Best School for a B student who loves to build computers and cars [3.2, 1200]

Unfortunately, it’s not - there have already been cuts and others are on the way (in Engineering). The least cut Dept so far seems to be Mining but even that had to suffer cuts and professors there don’t feel safe at all. One reason is the inane way the cuts were decided, ie., looking at the number of primary majors (which when students are double majoring are entered in alphabetical order,) with no concern for the secondary major, minors, distribution requirements, or concentrations, nor economic importance to the State or its connections… Fortunately for them but not for the students, professors in these Depts will have no trouble finding industry jobs, so once they’re gone it’ll be difficult to have them return.
In short, I’m sorry to say that I don’t think any WVU Dept, including Engineering, is safe, and imho despite its former strengths the university is too unstable at the moment for it to be recommended to non WV students, even if it WAS a solid choice for B-students who wanted Engineering. :sleepy: :face_with_head_bandage:

2 Likes

Hey, that’s great that he’s getting together before college! There are going to be plenty of good ABET accredited schools that he can get into, and what he does in college will be more important than the exact college he goes to.

And it was mentioned here already but check out the polytechnic school at Purdue. It’s more hands-on, and could be a good match.

1 Like

Wright State revamped their engineering math a few years ago. It is spread across more classes with real world hands on examples.

“The traditional approach to engineering mathematics education begins with one year of freshman calculus as a prerequisite to subsequent core engineering courses. However, the inability of incoming students to successfully advance through the traditional freshman calculus sequence is a primary cause of attrition in engineering programs across the country. As a result, the Wright State model seeks to redefine the way in which engineering mathematics is taught, with the goal of increasing student retention, motivation and success in engineering.”

2 Likes

That sounds great, but I’d be wary of attending a school with an OOS enrollment of 3% and over 60% from the surrounding county if I were an OOS student.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.