Best Dorm Choice?

<p>Liz Waters or Kronshage?</p>

<p>Liz Waters - it’s closer to campus and has its own dining hall (but also lots and lots of stairs).</p>

<p>does anyone know anything about the statesider apartments? i think it used to be one of the university campus housing options, but now it seems to be private off campus housing, but also has a meal plan…wondering if there’s any reciprocity with other dining halls? Heard it’s a popular place for northeasterners, but not sure it’s always an advantage to be isolated by stereotype…any thoughts?</p>

<p>No reciprocity with UW dining halls. While I was ‘flamed’ once for being pro-UW dorms (over private dorms for first year students) - I’ll throw my opinion out there again: choose UW dorms over private dorms.</p>

<p>Statesider was never part of Res Halls- always private. Agree about Res Halls being the optimal choice for new freshmen. Also can’t beat the lack of a required meal plan in Res Halls- never any connections or reciprocity with the off campus/private dorms. The private dorm/apt Lucky advertised being close to UW dorm food services in the past. The truth is that Res Halls residents get a discount compared to others in purchasing food from them but anyone can eat in any Res Halls food service place and pay the cash rates- no special deals for private dorm residents at Res Halls facilities.</p>

<p>Only dorms listed on the Res Halls subsite of the UW website are part of the public dorms. Any others are private enterprise and subject to whatever contracts/rules/amenities the owners/management choose.</p>

<p>Some OOS students feel the should live with others from their area. No need to. Some may feel living in the regular dorms and mingling with typical UW students isn’t for them. Let them- it frees up dorm space for those who want Res Halls…</p>

<p>thanks for all the valuable information…first i need her to get accepted, but at least i’ve decided that she IS NOT going to be given the option of private apartments, totally makes no sense to not be in the dorms, especially as a freshman…glad i reached out for advice</p>

<p>Anyone mail in their signed contract for UW housing yet? The deadline on our D2’s paperwork is 2/1/11.</p>

<p>To all- be sure to meet housing contract deadlines. Also be aware that they are binding. Res Halls will return the deposit(s) if you do not attend UW and let them know by their deadline (May 1st?)- however you have to inform them separately from informing the university (do not assume because you decline UW that Res Halls has been notified).</p>

<p>Also- be sure the student is making the ranking choices- s/he is one living in Res Halls, not the parent. Any dorm can/will work out well. Let parents give their input/insights. Remember to think about ranking your top 5 or more choices- double check that you didn’t slip in a dorm you don’t want (eg a southeast/lakeshore dorm when all of you other top choices are in the other area). Do not worry about choices made now- there will be the “last chance” to change rankings next spring before the dorm assignment lottery is done in May (results known in early June).</p>