Best for TAMU Engineering - iPad or Surface 2 ?

<p>I realize this is not a question about admission, but my S is starting to put together his freshman electronic wish list and we are debating whether we should get him an iPad or a Surface 2. He has a full laptop, but wants something he can carry around to classes. Anyone currently at TAMU have some guidance? </p>

<p>Thanks and sorry this isn't an admission question, but I respect the advise here.</p>

<p>get an XPS 12</p>

<p>it doubles between laptop and tablet relatively cheaply</p>

<p>Surface Pro 2 costs way, way too much for what it gives you (like ~1300 for the same stats of a ~750 XPS), and iPad limits you to the Apple walled garden, which essentially just makes it a large iPhone that can’t call via network</p>

<p>same with the non-pro surface, it’s just a large windows phone somewhat trapped in the Microsoft Store’s mediocre app collection</p>

<p>If he has a full laptop, then I would go with the iPad. The Surface 2 is a two in one laptop/tablet, while the iPad’s main focus is being a tablet. Apple products are very durable. I have had an iPad 2 for three years now, and still works like new, even with the iOS upgrades throughout the years. I plan on replacing it with a newer iPad this upcoming school year.</p>