Berkeley with Regents v. LA

I am on the pre-med track and am pretty set on going to med school. I was wondering which institution offers better resources in terms of medicine/ does Berkeley with Regents come with perks that are considerably advantageous? Thanks!

I’d say the biggest academic perks you get from regents are being assigned a faculty mentor who can help you find extracurricular opportunities and being able to apply for a $1000 research grant. Of course, you also get priority class choice which is especially helpful in the UC system, since courses are filled so fast. You also get connected with the Regents alumni network.

However, UCLA’s medical school is definitely a perk as it’s on campus so you won’t have to travel as much. Berkeley’s grade deflation is also a minus. But if you do go to Berkeley, you can access the UCSF hospital and maybe even apply to the UC Berkeley-UCSF Joint Medical Program (5 years for Master’s + MD). Either way, there are plenty of opportunities!

Good luck!

Thanks so much! I’m leaning towards Berkeley right now but I’m definitely not sure

Just my opinion but, with everything else being equal, I would go to the school where you receive the Regents perks. Both UCLA and Cal are large and anonymous and having Regents will probably open up opportunities for you.

That’s what I was thinking too–I actually just SIR’d to Berkeley! :slight_smile: