Best Cellular Coverage?

<p>DD’s plan is up. Who has the best coverage at UA? </p>

<p>May sound weird, but Sprint, for example, has NO BARS at OU, as we discovered on a tour there.</p>

<p>Verizon works well for our son and for us every time we have visited</p>

<p>^^^same here…most people we know have either Verizon or AT & T</p>

<p>It’s just one of those things you can’t know until you move or work somewhere new and discover your cell coverage is nil.</p>

<p>Thanks a bunch.</p>

<p>D is grandfathered into unlimited data with AT&T, so we don’t want to change. Is AT&T reception about the same as Verizon on campus?</p>

<p>AT&T is a Bama Sponsor, so it makes an effort to really have good coverage.</p>

<p>I have Tmobile and have coverage there.</p>

<p>There was a problem a couple of years ago when suddenly there were sooooo many smart phones being used on Game Days that (I think) AT&T started bringing in extra mobile cell towers in on those days to handle the “traffic”.</p>

<p>AT&T…Proud to Love, Support, and Obssess All Things Alabama.</p>

<p>Roll Tide. lol</p>

<p>^^ That’s a riot. Glad that AT&T has its priorities straight.</p>

<p>I went to an overtime game at Texas A&M once when folks trying to meet up by cell after an unexpectantly long game crashed the entire region…almost every carrier was overloaded. I remember so vividly because we couldn’t communicate with our “ride” and ended up walking almost five miles to our hotel after dark on the side of busy roads with inebriated post-lost drivers…it was scary at best.</p>

<p>How about US Cellular?</p>

<p>Virgin Mobile has reliable coverage in T-town as well.</p>

<p>guess it depends on how fast you want it? </p>

<p>Verizon is also getting ready to install a network in the stadium for better reception. </p>

<p>[Verizon</a> Wireless to expand Alabama 4G coverage on Thursday - Birmingham Business Journal](<a href=“http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingham/news/2012/04/17/verizon-wireless-to-expand-alabama-4g.html]Verizon”>http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingham/news/2012/04/17/verizon-wireless-to-expand-alabama-4g.html)</p>

<p><a href=“Documenting Justice (Video) - The Crimson White”>Documenting Justice (Video) - The Crimson White;

<p>Gadgetron
Verizon announces April 19 as official 4G LTE launch date in Tuscaloosa
Tuesday, April 17, 2012 at 11:11 by Wayne Grayson Though Verizon customers here with 4G devices have been enjoying it for a couple of weeks now, today Verizon announced that the “official” launch date for its 4G LTE high speed data network is Thursday, April 19.</p>

<p>According to a Verizon news release, Tuscaloosa is one of 27 new markets in the U.S. to receive LTE coverage. Verizon will also expand the network in 44 markets across the country on April 19. With the new and expanded markets, the company’s 4G LTE network will be available to more than two-thirds of the U.S. population in 230 markets on April 19. </p>

<p>If you’re unfamiliar with the speeds the new network is capable of, Verizon says in real-world network environments where the network is fully engaged by customers, 4G LTE users should expect to experience average data rates of 5 to 12 megabits per second downloads and 2 to 5 Mbps uploads. And really that’s a conservative estimate. People see a lot faster speeds pretty regularly.</p>

<p>In West Alabama, the 4G network will cover both the Northport and Cottondale areas as well as the University of Alabama campus and Alberta. The university’s coverage will include in and around Bryant-Denny Stadium. Verizon officials said the stadium’s distributed antenna system, currently under construction to provide improved coverage on football game days, will support 4G LTE.</p>

<p>When choosing a carrier, consider the needs and wants of everyone on the plan. All carriers have service in Tuscaloosa, though coverage can vary on gamedays, especially AT&T as it is very popular in Alabama. </p>

<p>I have Verizon and was very happy to see 4G LGE implemented a few weeks ago. T-Mobile, and possibly AT&T, offer a slower version of 4G. Of course, if your D is getting the iPhone 4S, it does not offer 4G LTE capability. If you work for a large employer, check to see if they offer any discounts on mobile phone plans.</p>

<p>We have Sprint because DH’s firm pays the bill (for unlimited everything) for everyone within our family (even kids who are grown and live in cities like NYC, Chicago, Alabama and DC)…if they didn’t we wouldn’t have it!!! DD’ boyfriend has AT&T…he loves it!</p>

<p>I have US cellular, and it was great. The only problems I ever had was a little lag in sending pictures from the stadium, but they got out after a couple tries. And there’s like one place in the music building where my service sucks, but otherwise, it’s very doable.</p>

<p>If your DD is getting a smart phone, remember, most have Wi-Fi capability and can run the web using that instead of the carrier’s internet because there is Wi-Fi all over the place.</p>

<p>During our recent tour of 'Bama, Sprint coverage was iffy at many locations.</p>

<p>Since your plan is up, you might as well look at ATT since ATT is a Bama sponsor. Coverage is good there.</p>

<p>We have Tmobile, and we don’t have trouble on campus.</p>

<p>Yes, will do so…she just got a new iPhone4S so I’ll have to figure out how that transfers…</p>

<p>ooohhh…I don’t think you can use a Sprint iPhone on the ATT system. I think there’s a SIM card issue.</p>

<p>I didn’t know you just bought a new phone for your D. Also, didn’t that extend your contract with Sprint??</p>

<p>I didn’t buy it, her adult step-sister did and birthday gifted it to her w/o checking with me first. Very NICE, but threw a wrench in the works… however, I think there is a work around:</p>

<p>Think DH might take DD’s new iphone and change it to his number and we’ll have to replace it with (another) new iphone on ATT or whatever service we get her for UA… he HATES his new blackberry and DD has been teasing him with the “pure greatness” of her iPhone (particularly the AWESOME CAMERA which takes better pictures than any of our digital cameras here at home.) SO that might work out.</p>