Best laptop for engineering and when to buy it?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for laptops for engineering and when I should buy it meaning at my NSC, before I get on campus, or after move in? I was thinking of getting the Surface Pro 1 and not the 2, will that matter? What does everyone else think is a good laptop? Thanks

@cooldude234 The engineering department will publish the minimum specifications for student laptops (fall 2020) eventually. If you search for “tamu byod” now, you will see the specs for fall 2019/spring 2020. Who knows if it will change for next year. Its good to stick with what you are familiar with - whether mac, hp, ms, lenova, etc. You should have your laptop in your hands before move-in, so you are ready to hit the ground running when classes start.

My son got one of the engineering department recommended systems. It has worked very well for him but according to him there was no need to get that high powered of a system. I think we could have easily spent half the amount and been just fine. And you just need to have it before school starts in the fall.

I fretted about this too, and ended up just getting D a ‘regular’ PC. She never had any need for a souped up on (she’s not a gamer). I think she’s still using it 6 years later (now graduated).

I’d get it before going to college just to it is set up and ready to go on day one. Many states have ‘tax free’ days in August and you can save $50 on the sales tax.