Battle for Georgia: UGA (Morehead Honors College) vs Emory

any thoughts on this comparison for an entering out of state (Northeast) freshman? daughter got in off Emory’s wait list.

obviously UGA (Honors) is a significant savings financially, even as an out of state student, but let’s leave that out of the equation for now.
Intended major is poly sci for now. not a shy kid- pretty outgoing.

does either option convey any kind of advantage in terms of grad school and employment success? in terms of social opportunities and quality of peers?

bottom line: which would you choose for you or your kid?

I’m not sure Emory provides enough value added (relative to UGA Honors) for a general poli sci degree. But if she would do the QSS program with a poli sci concentration, then it might.

1 Like

UGA is strong, especially in international politics.

Depends on the ultimate goal but Poli sci, in general, is not a major I would spend on unless it was a top tier school. Emory is not quite at that level IMHo…close but not quite.

In general, the students, more than the name will determine their career success, especially in this field. My daughter turned down UGA Honors for a much lower ranked school and has a great internship lined up this summer - not easy for any poli Sci student anywhere but she hustled.

Emory is beautiful and much smaller than UGA. So if I were to flip, it’d be based on fit. But not for outcomes etc.

I would choose UGA but that’s because I don’t see the value of a full pay Emory, especially for Poli Sci. My daughter got into UGA (Honors, U of SC Honors , UF, Washington & Lee, American and more but chose a lesser ranked school based on fit.

So if she wants humongous and football, then UGA. If the size is overwhelming and she wants the more intellectual, quieter vibe, then Emory.

Good luck.

1 Like

If both are affordable I’d consider which environment your child prefers.

1 Like

she prefers UGA, I think. She’s not afraid of big and bustling. Has a roommate arranged. Mainly she is just too far along in her emotinal commitment to turn back- and that might hold true even if it was Harvard’s wait list and not “just” Emory’s. hopefully the Honors College gives her all the connections and networking and academic challenge she can handle…

13 Likes

Sounds like you have your answer.

1 Like

I’m guessing most WL kids are too far along emotionally. Likely why schools have such long wait lists.

Sue had UF, UT, Arizona etc so it does seem like she likes big.

And nothing wrong with that.

She’ll have more name rec too. Everyone knows UGA. Not everyone knows Emory althiugh it’s a wonderful and beautiful school.

Good luck to her.

1 Like

I would be in another camp here.
I do not agree that everyone knows UGA but not everyone knows Emory.
Emory is an absolute winner for premed and pre-law.
Also in terms of connections Emory is in Atlanta, and UGA is in Athens.

5 Likes

In the northeast many people know Emory. If she prefers UGA then that’s where she should go! Congrats!

3 Likes

Many. But not all. Like a rice, WUSTL, it has an identity issue. I’m not saying to eliminate it for that. My daughter applied and was WL. My sister thought it was an HBCU.

I would say UGA is superior in Poli Sci but where you go for Poli Sci, short of a few, matters little.

Back to my comment - the reason I made it was to assure OP. His whole journey was filled with prestige challenges - ie is UGA as good as ….

And I’m simply saying more will recognize UGA than Emory. Trying to amp up the confidence.

I believe this to be true.

I didn’t say no will not know Emory so when I hear many in the NE will know…everyone will know UGA. Not just many. They may not know it’s now a powerhouse in academia but they’ll know it.

Not diminishing a super wonderful Emory. Just piling on UGA assurances. Thx

And the student doesn’t seem to have doubt in the decision.

Does she care if she attends a school with largely GA residents vs a student body with representation from many domestic/international locations? If $ is no object, and if she truly was undecided and hadn’t felt connected to one or the other, I’d say Emory is the choice. Its well known and well respected.

**ETA: If she’d won a Foundation Fellows I’d have voted for UGA. But otherwise, even with the honors college, I’d strongly consider Emory. Has she visited both?

5 Likes

All people are different and their perspectives are too. I do understand that UGA is technically on the rise. However, as a person who used to live in Atlanta many years ago, I would always choose Emory and GaTech over UGA given that money is available. Both just have different calibers of students. I do understand that there are smart students everywhere.

2 Likes

I live and work in NY/NJ. Most people here know Emory. It’s a very, very popular school. My colleague’s niece transferred out of Emory because “everybody” was from NJ (I am sure this was an exaggeration lol). There are some schools here that “everybody” seems to know about and apply to, and one of them is Emory. Some schools attract more NE kids.

UGA is not as “popular” here, but that does not mean it is not a strong school and is not deserving of a confidence boost! Personally, I did not hear about Rice until I joined CC. Although it is now becoming a little more well known here, it was not a school that had many applicants from our area when my daughter was applying to college. Naviance had 4 dots, while Emory was packed like Penn Station during rush hour (before Covid).

I think if this student likes UGA, that is where she should go. I also want to comment on the fact that most students will be from Georgia. That could be a positive or a negative, depending on the student. My D went to a school with an 18% cap on OOS students.

This student’s success is going to depend on her, what she takes advantage of etc. It is not going to depend on whether she has Emory or UGA written on her diploma. If she is emotionally connected to UGA and is happy, there is nothing wrong with giving up Emory. I know plenty of successful college grads from many types of schools.

Best wishes!

1 Like

Your daughter can be successful as a grad of either of these colleges. She can get accepted to grad school, get a job, have a wonderful social life, and meet plenty of smart students…at both schools.

At this point, she needs to look at reasons why she wouldn’t want to attend one of them…because the reasons TO attend are probably very similar.

It is totally fine if the OP’s daughter prefers UGA, and I certainly wouldn’t fault her for choosing it. She should, if that’s where the fit is best.

Some points have been raised in the thread, though, that I think are a little off base.

Emory has much, much more prestige, at least in the northeast, and it is extremely well known. (ETA, and in the South as well).

I’m not sure how much more elite a school would need to be for @tsbna44 to be full pay at a school :smile: (does that school exist??) but to me, T20 is pretty rarified :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Sometimes some schools are well known moreso for their successful sports teams than their academics. A friend who was a high school college counselor noted that when she was working there was a notable rise in applications to schools whose basketball or football teams did well in the previous seasons. UGA would be well known for it’s back to back national championships.

3 Likes

My point is - and I stand by it - and again, we here are not the norm - but if you stopped 20 random HR or hiring people in 5 states (100 in the Northeast), far more would know UGA than Emory. But I say the same of Rice and WUSTL. And the country is far more than the Northeast - which everyone is quoting.

I already noted - in this case I’m only even bringing this up to support OP’s child’s decision.

Just as it has been through his entire journey, OP is perhaps struggling himself with the student’s decision. The student, as I recall, has been accepted to school’s such as UF, UT Austin, U Washington - and I think even OP felt based on rank or perception, UGA was a notch below. I remember one chain he started was - is UGA the new Michigan of the South? Just thinking about that question provides a lot of context to his (the parent’s) thought process or as I see it - trying to justify his studen’t decision if they choose what OP has life perception as maybe not a strong as a school.

With a UGA GPA of 4.3 (note, their calc is “lower” than other schools so a 4.3 there might be a 4.6 at UF) and a 1503 SAT/34 ACT, the student will be in fine company.

So I work for an Atlanta company and yes, we have far more UGA than Emory people (makes sense by size of the school) but I would hesitate to say - I’d go to Emory over UGA because the student likes what UGA has to offer. At Emory, you don’t have huge Greek, you don’t have football games, you don’t have the insane college spirirt and huge campus.

What you do have is a gorgeous campus several miles outside the city center, a more academically focused student body, and yes a much higher US News ranking. And for a science oriented student, access to medical type facilities.

And yes, Emory will be more geographically diverse - as they have 28% from Va up and 27% from the Southeast and 8% from the midwest, etc. But don’t forget, this is in part from the fact that Georgia is one of the states - very few top kids are leaving - because the state buys in their attendance and so this impacts geographic diversity.

But this goes back to fit - and I’ve seen it first hand. My daughter turned down these same schools (not Emory as she was WL) but UF, UGA Honors, etc. and even Washington & Lee - in order to attend College of Charleston Honors. Why? Because she felt she belonged and it didn’t matter that I wouldn’t have made that choice. And she’s had opportunities to meet diplomats, ambassadors, has several professional mentors via the school, and will work for our state this Summer in a Civil Rights role at good coin for a poli sci internship ($20 an hour because many are for $0 an hour). Now, we didn’t know that, when she started, she would have access to mentors and diplomats - so that was an added bonus.

The truth is, UGA / UF, etc. are more akin to Rutgers or Penn State or Washington - they are strong flagships with many traditions and offerings whether it be Greek, sports, other campus attributes.

An Emory, while ranked lower and lesser known,is more akin to a - for NE purposes - a Penn, etc.

We are talking McIntosh Apple to Granny Smith Apple - both are yummy but they are different apples.

And through the OP’s journey - there’s been lots of threads created by him, it’s clear (to me anyway) that the daughter prefers UGA - and I’m simply supporting him with the notion it’s a fine choice.

So the question asked of me is how much more an elite school would I need to pay full? We set up a budget - and anyone who didn’t provide any potential of merit wasn’t on the list. So we weren’t applying nor would we get into a Harvard/Yale/Princeton - but if that was a possibility, I don’t know if my thought process on full pay would change. My daughter was turned down at Rice and Emory (a mean, a WL is a rejection is 99% of cases) and didn’t stay on the WL at W&M - but fortunately, I wouldn’t have needed to make the decision if it came up because my daughter would have chosen C of C over Rice or Emory and did vs. W&L just as my son would have chosen his school (Alabama) over WUSTL had he had the choice (he didn’t)…but he was sold the day he visited. I had to convince him to stay on the WUSTL waitlist - he didn’t care he wasn’t accepted. But no, I would not have paid $80K for WUSTL…we had a budget and we were sticking to it and yes, looking back, I do like that i’m out maybe $150-175K for two kids college educations, who both seem to be keeping up with the Joneses from other schools. And it’s not going to provide any strain on my financial future.

And I think that’s where OP is - his daughter was sold on UGA over these other large school options and he is the one struggling. But he should be at peace with his daughter’s decision.

She, not the school or school name, will make her success in life. There are heroes from Hofstra and unsuccessful people from the Ivys and other top 20 schools.

This student is seeking law school or perhaps a Poli Sci major - and frankly, short of a few schools (and that’s for a student, who perhaps want a career in Wall Street which doesn’t seem to be this student), a poli sci or other related social science is not something I would pay top dollar for. I’d say it for Law School - and since you can see which colleges people go to Law School from (for example, Harvard has enrolled students from 174 colleges including from schools like Fairleigh Dickinson, Lamar, Arkahsas, Arizona, Cal State LA, Northridge, Nevada Reno, Wyoming, Kentucky, etc. - choosing to go to UGA over Emory (as the student appears to want to do) will not hinder chances - especially if she takes advantage of all that UGA will offer her with the increased mentorship that will be available in Honors.

People assume that the big name cache guarantees things that it simply doesn’t. And for a student that doesn’t yet have even the foggiest of ideas about what might lie ahead, I see Emory as a different experience but I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s one that will put the student ahead in life vs. UGA. That will be dependent upon the student and not either school’s name.

Hope that makes sense.

OP - you’ve done a great job raising a top student. Her hard work paid off with a lot of wonderful future opportunities. She’s chosen one. She’s learned to love it, already starting her social journey with the roommate thing, etc.

It’s time to let her fly a bit, stand back, guide when she needs support, but to let her make the decisions that will impact her future.

Thanks

1 Like

Assume this is anecdotal, or do you have any source for this hypothesis?

3 Likes

Yes it’s anecdotal and mostly football related. And it’s my opinion…

Most state flagships based on a state name - so a UGA or a Penn State - are going to have insane name recognition whereas an Auburn or Rutgers or Clemson - and maybe they’re not the right ones because of sports - but some not following the “nomenclature” may be less. But does someone know what state a Truman State is in or a Lamar, etc.

We see many write on here that they’ve never heard of a Hamilton or Washington & Lee or a Macalester or Colby, etc. - so I think this is pretty common…it’s my belief anyway. Someone noted they didn’t know Rice just a few posts ago until they got on the CC…so while it’s anecdotal, I believe if any research was done it would convey that thought.

Again, that’s not to dismiss a really great university - but just trying to make OP comfortable with his daughter’s decision…it’s a fine one because it’s right for her.

There’s no chart that says, if you go to X ranked school, you’ll 100%, definitely do better than if you go to Y ranked school.

Now will X grads do better in life (if you measure financially) then Y grads…perhaps. But X grads on average are probably stronger human beings and my assumption would be that the stronger human being would excel, regardless of school attended.

Let’s respond to the OP rather than insisting on getting the last word in on an OT debate

7 Likes