Best route to UA from Phenix City, AL

<p>I have mapquested from Phenix City to UA and I get the following scenarios. Is there a best way? Should I avoid any of these routes?
My D and I will be traveling on a Sunday.</p>

<p>Hwy 280 to I-85 to I-65 to Hwy 20
Hwy 280 to I-85 to Montgomery then Hwy 6
Hwy 280 most of the way, then I-459 to I-20</p>

<p>wow…you’re at the Georgia border aren’t you.</p>

<p>I think your first choice is best. Get to Montgomery, go north on I 65…and then head to T-town on I 20…exit McFarland…go north…then take the University Blvd exit (cloverleaf exit)</p>

<p>My FIL lives there. Since we drive from central FL it makes a great jumping off point to UA. Thank you for the advice. </p>

<p>I have traveled the first route before. It just gets so clogged with traffic near Pelham on 65 that I wondered if there was a way around that?</p>

<p>If it’s your first time, you may to play it safe and stay on interstates. You’ll be saving a half-hour at most coming up US Hwy 82 from Montgomery to Tuscaloosa.</p>

<p>Feenotype, what type of road is US Hwy 82 from Montgomery to Tuscaloosa?</p>

<p>Between Prattville and Centreville, a distance of around 55 miles, it’s a two-lane undivided highway. From Centreville to Tuscaloosa, a distance of around 35 miles, it’s a four-lane divided highway.</p>

<p>Thank you feenotype. I don’t want to drive on the 2 lane road so I will stay on 85 and 65. </p>

<p>Unless someone knows if Hwy 280 is a four lane divided highway from Phenix City to I-259 in Hoover?</p>

<p>I know that US 280 is mostly a 4-lane divided highway in much of the Birmingham/Hoover area, but would probably recommend taking I-85 to I-65 to I-459 to I-20/59 as it is all interstate.</p>

<p>Either way, remember to set your watches/clocks to Central Time after you leave Phenix City.</p>

<p>Thank you Sea_Tide. It looks like I will just stay on the interstate.</p>