Best School for a B student who loves to build computers and cars [3.2, 1200]

Son is naturally gifted in math and science but struggles to do things that “don’t make sense” like english :frowning: so his GPA is a 3.2 unweighted and weighted :slight_smile: He’s a great kid, and we want to find a program that will encourage his natural curiosity for mechanical engineering, but it seems engineering is one of those majors that is reserved for the 4.0 crowd. Any diamonds in the rough that we should be considering? He is applying to many schools in New England and a few where we have family connections, namely: Merrimack, Endicott, UMASS Lowell, Roger Williams, WPI (reach), Quinnipiac, Nova Southeastern, James Madison.
Any others he should be looking at or any feedback on any of these programs, good or bad?

1 Like

Budget? Scores? Rigor of his curriculum?

1 Like

Clarkson is a gem. And they give awesome merit aid. Also consider Manhattan College, UMaine. Ds crashed and burned at QU. Big party school. Are Endicott and Roger Williams ABET accredited?

6 Likes

Budget is not an issue, 1200 unprepped SAT (doesn’t want to take again), one honors class the rest a weird mid level that our top 5 MA high school has between Honors and college prep. Considering PG year.

1 Like

University of Hartford?

Yes. And thanks for the Clarkson recc, will check that out.

Doesn’t appear to have great graduation rates, do you have any personal experience?

I’ll send you a message.

1 Like

My husband is a University of Hartford graduate who had a very very successful career as an electrical engineer. Our neighbor’s son got his degree from UHart in mechanical engineering and also is doing very well.

It’s not the college for everyone. I would suggest that you reach out to the college of engineering…see what info you can get from them.

2 Likes

@AustenNut any suggestions for this student?

Wentworth institute of technology. It’s a very hands on program. Good friend’s son goes there and likes it.

7 Likes

Wentworth is another good suggestion!

4 Likes

Perhaps he might be more interested in engineering tech than engineering. RIT offers exploratory majors in both.

3 Likes

What is the difference between engineering tech and engineering? For some reason engineering tech sounds more like an associate’s degree, is that right?

Elon has engineering and might be a good fit

2 Likes

You might find a lot of helpful info in this thread:

Some moderately selective schools can be excellent for mechanical engineering. RIT and Clarkson, which have been named, offer examples of this. Drexel might represent another good potential option.

3 Likes

I don’t know a ton about Rowan but I have family members with similar personal profiles who recently attended for engineering and were both happy and well educated.

2 Likes

As a general aspect to consider, mechanical engineering and computer engineering often represent distinct areas of concentration. Your son may benefit from emphasizing schools in his search with available programs in both of these engineering subfields.

3 Likes

I like the mentions of Clark, Wentworth, Manhattan, and Hartford. Some other possibilities you may want to check out include:

• SUNY Polytechnic About 2k undergrads and has a full selection of both engineering and engineering tech degrees…all of which are bachelor’s degrees). I am not the one to explain the difference between the two, except that the latter usually require less math.

• Alfred (NY): About 1300 undergrads, but SUNY Colege of Technology at Alfred has about 3300 more undergrads. The former has engineering while the latter has engineering technology.

• Norwich (VT): About 2800 undergrads and offers both engineering and engineering technology.

• Penn State: Behrend (Erie) - About 3200 undergrads, and this is one of the non-main campuses that is residential and has students that stay all 4 years. Offers both engineering and engineering technology.

• U. of New Hampshire: About 12k undergrads

• Widener (PA ): About 2600 undergrads

• Wilkes (PA ): About 2k undergrads

• York (PA ): About 3300 undergrads

If your family is okay with more religiously devout/conservative schools, Gannon and Grove City in Pennsylvania would also be worth a look.

4 Likes