Best Creative Writing/Journalism summer programs for gifted students

Hello! For rising 10th -12th graders, which are the best/most prestigious/competitive summer programs for creative writing/writing/journalism? There’s a ton of information on STEM programs but having a hard time finding information on the most competitive writing summer opportunities. Thank you so much!

This is not my area of expertise, as my son is an engineer. He was an accomplished classical guitarist too and at the time was considering conservatory. Interlochen didn’t have a middle school program, so he attended as an adult student. It is an amazing campus. I don’t know how their writing program stacks up against others, but I know they offer it and the building on campus that houses it is quite nice.

Know too that just as in STEM, most competitive does not equate to best.

https://www.interlochen.org/

EDIT: I just watched the into video and it gave me chills. Writing, like music, is a gift I do not have. I imbibe both with a jealous heart!

1 Like

Kenyon, Sewanee, Iowa, and Rhodes all have precollege summer writing programs.

1 Like

One of the most prestigious writing awards is that by Concord Review. This used to only be based upon remote submission, in that students would write a history research paper, submit it, and a small fraction would get selected.

They now have summer online and in-person sections, so take a look.

2 Likes

I only know of Iowa and Kenyon. @MIP750 also mentioned Sewanee and Rhodes as well-known programs.

Have you looked at summer programs at, say, Harvard or other schools with good summer programs? Or state universities that also have summer courses, sometimes online?

Below is a pretty good list I think, which most already mentioned: Top Summer Creative Writing Programs for High Schoolers (thoughtco.com)

So Emerson, Sarah Lawrence have summer writing programs. Here is another one with programs at Yale , Stanford and UC Berkeley.

Education Unlimited offers the Emerging Writers Institute creative writing camp each summer at Yale University, Stanford University, and UC Berkeley.

1 Like

Thank you so much for all your leads and suggestions, I will look into this all. Really appreciate it!

If the goal is journalism think internship — much more helpful than an expensive course.

1 Like