<p>We will get through this folks. Sending all my love to those in pain.</p>

<p>Here are aerial still shots from the Tuscaloosa FB page…</p>

<p><a href=“Redirecting...”>Redirecting...;

<p>I’m a mother of a HS junior considering U of A for college, and so I frequent the Bama forum quite a bit. I’m so sorry this has happened - I recognize many of your screen names and feel a connection to you and your kids. I’m so sorry they’ve experienced such a trauma. Best to all…</p>

<p>Just for the time being - right RobD? I’m assuming my plans for picking up DS next Friday after finals still stands at this point…</p>

<p>The Crimson White has confirmed that the following buildings in Tuscaloosa have been damaged or destroyed.</p>

<p>Damaged
Stephanie’s Flowers
McCalister’s Deli
Landmark Collision Center
Pensoil
Mike and Ed’s
Mitsubishi Motors
Wendy’s
Lake Ave. houses
Lenny’s
Signature Loans
University Downs
Acker Appliance
Taco Casa
Hardee’s
Chevron
BP
CVS
Chipotle
Five Guys
Yogurt Mountain
Sports Clips
Starbucks
Regions
University Mall</p>

<p>Destroyed
Forest Lake houses
Smoothie King
Honey Baked Ham
Express Oil Change
Steakout
Milo’s
Krispy Kreme
Replays</p>

<p>In times like these it’s great to have strong leadership. Dr Witt and Tuscaloosa Mayor Walter Maddox are as good as they get. Mayor Maddox was most impressive during the interview that just aired on CNN.</p>

<p>And reports are that Coach Saban, Coach Grant, Coach Cochran and other University athletic coaches and personnel are out around town helping in any way they can.</p>

<p>AL34: yes, just for now. A friend who lives in our town was coming home and she’s hitching a ride. </p>

<p>Thanks for that list of closures!</p>

<p>al… if he can get to uab…or maybe my son can get him…son could put him up in his dorm</p>

<p>Absolutely stunning and distressing news. Best wishes to all from us on the West Coast. Please keep us all posted on the status of your kids and how we can best help.</p>

<p>Just saw this posted on FB guys as far as next week…</p>

<p>The University of Alabama
Normal operations are suspended as recovery efforts continue. The University will not conduct final exams next week as scheduled. Students will have the option of accepting their existing grades as of April 27, 2011, or they can take a final exam at a later date. For more information, please visit [Weather</a> Advisory - The University of Alabama](<a href=“Page Not Found | The University of Alabama”>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama).</p>