Beautiful Campus and Friendly People

<p>My husband and son are wrapping up their visit to UA this afternoon and absolutely love the school. </p>

<p>They arrived yesterday and toured the campus and town of Tuscaloosa. DS really liked the energy of the people on campus. He said that the students were happy and friendly. He especially liked the fact that there were so many people outside enjoying themselves. He didn’t get that feel at Auburn.</p>

<p>Both DH and DS texted me pictures of the buildings and the river. They said the campus is beautiful. </p>

<p>Now I’m just keeping my fingers crossed that he is admitted next fall!</p>

<p>All it takes is one visit!</p>

<p>Yes…the campus and people do sell the school. </p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>I just got off the phone with my HS junior daughter who is visiting Vanderbilt for Black and Gold Day. She liked Vandy’s campus. It’s very pretty. She was not impressed with the dorm and hated the communal bathrooms. She found the tour boring. She did not get the T-shirt. She will not be applying. M2CK, it’s all your fault. Because of all your promoting UA, she toured there. You spoiled her for anywhere else. </p>

<p>Alabama’s beautiful campus, friendly people, the super suites, scholarships and having her major are hard to beat. We will look at a few more campuses, but I think she will still say, as she did on last summer’s tour, “This is my school. These are my people.” </p>

<p>Hopefully an early application and one and done for us. Roll Tide.</p>

<p>M2CK: Thank you especially for all your mentions of NM. Without that knowledge, D would not have even taken the PSAT. The GC had never even heard of it. The opportunity that that information gave my daughter is appreciated beyond words. Thank you again.</p>

<p>YB: D1 had spent time on VU’s campus and thought it would be a good fit (she ended up applying.) Between 2 summer programs & the fact that I am an employee, she had a good sense of the campus. That being said, she hated the Black & Gold Day. Her quote: “if that was the only time I ever went on campus, I wouldn’t have thought about VU again. Worst tour/preview day I’ve been on.” She said there were too many people in the groups that toured and she didn’t get a sense of what Vanderbilt was really like.</p>

<p>I’ve seen B&G tours going through campus & they are huge groups. It’s a shame.</p>

<p>Yankee Belle…glad to help…and glad to have "spoiled your D for anywhere else. " ;)</p>

<p>Welcome to Bama. </p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>Anyone here active in the Huntsville UA Alumni Association? Yall need to nominate Mom for an Honorary Degree from UA. Of course Mom already has a fine degree, I think from USC, but we really should find a way to honor Mom.</p>

<p>LOL…</p>

<p>From UCI</p>

<p>I was too poor for USC…lol</p>

<p>You went to UCI? No wonder you are ambivalent towards modernist architecture. :stuck_out_tongue: There’s a brutalist nightmare if I’ve ever seen one!</p>

<p>Rob: I’ll post more of her impressions when she gets home.<br>
UA being her favorite will definitely make senior year much less stressful.</p>

<p>Not to mention she eats ants :-). </p>

<p>You shoulda went to UC santa Cruz, Mom. Fighting Banana Slugs is one of the greatest nicknames ever.</p>

<p>“Fighting Banana Slugs is one of the greatest nicknames ever.”</p>

<p>LOL!!! Is that the place that has the annual Banana Slug Festival, complete with a gourmet slug-cooking contest? Ewwww, would hate to be one of the judges for that event!</p>

<p>*No wonder you are ambivalent towards modernist architecture. :stuck_out_tongue: There’s a brutalist nightmare if I’ve ever seen one! *</p>

<p>It is because I’ve been drowned in Calif’s ugly education architecture (no beauty, cuz too much gets spent greasing palms and other redtape issues!), I greatly appreciate the beauty of schools in the South, NE and some in the MidWest.</p>

<p>Quite understandable. The beauty of our campus from 150+ years of history. It’s too bad more of the pre-Civil War buildings didn’t survive the burning of campus. The campus was designed by a disciple of Thomas Jefferson and thus was modeled after the University of Virginia.</p>