Bentley, Lehigh, Bucknell, Lafayette college differences

I have a 2025 baseball player who is looking to study mathematics/data science/quant analysis with future business focus; Possibly later go on to grad school. He’s interested in Southern schools but practically speaking… everyone in his sport wants to do the same. So I see better opportunities up north. So I’m gently suggesting some other schools. I’m not sure how well funded the baseball programs are at each of those schools (Bentley, Lehigh, Bucknell, Lafayette) and baseball is typically not ever more than 25% scholarship. So I would be interested in some merit money also (say $20+k) . He’ll graduate from a top 100 USNWR HS. Likely 3.9+ uwGPA/1450+ SAT.

1. Is that kind of merit a reasonable expectation for a recruited athlete w those scores?
  2. I’m a little worried about the drinking/partying reputation of 2-3 of those schools. Kid is pretty straight laced (so far). Any insights into the culture/how happy students are at each?
  3. I guess… sell me on one of those schools.
    Thanks in advance

I think Bucknell, Lehigh, and Lafayette, being part of the D1 Patriot League, would be similar in that there is not a lot of money for athletic scholarships. And not a lot of merit money either. Is your student on the NCAA radar yet?

1 Like

This is a big recruiting year for 2025s at D1. He projects as lower half of D1s/most D2/D3s. Some D1s have looked at him but no real interest yet. Has NCAA clearinghouse number? is that what you mean?

So I forgot to mention, we won’t qualify for any financial aid.

We knew a number of kids at Bentley. I get the impression that they are there because it’s a good business school and they want to say they play D2 rather than D3. S23 good friend plays baseball there with similar stats. Bentley does not give any money in baseball scholarships. He got their highest merit offer with the backing of the coach. The decision seemed to be made very early fall and became “official” when first semester grades were received. I’d get on the radar sooner rather than later.

4 Likes

I have the same interests and I’ve begun preparing by exploring schools with strong programs in mathematics/data science/quantitative analysis. Bentley, Lehigh, Bucknell, and Lafayette are reputable options. Merit-based scholarships exceeding $20k may be possible for a recruited athlete with their academic credentials.
Overall, I vote for Lehigh University 'cause beside its strong academic programs and competitive baseball, it stands out with its beautiful campus, and emphasis on experiential learning and career preparation)

2 Likes

Thank you mymeira. Of the 3 patriot league schools, that was my thought also.

1 Like

'cause it’s the most reasonable.

Definitely visit the schools to get a better feel. Lehigh and Lafayette are both popular choices for our high school and one recent grad committed to Lafayette for baseball. We toured both during Covid (so outside). I really preferred Lafayette which is smaller and did not require constantly walking uphil. I know their alumni network is strong as I worked for a Lafayette grad who hired alums. Good luck.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.