Best approach to do assessment for learning styles

@Owl1

Please do not make decisions based on what I posted on this forum…these decisions should be made in consultation with your health care providers based on information you give them, and what they know about your daughter.

I provided that link so you could read about this type of evaluation…not to make a decision one way or the other.

3 Likes

@thumper1 ,
Thanks for the note. Based on my observations, the experience of my kid, these are not issues for my dd. I appreciate your concern.

She can meet with an executive functioning coach without a formal ADHD diagnosis. Many will meet online which is perfect for a college student. Some colleges provide this service etiher free or fee based. At some schools, it is through the disabilities/academic support office. She may or may not need a diagnosis to access these services through the school.

Two things to keep in mind. The first is that girls are usually diagnosed later. Especially those that are people pleasers, care about their grades and are academically on the ball enough to not struggle until the information starts coming at a much faster pace (usually around middle or high school). The second is that there are other things that result in difficulty in executive functioning tasks. Stress, anxiety and depression can all decrease EF functioning. As can environments that leave a student dysregulated (which would make sense if they are sharing a dorm room or in an apartment).

1 Like

@vwlizard this student is a rising college junior. The parent says the kid has done well up until now. I know that is possible…and might mean the student is really putting forth a lot of extra effort…but I’m wondering what the concern really is…and why the student suspects ADHD. Note…I’m not saying this isn’t possible…I just want to know what makes this student feel this way.

Agree that if there are executive functioning issues, this can be addressed.

Also, if needed, colleges also have tutorial services available to all students. But that doesn’t sound like it’s the case. The OP is concerned that the education material will exponentially get harder…when and why?

2 Likes

It’s a process. Usually, it starts with a neuropsych. When students are diagnosed at a younger age, the school takes responsibility for the accommodations that are outlined in the nueropsych with students, parents, and teachers learning what works and then the student learning to self-advocate as they get older. When an older person/student is evaluated, part of the process should include a meeting where the evaluator discusses the findings with the student. In many cases, this will be done before a “final” copy of the evaluation is submitted so that any input from the student can be added. Most likely the accommodations will be extra time for testing, testing in a quiet setting and copies or access to notes and presentations. Even when these accommodations are registered with the Office of Disabilities, it will be the student’s responsibility to meet with her professors and discuss this with them. There will most likely be additional recommendations, but they will be more personal and not necessarily accommodations (such as how to break down assignments, setting schedules, attending office hours, seeking out additional help, etc).

1 Like

The Office of Disabilities or Accessible Education of whatever they call it, provides letters to the student that the student can then give to professors. The student does have to advocate for themselves. The professors do not need to know the diagnosis, and often specific accommodations are not listed in the letter. In our experience the letters will simply say the student is registered.

Another issue mentioned by @Mjkacmom is that students sometimes resist asking for or using accommodations, despite their availability. The concept of “leveling the playing field” to make things fair is hard for them to grasp and the drive to be “just like everyone else” is strong.

2 Likes

Large universities offer heavily discounted evals by psychologists in training. Call around and see if a local university offers these. Quality is often good since student is supervised by strong evaluators.

Honestly, I’m not sure an ADHD evaluation is the best course of action if she’s doing well in school. If she’s struggling in some way you haven’t mentioned then sure get her checked out but ADHD is over diagnosed in some areas of the country and in some populations. I’m sure you know the main treatment for ADHD is Ritalin and other amphetamines.

For background I have two kids who have both been told at different times that they have some markers of ADHD and my younger daughter’s girlfriend was diagnosed with it and given a prescription for amphetamines (that is what it says on the bottle). They also have another female friend who was recently referred for ADHD.

If she’s just wanting better study habits and better organizational skills there are other ways to go about that. Here’s a page on more effective study habits from UNC Chapel Hill that might be helpful. Her school may have something similar too.

My kids have anxiety and that can affect your thinking for sure but I don’t think either one of them has ADHD. The younger one definitely needs to mature a little more (she’s 19). The older one who is 22 now was a wreck at 19 in terms of organization etc but now at 22 has stuff together much more.

I think there is a temptation to get labeled and then blame everything on that condition. I could see my D22 doing it when her new therapist suggested she had some ADHD markers (not something either of her previous therapists had ever suggested). The new therapist is just getting to know her and I think she was relying on her past experience with other clients that ADHD can be an underlying condition that can cause anxiety, etc. But that is not what is going on for my D22. Her anxiety and OCD and depression is not caused by ADHD.

She is disorganized but so was I at 19. I tried to express my doubts and my support at the same time to D22. I can see so much more maturity in just the past year with her and I know she’s gonna be just fine. She made the Dean’s List this past semester!

I have a friend who is ADHD for sure and she owns it. She’s great but there so much chaos (chaotic good) in her life I can only take being at her house in small doses.

Without anything more to go on than what you’ve said it sounds like your daughter may be looking for something that she can point to and say. “That’s why I’m the way I am” when in reality she’s great! Everbody has some lack of focus and energy in their lives especially on tasks they don’t like. Right now I am lacking focus and energy on cleaning the floor myself. Not my favorite task.

A diagnosis of ADHD can be life changing but I agree a healthy dose of skepticism is good. Especially with the lack of objective testingm Finding a psychiatrist who is expert on this diagnosis is key. And anxiety can mimic ADHD (and the other way around!).

Working with someone on organization and time management is an important part of treatment, if offered at the school or affordable privately. It can even be the only treatment.

Stimulants like Ritalin and Adderall are not the only meds for ADHD. Again you want someone with expertise. My kid has severe ADHD and bipolar 1 and cannot take stimulants but is still treated. And meds are not always needed. The diagnosis is still helpful,

Kids can compensate and do well in school despite ADHD but it can be stressful.

I know a kid who was always labelled “lazy” and whose parents constantly rolled their eyes at her lateness and disorganization. She excelled at school though papers were usually late. Her college diagnosed her and as it changed the way she viewed herself in a very positive way.

4 Likes

@vwlizard, thank you for the detailed explanation. It was very helpful and gave me a better understanding.

Great idea! it sounds like a good option to explore. Anyone could benefit from organization/time management skills even without adhd.

If you have a kid who has an EF coach, could you share your experience with me? how it has been helpful? the time frame to see results ? how did you find your EF coach?

Any words of wisdom are appreciated!
TIA

1 Like

I called Landmark’s college for a referral. Even though my kid’s college was in a different state. The coaching can be online or by phone. We could not really afford it but her friend did well with the same coach. My kid switched to a school that had extensive advising, tutoring and a special advisor for those with disabilities.

Landmark College for Students with Learning Disabilities, ADHD & ASD

Landmark also has a summer program, I believe.

Reminder that CC is not a referral service.

It is difficult to read many poster’s opinions, especially since it is not know whether they themselves have been through the process of having a neuropsychologist evaluation. The outcome of having an evaluation can help boost self esteem where there is doubt and self criticism. ADHD is different in each person. I am an educator and have 4 out of 6 family members with ADHD. The eval will not only help your college child in school but also in work and relationships. It is one of many ways to really learn the strength areas and challenge areas. There is a nova section in testing that one can take- first, without medication and then second, with medication. It can be useful to see if the selected medication really has a positive effect. Learning about one’s self and adhd is a process and will never be a fixed or static understanding. It is especially helpful to be grounded in knowing about adhd when you are in neurotypical company that expects you to go about life the way they do. It is also something that does not change much over time after a certain age. Going through puberty and adhd is one of the toughest times. Adhd development age can be delayed by 1-3 years in some areas as well. I encourage everyone to read more about adhd. It is fascinating. You likely work and socialize with many who have adhd. Resource: Dr.Ned Hallowell and his Hallowell Center is highly regarded. He has great video’s and books. drhallowell.com

1 Like

Correction - The Tova test is a test that can help with evaluating how medication helps with adhd.

Note that the TOVA test accompanies a questionnaire and interview, meaning subjective input. Not a full neuropsychological assessment. A neuro assessment can help identify other learning challenges but is not needed for ADHD.

The Test of Variables of Attention (T.O.V.A.®) version 9 (tovatest.com)

The T.O.V.A. provides information that is not available through self-report or the report of others. It is used along with a clinical interview and subjective measures (such as behavior ratings) for a more comprehensive picture of academic, social, and personal performance and impairment. T.O.V.A. results should only be interpreted by qualified healthcare professionals.

This test purports to provide objective evaluation of “attention and inhibitory control” to health professionals. It is a computerized test (see the link above). I do question whether any test like this can be accurate since the testing situation is not natural. It may be very good at evaluating ADHD in the context of sit down standardized tests.

If anyone has experience with this, I would love to know about it. Since ADHD is life long, we are still dealing with the consequences with one of our kids.

3 Likes

Thank you. this is very helpful, kiwikool
I think there is a lot of value in knowing about how we work individually. Each of us are different even without adhd.

Since we don’t know which way the test will go positive or negative, I have a question related to job opportunities.

For you parents with young adults diagnosed with adhd, what has been your dd/ds experience having an adhd diagnosis regarding jobs? is that something that could make things easier or more difficult for them? I’m not sure how employers navigate this. I wonder if someone diagnosed with adhd will have equal opportunities as someone without, or not? I’m asking because my kid will be in the job market soon as is a raising junior. This is a topic that comes to my mind somehow.
Anyone with first hand experience or know of someone ?

There is no need to disclose. Many people with ADHD are very bright and make excellent contributions. Certain jobs may appeal more, depending on the individual. My kid likes fast-paced, hands on jobs that feel emotionally meaningful.

1 Like

OP- you are worried about potential job problems for a kid who may or may not have learning differences-- but whose performance up until now shows no signs of any issues?

Relax!

3 Likes

No one asks you if you have ADHD when applying for jobs. That would actually be illegal.

3 Likes