Best English Department in the UC

<p>Anyone know the rankings for English?</p>

<p>Berkeley or UCLA?</p>

<p>1.Berkeley
2.La
3.Irvine</p>

<p>Berkeley has always been unparalleled, and still is.</p>

<p>If I were a student just now applying, my alternate choices would be (after Berkeley) some of the LAC’s on the East Coast or in the midwest. </p>

<p>Berkeley rocks for theory. It is always THE place to be for english literary theory outside of England itself. The advantage of some of the LAC’s in that major is the smaller size classes for discussion groups/seminars, as well as some of the specialty topics in literary analysis and some of the interdisciplinary options in literature at those LAC’s.</p>

<p>I’m not knocking the other UC’s, which I’m sure have good profs in all dept’s. I’m just quite sure of Berkeley’s consistently high-level track record & its attractiveness to serious English profs & scholars.</p>

<p>For Literary Criticism and Theory, Irvine is consistently considered to be even better than Cal and they’re both well ahead of UCLA.
The current (2009) US News and World Report Rankings put UC-Irvine number 1 in the country.
[Literary</a> Criticism and Theory - English - Graduate Schools - Education - US News and World Report](<a href=“http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-english-schools/literary-criticism]Literary”>http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-english-schools/literary-criticism)</p>

<ol>
<li> UC–Irvine</li>
<li> Duke</li>
<li> UC–Berkeley</li>
<li> Cornell </li>
<li> Chicago</li>
<li> Columbia
Johns Hopkins </li>
<li> Yale</li>
<li> Princeton</li>
<li>SUNY–Buffalo</li>
</ol>

<p>UCI is amazing at the Humanities so i am not surprised. :)</p>

<p>To answer the OP directly, I think epiphany has the right order for English. Berkeley then UCLA and UC-Irvine. But I wanted to make the point that UC-Irvine, which doesn’t have the same name recognitition, is great in Critical Theory and in Creative Writing. It has, in my opinion, the best program for teaching undergraduate writing in the UC system.</p>

<p>Thank you for the clarification, paradoxical, because there’s no way I can agree with your previous list as to literary <em>analysis</em>. Writing is a different issue. And I would never buy that Duke is ahead of Berkeley in worth, in this field, never.</p>

<p>It’s basically, Oxford/Cambridge, then Berkeley.</p>