Best A&M Dorm?

<p>Hey guys, I just got accepted to A&M and I'm probably going to end up here. I was wondering, what are y'alls opinion on the best dorm? I don't like asking this because it's a matter of opinion, but UT has a dorms thread and I figured I could find out about dorms here too. If it helps, I'm a Chemistry major</p>

<p>Congratulations on your admission!</p>

<p>From what I’ve seen, I would say that Hullaballoo is easily the nicest residence hall on campus.</p>

<p>What about apartments? The white Creek Apartments look really nice, they also have a kitchen. How quickly do they fill up? Would you be able to get a room. I just found out I was admitted today. </p>

<p>My son put down Hullaballoo. We’ve toured it and it’s very nice. There is also a kitchen on every floor. I asked about White Creek Apartments and they said they are not really within walking distance, however, there is a bus that will pick up/drop off there. On the day he put in for Hullaballoo (9/19), they told me it would take about three weeks to fill up, so put your request in now. If you end up not attending A&M, you get your $300 deposit back. You can also make dorm/roommate preference changes up through May 1 without losing your priority in line.</p>

<p>Yes Hullabaloo filled up in about 3 weeks for Fall 2014. Just remember that when selecting a roommate the selection priority will be based upon the last one to apply for housing. So even though you may have a September 19 date if your desired roommate is in January you will fall to January as far as room assignments go. Then you will have no chance at Hullabaloo or several other dorms.</p>

<p>That is why you specify room or roommate as first choice. </p>

<p>For @BlooYou1‌ there fans of the south side and the north side. If you are in engineering the north side is closer to the engineering buildings. Modular dorms tend to be larger than common dorms. As you stated, it is just a matter of preference. </p>

<p>Can you change the order you requested rooms without penalty in the same way you can change roommate before may 1?</p>

<p>kldat1, my son choose hall over roommate. Russ757, yes, you can change the hall without penalty. As kldat1 states, any time you are selecting a roommate, they go by the date the LAST one (you or your roommate) registers for housing. </p>

<p>I would agree with the others that Hullabaloo Hall is unquestionably the nicest dorm on the property. It’s the newest. It has a Starbucks, a laundry room that will text you when your laundry is done, a big game area, a mail room, a convenience store, two kitchens on every floor (I think) with associated “living” areas, a pretty courtyard with grills and lawn furniture and a big pergola, a restful and attractive lobby with lots of seating and study tables, etc, etc, etc. It’s just one year old and is quite beautiful. There are several different room types to choose from in Hullabaloo. My son’s very good friend lived there last year. She chose a room that had a tiny common area right inside the main door, a large bathroom off the tiny common area, and then two separate single-bed bedrooms behind separate interior doors. She had one roommate, so they each had their own room within the dorm room, and they shared the large bath. They purchased a shelving system and a few little storage cubes to place in the tiny common area. The storage cubes could be used for seating, for instance, when guests were waiting for one of the girls to finish dressing before coming out of their individual bedrooms. On my visits to see my son, we would frequently cook in one of Hullabaloo’s very nice kitchens and play board games at the cute tables in the living areas that were associated with the kitchens. It’s a gorgeous dorm with all the nicest amenities. Nothing else comes close to its cleanliness, newness, and beauty. </p>

<p>That being said, my son never chose to live there. He lived in the modular dorms each year – McFadden, Clements, and Hobby. He liked them all very much. All three of his dorms are alike in the layout of the rooms. The rooms are 2-person rooms and are quite large compared to other dorms we’ve visited across the country. They’re much larger than the 2-person dorms we saw at Hullabaloo. The Modular Dorm rooms at McFadden, Clements, and Hobby are kind of long, narrow rooms, stretching from dorm-room doors on a common middle interior hallway and out to the outer walls of each building. There is plenty of storage in each room, in stark contrast to my son’s friend’s dorm at Hullabaloo where storage was quite limited. The modular rooms have one rather large clothing closet per person towards the back of the room (where the beds and desks are), and one very large storage closet per person immediately inside the door to the room. The storage closets have lots of shelving – and as I said, each person gets their own! Plus, for each person, there is a desk w/chair, a large bookshelf-storage-thing, a small bookshelf that goes on top of the furniture of your choice, a dresser, and a bed. Inside the door and across from the storage closets is a bathroom that is shared by just the two roommates. My son’s dorms have all been old and they all have that old-building kind of smell to them – just a tiny, tiny bit moldy smelling, perhaps? – and they all have their share of very minor disrepair like broken blinds, or stains on the ceiling, or wobbly closet doors, or a little mold around the small walk-in showers, but for dorm rooms, they’re actually quite nice and have been very well-cared for over the years! If you’ve visited many public colleges, you likely know what I mean. The Modular dorms are not pristine or beautiful, but they’re quite large, are in very good condition, have tons of storage, are very conveniently located to the dining hall, engineering classes, off-campus dining and drinking establishments, the post office, etc. My son has really enjoyed living in the Modulars. I am certain he would choose one of them again. His favorite is probably Hobby for its location. But Hobby is just like McFadden and Clements (and Lechner, in fact), in all other ways. </p>

<p>Good luck to you and enjoy TAMU if that’s where you end up! :slight_smile: </p>

<p>My son lives in Hobby now. He thinks the location is the best on campus. It is next to the large dining hall Sbisa, the underground at Sbisa and the north parking garage. It is close to the engineering buildings too. It’s also close to the Northgate area with restaurants and night life without being too close to be bothered by late night partiers.</p>

<p>The storage in the modulars is huge! He has plenty of space and some leftover empty space.</p>

<p>As @SimpleLife‌ said, Hullabaloo is the nicest but it is hard to beat the size, convenience and location of Hobby. </p>