Best Route from Oxford, MS to Tuscaloosa

<p>We will be visiting UA next week — with a quick stop at Ole Miss first. For those of you that have made the drive to/from Oxford, MS to/from Tuscaloosa, do you have any recommendations on the route? It looks like there are at least two routes to choose from: 1) east on MS-6/US-278 through Tupelo; continue east on US-78; south on AL-13 straight into Tuscaloosa, or 2) at Tupelo, head south on US-45; and east on US-82 into Tuscaloosa. They Mapquest at essentially the same distance and time. Do you prefer one route over the other?</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>My google maps suggests another route, which heads south long before Tupelo. Looks like heading south on 336???</p>

<p>What time are you getting? I’m getting 3 hrs 6 minutes.</p>

<p>(but I could save you more time if you just skip The Rebels entirely. :wink: )</p>

<p>jk</p>

<p>M2CK --</p>

<p>I’m getting virtually equal 3 hrs 18 - 20 min., respectively, on the two routes. I will check Google maps as well.</p>

<p>FWIW, we are spending about four hours checking out the Barksdale Honors College at Ole Miss since my daughter was accepted — and “we’re in the area”. We are spending three nights and two full days in Tuscaloosa. My daughter’s standard hi/bye greeting has become “Roll Tide”!</p>

<p>FiveUnderPar - I’ve never driven from Oxford to Tuscaloosa, but I just put it into Microsoft Streets and Trips, and it spit out the second route you listed (278, then south on 45 and east on 82). It said 3 hours 6 minutes. Have a great trip!</p>

<p>There’s no real simple way between the two cities. I would recommend taking Hwy 278 between Oxford and Tupelo, Hwy 45 between Tupelo and Columbus and Hwy 82 between Columbus and Tuscaloosa.</p>

<p>I have gone both routes…we prefer route number 1. Although not a highway by any means we love the drive down 13. If you’re lucky you will some really pigs grazing in some yards :).</p>

<p>ooppss!!! I meant really BIG pigs! We actually stopped to take pics…they were amazing!</p>