Being Jewish

<p>Pennylane notes,"he south is a different culture than New York, however, colleges have their own unique culture. This is why “fit” is an important part of the college decision. As a parent, I want to be part of the process, but also I want my child to be happy at their school. For the OP, I hope you and your mom can come to a solution that is win-win for both of you. "</p>

<p>Response: After living and lecturing in the south most of my life,( although I was also brought up in NY) I have made some observations. Is it possible to encounter anti-semitism? Yes, but you can encounter that anywhere. My daughter who shares an apartment in Manhattan with some other people encountered it in one of her apartment mates recently. I wouldn’t worry about it at Alabama.
However, as Pennylane notes above, the southern culture is different that what you have encountered in NY. I personally like it in the south,but I have been living in a semi-- southern state ( Maryland) must of my life. You need to check it out and get a feel for the students and the school’s culture. I did visit Alabama several times during my travels and LOVED what I saw. Due to their great scholarship policies, there are a LOT of northern students in attendance there too. However, you need to check it out for yourself.</p>