Benefits of Honors College?

<p>My stepson was admitted to Bama and awarded the Presidential Scholarship (thank you Mother Nature for that extended deadline). Now a school that was never even on the radar is his front runner. Unfortunately for us, we won’t have an opportunity to visit Tuscaloosa for the first time until April so everything we know about Alabama is from online research and talking to a couple of my co-workers who graduated in the last few years. I have read and heard nothing but great things so we will likely move forward and pay the new student fee and just hope he loves it as much as we think he will when we visit.</p>

<p>All that said, he also qualifies for admission to Honors College. I am by no means brilliant and know NOTHING about college honors programs. So…what are the benefits of applying to and enrolling in this program? I would love any insight anyone could provide so he can make the best decision for his future. If it matters, he is planning to major in Computer Science.</p>

<p>Welcome! My D will be a freshman in the HC next year. There are several threads dealing with this issue, but I’ll highlight a few perks to being in the HC that we’ve gleaned from our visit. First and foremost, is early registration. That is a huge perk. The HC kids get first dibs on classes. Second, many honors classes are smaller then their non-honors counterpart. Third, living and studying with the best and brightest kids at UA will hopefully help all the kids reach higher. Lastly, the HC dorms are ridiculously nice. I’m certain I’m missing something, but that’s a pretty good start.</p>

<p>Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Kustepmom: My S also has the Presidential, is majoring in CS, and has not visited yet. He applied very early because of the scholarship and was accepted into the Honors College. U of A started out being a safety, but has been moving up the food chain since his # 1 college choice has failed to show him any love scholarship-wise, even though he got in there very early. He’s been so busy with sports that we haven’t been able to plan a trip to Tuscaloosa. As soon as his state tournament is over next week, we plan to make the trip to see the campus. My hubby graduated from Auburn, so he’s seen the U of A campus many times and says it’s one of the prettiest in the country. His head is about to explode with the thought of our S going to Bama, of course, since U of A and Auburn are football rivals, but Auburn’s scholarship was not nearly as good as U of A’s. So to answer your question, I don’t know much about the Honors College either, but I do know that he is getting an additional $2500 a year from Engineering (I don’t know if that’s because of honors or if it’s just from being in Engineering) and that honors kids get priority registration and have the opportunity to live in “honors” housing provided they sign up early enough. My older S was in one of the top honors programs at UT-Austin and he was treated like a king all 4 years and got into a bunch of good med schools when he graduated. So my two cents worth is that I definitely think the Honors College at any university is well worth doing.</p>

<p>Oh my gosh. I’m a Rock Chalk girl…it’s going to take me awhile to adjust to this Roll Tide thing. :wink: (Though my Jayhawks terrible performance in football could definitely persuade me to cheer for Bama during football season.)</p>

<p>He should apply to and enroll in the Honors College if for no reason other than the priority registration. The Honors College requirements are not all that difficult to meet and even if one is not able to ultimately complete all the requirements, it’s worth enrolling for the perks. Other benefits include honors housing, ability to take honors college seminars, which are small (about 15 students), discussion based classes that tend to be interesting, the Honors College Assembly (social), and the ability to do Outdoor/Alabama Action the week before school starts. Those programs are an outstanding way to become acclimated and meet new friends.</p>

<p>Welcome! As a CS major your S should also receive $2500 a year extra scholarship. It has nothing to do with the Honors College. Enjoy your visit. Roll Tide!!</p>

<p>Thanks all for the info! He went ahead and applied to Honors College last night not really seeing any downside to doing so. Really appreciate the feedback y’all gave us.</p>

<p>Hi,
Did he put CS as his major? If so, he’ll get more money. Some kids don’t know that and put undeclared when they start in eng’g or CS and miss out on the money.</p>

<p>IF he didn’t list CS, then he needs to go to My Bama, academics tab, scroll down, left column and indicate CS.</p>

<p>You’re going to love Bama when you visit. April is usually so beautiful…the tulips are blooming, the dogwoods are blooming…and of course, the new STEM buildings are very impressive - looks wise and technology wise.</p>

<p>Definitely have your son apply to the HC. don’t worry about the “essay”. Just write a couple of sentences that introduce him. The essay doesn’t matter for content or length for admittance.</p>

<p>When in April will you visit?</p>

<p>first set up the campus tour online…try for an early morning time! Don’t bother with the “info session”, you’ll get that info here pretty much on the Alabama forum on College Confidential which is VERY active.
<a href=“http://talk.college-confidential.com/university-alabama/”>http://talk.college-confidential.com/university-alabama/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>In the email include:</p>

<p>Student’s name and contact info</p>

<p>Date and time of the Campus tour that you’ve reserved.</p>

<p>GPA and test scores (include likely NMSF if applicable)</p>

<p>Likely majors*</p>

<p>Career interests (including med, law, etc)</p>

<p>Anything particular that you want to see. *If you have an interest in seeing the new Science and Engineering Complex, let them know.</p>

<p>Honors Recruitment</p>

<p>Susan Alley
Assistant Coordinator
270 Nott Hall
205-348-5599
<a href=“mailto:susan.alley@ua.edu”>susan.alley@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Allison and her assistant will arrange the rest of the day…meeting with faculty, honors people, touring honors dorms, etc.</p>

<p>Sometimes mail goes to their SPAM folders, so call them if you haven’t heard back within a few business days. These ladies do an excellent job and work very hard</p>

<p>Here’s a video and pics about the school…
<a href=“- YouTube”>- YouTube;

<p><a href=“http://acresummit.ua.edu/store/store_files/Jason_Walker-207.pdf”>http://acresummit.ua.edu/store/store_files/Jason_Walker-207.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Pics of the new Science & Engineering Complex begin on page 6, Student housing pics begin on page 12, </p>

<p>Thank you for all of the great information. We will definitely do all that you suggest. Planning our visit for April 11 and 12. </p>

<p>When he logs into his My Bama it does show him as being in School of Engineering…so hopefully we’re all setup for that extra $2500. I’m assuming he will get some sort of notification of that additional scholarship.</p>

<p>^^^
Yes, the CoE will send it on their letterhead.</p>

<p>Congrats!!! Your remaining costs will be quite reasonable! :)</p>

<p>I can’t believe it will be cheaper than my alma mater which is in state and only about 20 minutes from our house! Needless to say he is quite excited that he is getting the opportunity to get further away from us AND have less money out of pocket for himself and our family. ;)</p>

<p>"Needless to say he is quite excited that he is getting the opportunity to get further away from us "</p>

<p>As moms…we know that sometimes that excitement can go both ways. :wink: (even when we love 'em to death)</p>