Best and worst PASSHE school?

@bester1 Thanks. Yes, I know all that, including the recent death. . I visit Pittsburgh at least a couple of times a year and sometimes still follow the Post-Gazette when I am in Virginia. So, I did know about the fraternity incident. IUP definitely has parties! Still possible to get a good education there, I’ll bet, if you steer clear of some of the negative stuff. Good luck with finding good options. West Chester seems to be the most well regarded PASSHE school these days.

We will be in Pittsburgh in a few weeks and this thread has spurred me to make some tentative plans. We usually like to take at least one day trip. Have been to Indiana three or four years ago (saw my old house, saw the new construction, went by Jimmy Stewart’s house, etc.), always enjoy a day trip to Ligonier but have done that recently, so this time I think we might do Grove City (Wendell August) and Slippery Rock (distillery , brewery, college) . Have been to both towns before but it’s been many, many years.

@Portercat CNU is a decent school but not sure it is worth paying more than West Chester for, especially if any outside scholarships are not good for four years. But, of course, that decision is yours.

@Portercat I’m sure you have already seen Randolph -Macon but just in case- small school, Ashland is an interesting small town but doesn’t strike me as a “college town.” Kind of sleepy. But that is my perception. The buildings look interesting and it is cool that AMTRAK goes right by the campus. But, unless there is a great fit, or special program there, also not sure it would be worth paying more than West Chester for. But, again, that decision is yours. The reason most kids still end up at community college or their own state schools, is because many times that does make the most financial sense.

@sevmom - if you go back home and check out SR, please do post your impressions here. I think all of us are so appreciative for every tidbit of info we can gather!

@servmom, Thanks! I agree with you on both schools. I would like her to go to West Chester My D is (and my wife to some extent) definitely leading more with her heart than her head for the Virginia schools. She is undecided on her major, and has some good leadership qualities BUT wants to “get away” and have a different experience. She loves the campuses, school spirit and feel of those schools. The difference in campus look between WC and those 2 schools is kind of striking.

My D is very mature in some ways (hard worker, never in trouble, very conscientious), but also needs to learn more about being on her own (setting her own schedule, figuring out how to do things without asking mom how to do everything, etc.). As a first born, she is still kind of innocent. My wife is a little worried that she will get lost at West Chester and without good advising will end up floundering, taking unnecessary courses etc.

Randolph-Macon has a very attractive program for undecided and the advising looks very structured, My argument is that the cost and savings difference by going to West Chester will open other opportunities; more time for friends and social/club activities, studying abroad, etc. We don’t want to stretch it so much that the next tuition payment is all you think and stress about each semester. .

@Gatormama Will do.

@Portercat Good luck. That’s a tough one if the D and wife have different ideas! Sounds like you have more than one child. I know for us, I may have been more encouraging of my oldest pursuing a couple of the pricey privates that were on his radar if he had been an only child But, with a sibling to consider, we were very glad he decided that his state school would do fine.

I’ve always thought the Henry Clay Inn in Ashland Virginia is a cool looking , historic hotel.

Updated and important news articles…“are we treating this generation different than the ones that came before”
http://www.thestate.com/news/business/national-business/article134953559.html

http://www.goerie.com/opinion/20170227/our-view-eup-charts-new-course-in-hard-times

Struggling Edinboro University plans to be more selective
FEBRUARY 26, 2017

EDINBORO, Pa. — In this rural corner of northwestern Pennsylvania, where low-cost college options are few, Austin Horner is getting a shot at a four-year education thanks to the state university here. So far, the sophomore from Warren County who hopes one day to teach, has a GPA above 3.0 and feels at home on the campus of Edinboro University with its man-made lake, deep snows in winter and a small-town feel. “It’s such a friendly environment,” he said. But too many of his peers leave campus without a degree these days or bypass the financially ailing university altogether. So after several years of accepting almost anyone who applied, yet still seeing enrollment fall by 29 percent, Edinboro is out to rebuild enrollment by doing what might seem counter-intuitive. It is tightening its admission standards, making it harder for some to enroll. The hope is that recruiting freshmen who are better prepared academically — and giving them enhanced campus support — ultimately will boost the school’s retention rate, even if freshmen numbers initially drop. The troubles facing Edinboro, a member of the State System of Higher Education, are not unique, which is why there is interest far beyond campus in how this all plays out. Some in the state Legislature and others are asking if the State System can still afford 14 distinct universities, at least as they are configured now, given steep enrollment losses, deepening budgetary woes and shifts in the job market that have softened demand for some

Wow – I’ve been following these stories for a while and doing my own research on the schools but I missed this stat, detailed in the Erie story:

“Only 26.8 percent of Edinboro students earned their degrees in four years in 2011, compared with 38.7 percent of students who did systemwide.”

That is a horrific 4-year graduation rate. PSU’s is 64%.
UF, my alma mater, has a 66% rate.
Highest rates here: https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/highest-grad-rate?src=stats
Makes you think: If you’re spending another $20k a year beyond four years to graduate, it doesn’t seem quite as cheap, does it?

Bloomsburg University FAQ including graduation rate…

https://www.bloomu.edu/ir/faqs

4 year grad rate is 37%. 6 year is 62 % at Bloomsburg. Would make more sense to pay more in tuition/take out loan etc go elsewhere and graduate in 4 years.The additional tuition plus year or two of salary that is missed makes this not a great option. Do not only look at 4 year cost at these Universities. Look at big picture, internships and ultimately job placement.

West Chester grad rate is 43.8% in four years.

Grad rate is not based just on the institution itself, as it is also based on the student population. Lower admission standards leads to lower graduation rates. It tends to attract kids that weren’t ready for college to begin with, can’t handle it in general, maybe more commuters who go part-time. On the other hand, part of it is based on bad advising, inability to get certain courses, etc. It is hard to tell.

I had an argument on another thread b/c the LAC we are considering had a 4 year graduation “guarantee”, and they will pay your extra tuition if you have to take courses beyond year 4 to graduate. Someone mentioned that the low 6 graduation rates at publics are a myth, but I think it depends on many factors and it is a complicated thing.

from Money Magazine College rankings on Bloomsburg…note that it rates the gradiation rate 29% higher based on schools with similar demographics. Ranked # 169 best in USA.

One of 14 universities in Pennsylvania’s higher-education system, Bloomsburg draws some 90% of its students from within the state. Its undergraduate enrollment is about 9,100, with another 600 students in graduate programs. About 10% are older than traditional college age. Students have their choice of 56 undergraduate majors, 51 undergraduate minors, and 21 graduate programs. BU’s 280-acre campus consists of two sites about half a mile apart and connected by continuous shuttle service. The student body remains predominantly white, but the university has made significant progress bringing in more diverse students. Last year, minorities made up 21 percent of the student population. The university’s graduation rate of 65% is a solid 29% higher than other schools with similar student demographics, according to MONEY’s analysis.

http://new.time.com/money/best-colleges/profile/bloomsburg-university-of-pennsylvania/

West Chester is rated # 472…http://new.time.com/money/best-colleges/profile/west-chester-university-of-pennsylvania/

With about 16,600 students, West Chester University is the largest of the 14 institutions that make up the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education. The university offers more than 100 graduate and undergraduate programs in the arts and sciences, business and public affairs, social sciences, visual and performing arts, health sciences, and education. The most popular undergrad majors are business, health professions, and education. Undergrads must complete 48 semester hours of general education requirements, including classes in composition, communication, science, diverse communities, and the arts, among others. Special programs in the College of Health Sciences include the Healthy Aging Consortium, the Amazon Center for Environmental Education and Research, and the Mind/Body Institute. Other academic institutes at WCU include the Frederick Douglass Institute, which aims to advance multicultural studies; the Ethnic Studies Institute; and the Poetry Center, which hosts the nation’s largest annual poetry conference every summer. WCU’s main campus is about 35 miles from Philadelphia, but West Chester has a Center City campus in Philadelphia that offers programs tailored for adult and professional learners. These include bachelor’s degrees in criminal justice, social work, and nursing, and master’s programs in social work, criminal justice, and communication studies.

Thanks @bester1. I’m not sure how any of these ratings algorithms work (for Money and all the rest), For instance, WC has more out-of-state students (as well as commuters and grad students), so how does that affect costs and graduation rates?

@portercat…Take it for what it is worth but it seems as if Money uses a logical/fair formula…since we all seem very concerned about money, ROI is their concern.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2015/07/13/money-magazines-new-college-rankings-finally-get-it-right-for-students/?utm_term=.cdd73fe14193

Yes the video in the following link (that @bester1 posted a few pages back) has Edinboro President Walker explain some of the reasons for the low graduation rate. http://www.goerie.com/news/20170216/edinboro-university-assessment-changes-will-be-made

Millerville comes in at 478…http://new.time.com/money/best-colleges/profile/millersville-university-of-pennsylvania/

Millersville University of Pennsylvania is one of 14 schools in the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education. The school is in Lancaster County, about 75 miles west of Philadelphia. It offers more than 100 undergraduate fields of study, along with more than 50 master’s degrees and professional certifications, and three doctorate degrees. Undergrads study in three colleges: art, humanities, and social sciences; education and human services; and science and technology. Biology, business, and English are popular majors, but the school says that its highest-enrolled major is its Exploratory Program, which helps students sharpen their academic focus with the help of faculty and staff advisers. Students in the program even have their own residence hall housing, which includes upperclass mentors, along with special programming. Standout undergraduate majors include international studies and meteorology; art students can earn the school’s new bachelor of design (B.Des.) degree. Master’s programs include degrees in the arts, education, science, and social work; there’s also a master of science in emergency management (MSEM) degree, which is offered online and also as a dual degree with a master of social work. Millersville’s three doctorate programs are in educational leadership, nursing practice, and social work leadership education.

https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/?q=Mansfield&s=all&fv=212160+216764+211158+213783&cp=1&sl=211158+212160+213783+216764

In the above link you can see Bloomsburg, Edinboro, Mansfield, and West Chester side-by-side (Expand all)

Edinboro has twice as many Pell eligible students as West Chester.

So financial reasons seem to be a big factor in graduation rate.

All things being equal, would it not make sense for we, as parents, to sink a few hundred into some intensive test prep and tutoring? Granted, there are no guarantees, but the spend now could possibly result in a higher-tier admission to a school with more opportunity (rigor, quality of instruction, networking, choices, etc) with some merit money to bring the cost down to the PASSHE level. Or am I overly optimistic?

Temple used to give automatic full tuition for ACT 32 and 3.8 GPA, but that changed starting this year. Now awards are competitive and might require higher stats.

Ohio State gives the National Buckeye scholarship, about $12,500 but remaining costs would still be higher than $20,000.
http://undergrad.osu.edu/cost-and-aid/merit-based-scholarships

University of Alabama gives automatic full tuition for 3.5 GPA and 32 ACT I believe, they attract a lot of high state OOS students.

It would depend if your student qualifies, and wants to go that far.

For us going OOS means losing the state grant.