Best housing hall for a Computer Science Major?

<p>I have to rank my hall preferences and I am completely lost. I am looking for a place that is near CS classes and library. I'm hoping there is a hall that is popular around CS guys. I'd also settle for a place with Math majors, since mathematics is my other interest. Any suggestions are appreciated.</p>

<p>The strongest academic dorm is Chadbourne. The location would be excellent for you just a few blocks to CS and math buildings and one block from main library and student union.</p>

<p>Many of your classes will be in other buildings so don’t just focus on Comp Sci. STRONGLY disagree with “the strongest academic dorm is Chadbourne”. This requires joining a special program, one that does not meet your needs/interests. There are stellar students all over campus. You will meet friends with similar interests in your classes. </p>

<p>Choose your dorm based on other factors than distance to a building, that said Liz Waters is close as well . The lakeshore dorms may suit you and perhaps some of the preengineering students will share interests/classes and want to be at that end of campus. Walking to classes is one form of the needed exercise you should consider. Several Lakeshore dorms are close to a library and evening snack bar- great for studying/study breaks. You may want Liz, but also popular and you need second choices- son lived there and it was a quick DOWNHILL walk to Van Vleck (math) classroom entrance as well as another short walk from there to Comp Sci.</p>

<p>Look at the features of various dorms. See if proximity to a snack bar matters. Style of rooms. Nearness to a library (it doesn’t have to be one with your field- Steenbock, the Ag library, has many places to study and is close to Lakeshore dorms). Do you want a highrise or to be in a more suburban-trees/grass setting during your nonclass hours? Think about this most. </p>

<p>Any dorm can be a great choice. All students will find they need to walk to several different parts of campus. You can eat at any food service area- you don’t need to get back to your dorm area for meals. Base your choice on the atmosphere that most appeals to you regardless of location relative to any classroom building. You will be happiest there and won’t mind the walk to places.</p>

<p>What do you base your “Strong” disagreement on??? I think virtually any student interested in the best possible academic experience would find the Chad programs very attractive. Just the stuff you are always preaching.</p>

<p>The UW says this:</p>

<p>Is there an Honors dorm?</p>

<p>There is no Honors dorm at the UW-Madison campus. The L&S Honors Program does recommend that students interested in participating the Honors Program consider residing in one of the university’s residential learning communities. The residential learning communities on campus include: Chadbourne Residential College, the Bradley Learning Community, Women in Science and Engineering, and the Multicultural Learning Community. To learn more about Residential Learning Community opportunities on campus, please visit the UW’s Learning Community website at [Residential</a> Learning Communities at UW-Madison](<a href=“http://www.learning.wisc.edu/communities/res.html]Residential”>http://www.learning.wisc.edu/communities/res.html).</p>

<p>On Chadbourne RC:</p>

<p>[Chadbourne</a> Residential College - Welcome](<a href=“http://www.housing.wisc.edu/crc/]Chadbourne”>http://www.housing.wisc.edu/crc/)</p>

<p>CRC (Chadbourne & Barnard Halls) is an outstanding platform for helping students develop their potential through interpersonal connections and academic and extracurricular engagement. Co-sponsored by the College of Letters & Science and University Housing, CRC blends academic with residential hall life. Students learn as much from each other as from formal academics, so we strive to offer the benefits of a small liberal arts college within our world-class research university.</p>

<p>CRC gives first-year students fun and intellectually engaging opportunities to get to know sophomores, juniors, seniors, faculty, staff, and community partners.
CRC offers the most small courses and course sections. UW-Madison courses reserved for CRC residents include CRC seminars and special topics, math, Afro-American Studies, chemistry, history, journalism, English, women’s studies, political science, sociology, and others.
CRC residents have fun and learn from each other, faculty, and staff during our trips to museums, plays and musical events, our inter-floor competitions and formal social dinners, our “What Matters to Me and Why”; series where prominent scholars speak personally about their work, and our monthly social “teas,” ski trips, and Common Read programs.</p>

<p>"
CRC students report that interacting with faculty and staff members in our community helps them immeasurably. “Wise adults” become mentors, allies, research role models, references, and facilitators of their intellectual development, to name a few! Since 90% of a student’s time during college is spent outside the classroom, our faculty, staff, and community partners have many opportunities to stimulate and be involved richly with student development.</p>

<p>Our faculty and staff partners often report that CRC students are enthusiastic, motivated, and engaged learners. We have some plain old fun too. Will you join us?</p>

<p>Our faculty and staff partners have reported:
CRC resources helps them piloting projects/courses/and new ideas
Our setting makes it easy to recruit great students for research, projects, and disciplinary involvement
It’s rewarding to connect with 1st and 2nd year students through out-of-classroom interactions
Partnerships for mutually beneficial funding, grants, and research is possible"</p>

<p>CRC does not have the math and science courses the top Honors students would take (the invitation only ones most Honors students don’t take). It may be fine for many students, especially liberal arts majors, but not all. There are plenty of excellent students in other dorms. The women in Science and Engineering program is not in Chad. It is NOT an Honors dorm. Students need to like the environment they live in, some students do not want a high rise. One reason the CRC was put in Chad was to make it more popular and it is large enough for enough students to fill the classes. Other dorms have class sections in them as well. Students can be found in other dorms who have the same qualities advertised for Chad.</p>

<p>Well I don’t think the OP is female so I did not mention WISE. The rest of your post is just noise. Sure there are good students in all the dorms. He asked for the best dorm. I think there is clear evidence that Chad offers the most programming that any student looking for the best overall academic experience–inside and outside class. And as you well know most freshmen are not taking just classes in their major. As an L&S student (both math and CS are in L&S) he will need lots of other classes outside those areas. At least some of the inhouse classes will meet the overall degree requirements.</p>