Belmont University has taken over Watkins Art School and will purge all non-Christian faculty

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/chaos-unfolds-as-students-and-faculty-at-nashville-arts-school-learn-of-merger-with-christian-university-1767246

Posting this because Belmont has a music program that pops up in discussions here and I personally hadn’t realized the extent to which it’s Christian identity informs not only its hiring but what students are allowed to study and create. The article paints a clearer picture, and is information I’d want to have if I were applying there.

1 Like

Closing thread. See existing thread in Parents Forum

This posting caught my eye because my daughter is considering applying to Belmont however she’s not religious. I understand Belmont has a Christian bent. Do they push religion on their students or do they support them whether they’re religious or not?

From what I’ve heard it’s a push on students.

I know of people leaving (who even identify as Christian) because it was so pushed and forced to be incorporated in every aspect of classes.

1 Like

I don’t think that’s true. My son is a current music major at Belmont and is not religious. He needs to take religion classes, 1, every semester I think. But, most of his friends are fairly secular or if they go to church at home, they don’t discuss it at school. I think the music program draws from all over, because it’s Nashville.

1 Like

I got my MBA at Belmont, and Christ/Christianity were never mentioned in any of my courses.

1 Like