Being African American at a Top School

<p>Can you put the link to the slam up? I would like to see it. I love listening to spoken word :)</p>

<p>Sent from my SGH-T589 using CC</p>

<p><a href=“2012 - Brave New Voices (Finals) - Philadelphia Round #2 - YouTube”>2012 - Brave New Voices (Finals) - Philadelphia Round #2 - YouTube;

<p>This may be it…</p>

<p>Thanks I’ll take a look.</p>

<p>Sent from my SGH-T589 using CC</p>

<p>I understand the drama surrounding the haircut. However these days, the guys wear the hair long until they go home for break. The sisters wear braids or a scarf (maybe wash and press on their own) until they find a weave shop close by or go home for the holidays. Trust me, don’t let these types of things prevent you from attending a school in a white community. It always works out.</p>

<p>I think you HAVE to think about the community and resources for African Americans when considering where you will go. I agree that a lack of resources should not prevent you per se, but it should be factored in. It can add a layer of stress and some handle it fine…while others I think are not prepared to deal with that issue while handling all else that goes with a transition to a top school. Sometimes, not having a ethnic church that reminds you of your home church, for instance, can be a bigger hit than one would think.</p>

<p>I went to a boarding school and we had to do/cut one another’s hair, always run the ‘black history’ programs and do anything related to diversity and dated within our own little pool. Those that did not jive with us were considered Oreos (usually blacks who came to school having not had a black network and did not know how or want to have one now). Now we were 14 and 15 years old, but I wonder if you find this at top colleges?</p>

<p>The plus was that we were close and had friends about campus, but had a really ‘family’ within our group, made up of blacks of all income and geographic levels. That kind of support can mean a lot. If you have been a part of a ‘team’ (sports, chess, band, whatever) that was supportive and close, you know how helpful that can be. Same with a supportive group of black students with black admins that embrace you…the late will FIND someone to do your hair and help you get to church, no joke.</p>

<p>HSG</p>

<p>I mean I don’t know if you consider Purdue University a top college but it is a great college for engineering. I have learned so much and have been pushed to my limits. I have been given many job opportunities as well. I also feel prepared for the real working world in the industry. If you have to choice to go to Purdue for engineering please consider it because they will make you into a strong intelligent engineer.</p>