Best college in my range?

<p>Wow, that’s really good for an 8th grader. My kids took a bunch of standardized tests in elementary/middle school, but taking the ACT/SAT wasn’t really on the radar. As long as there are reasonable expectations and the kids aren’t discouraged, I guess it isn’t a bad thing. It seems like there’s a lot of subject matter though, especially in math, that kids that age haven’t covered yet. </p>

<p>When I think my S isn’t working hard enough, I take a step back and remind myself that education is a marathon and not a sprint. He thinks he wants to get a PhD so he has a long road ahead of him. I wonder how many kids burn themselves out early on in their educational career?</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>Then that would suggest that once you got your scores, you would have worked on the math section and signed up for another test. Since that isn’t what you did, it’s hard to believe that really was your plan. </p>

<p>that said, I’m glad to hear that you’re going to take the test again.</p>

<p>Why aren’t you applying to Bama?</p>

<p>With a 17 in math and a 20 in science, you are not a good candidate for engineering. If you apply yourself and get remedial help, you may be able to make it, but you should have a backup plan. What type of engineering are you interested in?</p>

<p>as others have said i would suggest visiting both schools and talking to the engineering faculty. wherever you decide to go, perhaps start your first semester with some core classes and get in the “groove” of college…how to study, how to avail yourself of the resources available like tutors and office hours, begin to recognize your strengths and weaknesses. </p>

<p>however andectodally… i know he says he is from jefferson county BUT, often in the smaller rural areas of our state, (and jefferson co is not just birmingham) there isnt the emphasis on standardized tests, that many on here seem to think the op should have understood. many schools do not offer any AP or advanced classes, minimal ec’s and no prep for act tests. my oldest heard about it in senior year, my youngest hasnt even had it mentioned to him yet and he is 11th grade. about 90% of the kids in this area go to cc, not university…some plan to transfer in 2 years and a few will go directly to uah, uab, ua or auburn…but its a different world than the typical college confidential student. so i wouldnt be too harsh on the op. his test scores and seeming lack of understanding of a few issues is consistent… he got a 23 on the act (national average is about 22) and i bet he was told it was wonderful if he is from one of the more rural areas. </p>

<p>also as dodgersmom mentioned, perhaps he is not a good standardized test taker, perhaps he didnt prepare… my oldest didnt, he didnt know you were supposed to… told he should take it, saturday morning after senior prom and not one person/teacher/gc said hmmm maybe not a good idea, because it wasnt considered important.</p>

<p>will op be a good candidate for engineering…difficult to say…but i dont think it should be dismissed just based on an act score…may be one indicator but not in itself the answer</p>

<p>I wish you the BEST of luck . The people on here are trying to help but sometimes it’s hard to put into perspective and understand how the amount of effort you put in your first two years of high school for some kids is exactly that – the amount of EFFORT you put in when you were 14 years old. I was the same way and I have no desire to try and prove anything to anyone on this forum. With all due respect. If you are confident in your intelligence and skill level, by all means – pursue whichever school you may. </p>

<p>Best of Luck,
Someone who understands :)</p>

<p>^^^ well said littlemissbama!</p>

<p>RIP- I think there are a number of kids that burn out. It’s a lot of pressure. I think that’s why colleges also look at upward trends becuase sometimes the kids who didn’t get the high grades as a freshman actually end up doing better than the ones who did.</p>

<p>I don’t have supporting data, but I recall reading that there was a poor correlation between SAT/ACT scores and freshman grades. Maybe the high scorers think they can coast while those that scored poorly realize that they have to work. Doing well on a standardized test doesn’t guarantee success, nor does a poor score guarantee failure. </p>

<p>If the student is weak or poorly prepared in science and math, he’s going to have a tough path, but with hard work and dedication anything is possible. Not everyone is cut out to be an engineer so if it doesn’t work out, there are many other excellent professions.</p>

<p>I’ve ran the numbers on ACT scores vs. 1st year college GPA a few times and the resulting equation was not very accurate (a sub 0.3 R-squared and questionable normality assumption for those who are familiar with statistics.)</p>

<p>One can certainly do well in engineering despite (or possibly in part of) low test scores. UA has a conditional admission program for students who would normally be denied admission, but show the potential to succeed with a little extra help. There is also the Federally-funded TRiO program at most schools, to which I encourage all eligible students apply.</p>

<p>It is also worth mentioning that the quality of K-12 education in much of Alabama is lacking. Depending on where the OP attends high school (Birmingham City Schools have a very poor academic reputation,) their score might be exceptionally high for that school. Depending on the quality of local community and regional colleges, students like the OP might be better off going to a more expensive state school such as UA/UAB/UAH/Auburn.</p>

<p>I know a student who, like the OP, didn’t do very well in high school, but decided to major in engineering. He has a lot of practical know-how that many engineers lack and is succeeding with a double major on a 6-7 year plan (co-op included).</p>

<p>I highly suggest that the OP continue to have an upward trend in their high school grades, read about current events in engineering, and stay away from tobacco, illegal drugs, alcohol, and risky sex, as they can be particularly costly and disastrous for a young person, especially since all but the last are illegal for the OP.</p>

<p>ACT Math Advice.</p>

<p>I haven’t visited UAB or UAH, but I do know my son who is very good in math had to prep for the SAT and ACT Math. My son just couldn’t get through the questions quickly. He was trying to work thru each problem rather than rule out/estimate answers.</p>

<p>There are tricks to quickly move thru the questions. My son spent about 3 hours total working with his Math teacher. It increased his speed considerably. He was very happy with his scores.</p>

<p>His Math teacher had been an Engineering major and worked in PEng. His Math teacher told him these skills are necessary to get through some engineering courses simply because of time constraints. </p>

<p>I suggest looking at the Xiggi Method of studying for SAT on this site. Also work through a study book. Your counselor or local library may have some books.</p>

<p>Thank you all, especially parent56 and littlemissbama - down here in Jefferson county (particularly the school I attend where the nearest Walmart is 30 minutes away, and nearest mall is around an hour away) there is next to zero emphasis on success after school. The only teachers that I’ve had that cared where I ended up after high school are my current calculus teacher and my 9th grade art teacher.</p>

<p>Both of those people have probably given me a spark that I would’ve never had otherwise, my calculus teacher scored a 35 on her ACT and was paid to go to Alabama so she puts major emphasis on the test. That being said, our ECs are as some have said, next to none. The only ECs I have ever had was 3 years of theatre, and before coming to this forum I though ECs meant only sports, theatre, and band. </p>

<p>I would kill to have gone to a school where education was important, especially seeing the position that it has put me in at this point, seeing scores and GPA’s and ECs on the chance me section of the forum on here dwindled my hope for success down a lot and I was really anxious about my chances at, well, any school for that matter… </p>

<p>With all of that being said, I bought the Princeton Review math and science test prep, cracking the act, and the red act book and I will be studying my booty off until the February act gets here, wish me luck and thanks for all of the information everyone.</p>

<p>PS. I have one last question, a college admissions essay, although UAH doesn’t require one, given my scores and GPA, would it help? Thanks!</p>

<p>Itzbranman, just want to tell you to keep working hard and do your best…no matter what happens, you seem to have the drive to be successful in college and your future endeavors. Good luck!</p>

<p>itzbranman… if you go visit uab, let me know (pm) and maybe my son can take you around the campus and answer any questions you might have…its a great school!!! also feel free to pm me if you have any questions now.</p>

<p>best of luck.</p>