Best and worst PASSHE school?

Don’t look now but PASSHE is going to condense/merge some of the schools(likely Clarion, CALU, Edinboro, Mansfield). Many predicted this but still interesting as most of these schools have added many new buildings(residence halls, rec centers and such) over the past 5 years or so. Same funding level as 17 years ago…

http://www.wtae.com/article/mergers-closures-possible-for-pennsylvanias-state-universities/8642635

I think what @laralei was saying, is that it is especially difficult for a moderate stats kid from low income family in PA to find an affordable school. Because if the kid gets full state and Pell grant, and takes the loan, even at the PASSHE schools there would be a sizable gap. And if there is no school in commuting distance or the parents can’t contribute, it can be tough.
Of course as income level goes up, the EFC goes up too, and there won’t be any state or Pell grant then.
So the family would be expected to pay more, and that can be difficult too.

I think we in Pa are really up a creek without a paddle. My kid (a sophomore) is gonna get somewhere around a 3.5 if she really tries. She is average in terms of her standardized test scores so far. She has some EC hooks, she can probably do much better in verbal areas of SAT etc, and she will take a few APs, but unless she does something amazing, she will not be a candidate for merit at any top school. We haven’t saved a thing (except uPromise coupon & online shopping savings - :slight_smile: - hey, it’ll pay for books, I’m hoping) because we have had some bad job experiences, plus we are in a high cost-of-living situation with no way out (we’ve been underwater on our mortgage for the last ~10 years).
But we make, on paper, “good money,” meaning in some years, we’ll hit six figures - just barely. There will be no financial aid at state schools. And I have no clue how we’ll swing $25k a year without getting second jobs, and my husband is 58 and that’s not bloody likely in this climate.
I’m really hoping for a lottery win, and that will be a miracle, seeing as how I don’t play it.
Sigh.

Our youngest is a junior. I know for the really huge merit awards her stats simply aren’t considered high enough. She currently has a 3.7 GPA, has taken Honors and AP. She had over a 300 community hours last year, consistent with the EC’s. She is also on track team. Even if she does really great on her SAT/ ACT, I know the better awards start around 32 ACT score, ( I think I read that on here somewhere, if I am wrong, please correct that.) and I know she won’t hit that.

@bester1, I wouldn’t say your daughter had low stats, I think my kid’s are good also. But they aren’t good enough for the big merit awards out there for the high stat kids, and I think those numbers keep going up as well. I know DS applied to Pitt and even being in top 2% of graduating class and a 33, rounded down, he only got $5K merit there. In the past, I think his stats would have gotten him more.

I love that this thread exists and it is good for all of us here trying to get our kids into schools we can all afford. And for those from PA who also come looking in the future.

@Gatormama, I feel for you, options are tough. @laralei @bester1 @mommdc I don’t think this thread has changed, we are all describing similar difficulties but have different situations. My D1 is not high stat, and my D2 is 2 years behind D1. From her PSAT, she is gonna need to really bust it to get those scores up or we will be in a similar boat with her.

We have saved for 15 years for college for 3 kids, with what I feel have been sacrifices, but also got caught up in the housing crisis so took a few steps back and the savings aren’t nearly enough. My wife also stayed home for 10 years, so only one income during that time. I know some have it worse, but we have no need based aid, no family help, it is all on us.

I am the type of person that likes to plan, analyze and make a smart decision. I feel like this is a puzzle with no good solution! I know it will be OK, just hope with the least amount of debt as possible.

The amazing thing is how your EFC rises as the older ones go through school yet you have already spent down to get them there!
Right now we still have time w/ youngest to get her test scores up. I don’t know how much it will ultimately help, but it’s something she can improve on.

I haven’t read through the whole thread, but I can offer some hope. My daughter had very few AP’s. Her first ACT was just above average. She worked on getting her ACT up a few extra points (no tutoring just practice tests) and was offered more than half off tuition at her number one choice school. She is a now a happy freshman. We cast a wide net including regional, state, and out of state schools. We found several that would have been around $25k or under with bumping up her ACT. It took a lot of research, but they are out there.

@ Jcmom…Thank you. Can you tell us the name of the school?

From what I’ve read these schools do exist, but are often in unpopular or remote areas. I know St. Bonaventure has been mentioned on other threads as giving good merit to modest stat kids. I am also not pretending that my D or others also can’t be picky (or have diva moments). For instance, mine refuses to go north of PA into the tundra lol.

Kids in lots of states these days are paying about $20,000 + for school if they want to go away to school. That is pretty standard in Virginia. If a family can’t afford that, kids sometimes start in community college and there are articulation agreements that outline what it takes to get into the 4 year colleges.

@sermon, that is the point of this thread. In PA we don’t have the same options as most states, including Virginia. Many of our community colleges are not easily commutable. Hence the dilemma.

@laralei I am a less frequent poster on this and similar threads. Since we have a FAFSA EFC of 0, I understand what you are saying. None of our state schools are very affordable for low to moderate income families at sticker price. Two years ago, however, my son, with decent but not high stats, received a nice financial aid offer from IUP: Pell grant, state grant, SEOG, $3000 scholarship, and Direct loan. The state related schools are even more out of range for many PA residents. My daughter’s favorite is Temple, which will probably be unaffordable; I’m waiting with bated breath for the financial aid offer. Her other choice is West Chester, which she says she will go to if she can’t go to Temple, but she’s not happy about that possibility. I’ve mentioned to her that some kids are lucky to get to go to community college (also not cheap in PA). Some of the small private colleges give good need-based aid, if your daughter is willing to consider a small school. Unfortunately, mine isn’t.

^ in addition, many community colleges have transfer agreements with PAASHE schools - not the three 'flagships '. The flagships, especially Pitt and Penn State, will first take students from branch campuses through the 2+2 system, then students from other 4-year colleges. It makes community college in PA a risky choice because you may not end up a the flagship even if you do well.
And because community colleges aren’t seen as preparing for the flagships, their pre-reqs aren’t geared toward transferring to Pitt or psu, some of their classes may not transfer , and many cc 's offer only the bare minimum in terms of general education classes - with lots of career progrrams, short vocational certificates, remedial classes which all serve an important purpose but do not meet the needs of a good student (B+ average with rigorous curriculum, 22-25 act) who wished to have the (perhaps a bit lighter) equivalent to the first two years of a flagship public education within commutable distance.
The commuting issue will also become even more problematic when some passhe schools are closed.

@MYOS1634 you have hit on some really excellent points, especially with regards CCs often not really serving “good” (but maybe not great) students. The branch campuses for Pitt and Penn State are not that affordable either (maybe a tiny bit cheaper in some cases).

If some of those PASSHE schools which are on the verge of closing could somehow change their model, become something different like a York College (cheaper private maybe?), I think they could offer something truly unique. Maybe focus their program offerings, maybe specialize? If the facilities are there, it would be a shame to close them altogether.

@kidzncatz What is SEOG? Does your son like IUP? Thanks.

“The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, more commonly known by its acronym SEOG, is a federal assistance grant reserved for college students with the greatest need for financial aid to attend school.” Source:Wikipedia

Yes, in the middle of the state, we only have few commutable options, and community colleges are over 1 hr away.

I am hoping that with some merit, student loan, student work earnings, and maybe some state aid we can make it work.

We are going to either look at 2+2 path, PASSHE or LACs.

Lycoming gives some pretty generous merit, Geneva as well. I think the net price calculator gave us a $15-18k net price estimate.

Son is not sure yet what he wants to study, so I need schools with music education, history/polisci and IST.

The (good) thing is he would like a smaller school I think.

The irony of the consolidation of the PASSHE schools is that IUP(and perhaps a combination of Edinboro, CALU, Clarion) will be the only remaining opportunities in the western side of PA. As I mentioned before, we received a note from our HS College Counselor discouraging the idea of sending our daughter to IUP because the partying is out of control. So basically, the squeeze is on in this side of the state. Options are Pitt/Penn State and all of their branches that continue to get public funding…if you really take a birds I view…this state is completely out of focus when it has to deal with Public Higher Education (consider that PASSHE schools receive the same amount of funds as they did 17 years ago, but the Pitt/PSU/Temple has increased as have their branch campuses). Now you can see why my kid is seriously considering Cleveland State as it is growing, 2 hours from home and less expensive than PASSHE schools and provides D1 swimming.

Yes, lots of kids from here going to Ohio too. And Cleveland is not that far away.

But we would lose the state grant.

All the kids who are seniors now, ask your guidance counselor about local scholarships. While maybe only for freshman year, they can still help alot.

Yes, my D is applying to some local scholarships. There are still scholarships (private and school) available for years 2-4, but the student has to be vigilant in finding and applying to them. Actually a lot of departmental and school scholarships are only available to currently enrolled students, not incoming freshman.

One more thing about private scholarships. The more you apply for, the easier it gets. By this I mean that many of these require 250-500 word essays (not as easy as it sounds). It is like exercising the “essay” muscle. The more you write, my D has found, the easier it gets.