Baurch Vs Fordham Vs Manhattan for Business/Finance

<p>Hi there, I’m a current New York City Senior and have a dilemma that I would hope this forum can shed some light upon. I plan to major within Business/Finance within college and hopefully grab a job in Wall Street. I don’t plan to move out of NYC, at least not for a while, but it is a plausible future. I do plan to commute between all three schools.</p>

<p>For Baruch College, I was accepted as regular student and since my family’s income is on the lower spectrum, I’m pretty sure the Financial aid packet would cover all of the tuition.</p>

<p>For Fordham University, I was accepted as a HEOP student in the Gabelli School of Business at Rose Hill Campus which covers all of tuition. When I did my interview for HEOP, the man who interview stated the max amount of loans I would take out for school purposes would be three to six thousand each year.</p>

<p>For Manhattan College, I was accepted as a regular student to the School of Business with a Dean’s Award. This dean award covers about 11.5k each year. The financial aid packet that was sent with this school says the total Financial Aid for the year of 2013-2014 would be a total of 35.8k With 3.5k of Fed Firect Subsd Stafford Loan and 2.0k of Fed Direct Unsub Stafford Loan alongside a 1.5k workstudy.</p>

<p>Any information given would be taken much into consideration, Thank you.</p>

<p>Take Baruch and save the loans for grad school or professional school.</p>

<p>If you were talking about Harvard or MIT or Columbia vs Baruch, I might think differently, However, Fordham may be a good school ,but it isn’t in the class of the schools mentioned. Take Baruch!</p>

<p>I would definitely go for Baruch, the loans you would be required to take out at Fordham would add up quickly, and you certainly do not want to end up bankrupt after you complete your education. I have little knoweledge of Manhattan College, but I do know that Baruch’s business school is one of the best, and competes with Harvard and other prestigious schools. Go for it!</p>

<p>While Baruch is a good school for business, it just not have the name recognition, the reputation or the alumni connections of a school like Fordham. Taxguy is VERY passionate about Baruch, but his advice of eschewing power schools to bolster his alumni pride is really not the best advice. Yes you can save money going to a CUNY school, but that is not the only factor to consider. Baruch is very well known in NYC. Out of NYC, Baruch is not really known but Fordham, for example, is nationally and internationally known.</p>

<p>Look at the banks, the investment firms, Insurance companies, KPMG etc. and you will note which schools are represented at the upper levels.</p>

<p>Some proof? take a look at the results of the Paris School of Mines top CEO research. They look at THOUSANDS of colleges world wide to see which fortune 500 companies had the most top executives and come up with a list of 700 schools. Looking at only US and UK schools, here is the first 63:</p>

<p>1- Harvard
5- Oxford
12- Columbia
13- Stanford
14- MIT
19- Northwestern
21- Chicago
15- Cornell
29- Berkley
30- Cambridge
35- Yale
38- Georgia Tech, Notre Dame
59- Dartmouth
63- FORDHAM, Johns Hopkins, Duke, </p>

<p>You can go to their website and check this out yourself. Looking at the entire list of 700, I did not see Baruch.</p>

<p>As I said, Baruch is a very good school and certainly cheaper than the many private schools Taxguy can mention…</p>

<p>But sometimes you get what you pay for.</p>

<p>RamRay, I guess if you are looking for a job in europe, you may…just may… have a point. However, if you are looking for a job in NY or even in the North Eastern part of the US, Baruch is VERY well known. Moreover, for accounting , the study doesn’t address this. Baruch is one of the most well known school for accounting in the U.S.
Moreover, yes, I make a big deal about the cost of a school. To me paying $4000 per YEAR or LESS is much better than paying 35K per year in almost any situation. This is particularly true if you need to incur significant student loans.
Finally, I have found that the job chances, promotions, and careers of most people are mostly correlated with attitude and people skills, and NOT on the school that you went to. Assuming that this is the case, paying an extra 120K to a school like Fordham doesn’t make sense to me.</p>

<p>I have no idea if Baruch is that well known like what Taxguy has always been saying. But, taxguy made a very good point about the job chances. I believe that it all depends on yourself. The important thing is if you can take the opportunities available and take advantage of them. Small things can become big if you know how to use them wisely.</p>

<p>the positive side of schools like Fordham and NYU is the networking and strong recruitments. the (-) is the super expensive cost.</p>

<p>(+) Baruch is the affordable tuition. (-) is maybe the networking and recruitments are not as strong as NYU.</p>

<p>But, the thing is that those schools are located in NYC. There are so maaaaanyyyyyyy opportunities available for you to network. </p>

<p>I would go to Baruch for sure.</p>

<p>Look, I agree Baruch is a good school for business, but you need to be careful when you make sweeping statements that it is equal to NYU and other major schools for a fraction of the cost. There is a place for public programs like CUNY, SUNY, UCLA etc. and no doubt the success one has in life is as a result of one’s own efforts, but there can be many advantages to a well known private school and in this competative world, every advantage counts. Hey, if all public schools were all we needed, we’d be able to be a socialst state and only have publics, but many of our best schools are private and while expensive, offer some things publics don’t. This is just a reality and I have no axe to grind.</p>

<p>It is more than higher rankings and strong alumni network. Truth is, in NYC, if 4 canditates are applying for the same job from Columbia, NYU, Fordham and Baruch and all have 3.4’s, do you really think most recruiters see those 4 schools equally? Now, head out to Philly, Chicago, Denver , LA or any other city and Baruch is barely known, but the first three I list are. I don’t mean to sound hard, but I know this for a fact.</p>

<p>Look at it this way: Kia is a nice, inexpensive and fairly reliable car. Is it safe to say that it is the equal of a Mercedes, Buick, Audi, Jaguar etc. at only a fraction of the cost, and it would be foolish to spend money on any other expensive car? Many people would disagree with that logic; Kia is good, solid basic transportation yet there are MANY people who gladly pay much more for a car with greater value that goes beyond the bottom line price.</p>

<p>I cited the Paris Mines study. The leaders of Fort. 500 companies represent the hight of what one can achieve in business. Was I surprised to see little Fordham so high on the list, beating out many schools thought to be better? yes. Was I surprised not to see Baruch? honestly no, it is not a nationally or internationaly known school. This is but one example.</p>

<p>Again, Baruch is a good B school and I am not taking away anything from your school (after all, I pay takes to keep it affordable ;^)…but it can’t match the range of possibilities of other, big name programs. I say again, you often get what you pay for.</p>

<p>Take this from someone who’s been in the field for several years… I would definitely say it depends on what it is you want to do. If you plan to go into I-banking, I would go to Fordham and knock out a 4.0 and good internships because Baruch and MC are definitely not target schools for IB. For just about anything else in finance and business chances are you would need an MBA before you hit c-suite so I would go to Baruch, still get a 4.0 and good internships and a good entry level position, and then apply to a top b-school. You’ll be ahead of a lot of your peers from other schools when it comes to loans because you won’t have insane undergrad loans. Def talk to people who went to the schools and get a good feel for what it is they do in their jobs and if that’s something you want. If you went the accounting route, Baruch for a BS/MS in Accounting is not a bad idea at all. </p>

<p>**sorry about the choppy grammar… Writing this on an iPhone</p>