Best Schools for Undergraduate Aerospace Engineering

TAMU is steeped in traditions. (Each class year has a certain chant, students stand the whole time at Football games, stuff like that). My daughter assumed she would not ‘fit in’ there because she is not into that sort of thing, and as a result we (mom and dad) assumed she would not be interested in enrolling.

But after receiving generous scholarships and invite to the engineering honors program, we paid them a visit. We spent extended time observing campus life, she was pleasantly surprised by the diversity of the student body and the wide range of student groups, etc.

Reality at TAMU is not unlike other large schools with a strong sense of school spirit. You’ve got over 50,000 undergrads from all walks of life, and a very healthy, supportive sense of community spirit. Speaking from personal experience, in just the last few months we have been treated like family by total strangers since she chose to enroll for this fall.

1 Like

If you are instate for TAMU, it will probably be a different experience than your average OOS student from New Jersey. Most kids will be from Texas . Some OOS kids would love it , others might not. It is a great , well respected engineering program but good idea to check if the school fits this particular student.

1 Like

Absolutely agree. I would not enroll in any program without visiting first. And by visiting, I don’t mean just the staged campus tours that where each school carefully curates an impression. For example, with both TAMU and U of Arizona (another other school that made her an attractive $ offer), we spent a half day casually lurking around the main students hubs where engineering students do life to get a feel for the student body and day to day life. We would have done the same visit to USF (third school that was super generous) but her heart was set on TAMU post-visit.

Were you instate for any of the finalists? Very glad you and your family are so happy at TAMU!

So I am going to respond to Buflea as the OP, but really I am going to give advice contrary to multiple posts. Speaking as an Aerospace Engineer, I find it incredibly annoying, frustrating, rude, inconsiderate and just anger inducing when people repeatedly tell someone they shouldn’t major in Aerospace Engineering because they can get a degree in Mechanical Engineering and it’s safer, or broader or more employable or whatever other glib reason they want to come up with. Especially when most of the people offering that advice are not aerospace engineers and many are not even engineers. For me it was Aerospace Engineering or it wasn’t going to be engineering at all. Period. Electrical engineering was never going to happen (hated my one electrical class I had to take), wasn’t interested in Biomed and comparing the Aerospace curriculum to Mechanical curriculum when I was in college, the Mechanical curriculum did not look remotely interesting. In fact it looked boring as all hell. Is that a personal opinion? Absolutely! But it was my major and my choice and my future- I wasn’t going to switch to Mech E just because people thought it looked like it had safer career prospects. Actually, it wasn’t uncommon for people to switch to Mech E because they thought it was easier than Aero. I don’t know if that was true. To me it would have been harder because it looked awfully boring. But if you google most difficult engineering majors most lists do put Aerospace in the top 3, so… Second- to say they are the same, is not really true either- freshman and sophomore year you take the same classes, and yes the foundations are the same, but by junior year AEs and MEs have maybe two classes together first semester and after that are separate and AE becomes more specialized. In the end we took about 7-10 different classes from them depending on technical electives. So they start the same, but they diverge. Third - sorry, don’t mean to call you out but for someone to say (Clearly I am paraphrasing) “my son did a whole bunch of elective aerodynamics courses and research in graduate school” is completely irrelevant to the discussion of what somebody will do in undergrad and is also not the norm for undergrad. You can pretty much build your curriculum in grad school, undergrad is pretty much laid out for you. It’s great that he had the opportunity to do that, but does that represent the classes he actually took in his BS ME program? Fourth, it’s not really fair when people say “get the ME BS and AE MS” because not everybody gets an MS. If somebody is absolutely 100% sure they are getting an MS maybe that makes sense, but in reality, nobody is 100% they are getting an MS for so many reasons. College is draining. Engineering programs are particularly draining- especially if you do it in 4 years. And Finances! So if you are only 100% certain you are getting a BS and you really want the AE, you should go for the AE.

I had no idea if I would get a masters degree after college- I was burnt out. But, due to one of those economic downturns everyone worries about I did. A few years after I graduated I went back and got an MS in Aero too and later got another MS.

So, let me give you some other ideas of why the constant “don’t get an aerospace degree”, is offensive. If somebody said they wanted to get a degree in Neuroscience, would 50 people chime in - you should really consider getting a degree in Biology because it is more broad and you can take it in more directions and do anything with it? How about if somebody said they wanted to major in performance violin? Would everybody tell them it is a waste of time and they should major in Finance? What if they said they wanted to major in Finance? Would everybody tell them accounting has more immediate career prospects? What about architecture? Would everybody tell them Civil Engineering is easier, faster and cheaper and more employable? If somebody told you they wanted to major in Sports Journalism, would everybody tell them that was stupid and too specialized and they should just get a degree in journalism and then they could get a job anywhere which could include sports journalism or could include regular journalism if all sports go away? I could go on and on. And don’t pick apart the examples, they are merely meant to make a point.

Now, I’ll take a step back for a moment, if the intent is truly of the nature to encourage the OP to delve a little and find out if there is a particular aspect of aerospace that excites their son and based on that he might find that what he wants to do is better suited to another engineering field. Then that is valid, but to me the tone of most of the comments has been very much about discouraging people from pursuing aerospace degrees. People have even pointed out that there are more Mech E degrees as if that made it the right choice. The reason there are more Mech E degrees is because there are far far more universities that offer them, and I think many universities removed their aero degrees over the last 10 years in favor of certificates or minors (probably to save accreditation costs). But right now, the Aero market is doing very well.

So, if your son wants to do Aero, I for one do not think he should be discouraged for any reason. You can certainly tell him mechanical may be more general and you can still get a job in aero (completely true), and go work outside aero more easily in a downturn. But the logic should never be to discourage someone from their passion because mechanical might be slightly more employable or because you can get an job in aero with any engineering degree. Yes, he can get a job in aero with an EE, ME, CE, BME or ChE degree and he can also get a job in aero with an Aero degree. Funny how that works. He can also get a job at auto manufacturers and Disney and a bunch of other companies with an aero degree. One other thing, any school that has Aero will have Mechanical, but obviously not all schools that have Mechanical will have Aero, so you should certainly be limiting your list by schools that offer good aerospace programs, not good mechanical programs.

This got long. I’ll tackle colleges separately. Sorry - don’t mean to offend anyone, but I do take offense when people always tell people that getting a degree in aerospace is a waste of time and that mechanical engineering is the same thing. :grin:

ok, off my soap box for the now…

8 Likes

TAMU has a large Corps of Cadets that set the tone at the university. It gives it a much different feel than a lot of other universities. Also, the campus is physically huge.

Personally, as one who had made comments about “why aero?”, it’s NEVER been don’t be an AE. AE is an awesome degree. It’s been more about WHAT does the OP’s son see themselves doing? Too many think that every job in the industry requires an AE degree. There couldn’t be a statement further from the truth, as you know. The industry leans on lots of types of engineers. My point…what do you want to do?

It may come across as “be a ME” because others have campaigned that AE is the most specialized for the industry. As you know, it depends on what you want to do.

2 Likes

Interesting . Virginia Tech also has a Corps of Cadets , about 1200 of about 30,000 undergrads but I didn’t feel they particularly set the tone. They did dress in uniform for the parades before football games and manned the cannon , Skipper, at football games. Homer Hickam (October Sky /Rocket Boys) had something to do with the cannon. They’re an important part of school history, but didn’t seem to dominate campus. At least, I didn’t think so.

We are in Texas. Funny thing is at the start of this, our daughter expressed zero interest in staying in Texas, she wanted to go ANYWHERE other than Texas and developed a fascination with Arizona and Florida schools.

We had her apply to A&M as a financial safety in case other schools she was looking at did not come through with a good package, but didn’t see her going unless the sky was falling. Especially once a few other nice offers came in.

But once we visited, she was surprised by the diversity of the student body (for example, TAMU is a HSI which means 25%+ Hispanic/Latino), and beyond impressed by the resources that have been poured into the engineering school. The Zachry building is really quite a marvel compared to other schools we visited. And then we sat two hours in the main Starbucks that engineering students frequent (and can use ‘dining dollars at’) to get a sense for the social climate. Much to my surprise she was sold on TAMu and never looked back. We recently went for two day ‘New Student Conference’ for registration, etc, and she left even more confident in her choice.

4 Likes

That’s wonderful. Hope your daughter has a great time there! My husband did an engineering short course at TAMU many years ago. It’s a great school and always special when your child finds the best school for them.

I would describe the Corps of Cadets similarly at TAMU. Yes, TAMU is a school with many traditions, but at the end of the day the vast majority of students do their own thing. Do the Corps guys stand out on campus? Of course, I mean who else wears wool in Texas heat?

2 Likes

I’m not an engineer, but your reasons stand. Why major in something you aren’t as interested in? And the comments regarding getting a Masters are applicable as well. Why wait if you know what you want now?

I also found it odd that someone commented they might change majors or not know what they want to do. That’s applicable in any field and you adjust as you go.

Particulars about how one can switch back and forth between AE and ME could be helpful, IMO to the OP. But questioning their basic interests seems condescending at best. Lots of assumptions from some that assume OP doesn’t understand the industry, know what they want etc. Would be more helpful IMO to point out differences and let OP pick.

2 Likes

@neela1 Rutgers actually has an aerospace engineering degree.

Agree also - this is similar to how on cc there are a ton of people always pushing for a cheaper school no matter what the poster says. I have an Astro kid interested in observational astronomy /instrumentation/space satellites and similar and although he seems to have decided to do astronomy/astrophysics in college rather than engineering (insert mom sigh for job prospects) if he were to do engineering he would focus on his actual interest and do aero.

5 Likes

Someone here commented that it is only 3 years old. So I figured if the OP wants more tenure from the program …

Aerospace has been accredited since October 1, 2017. The next comprehensive review is 2024-2025, according to the ABET info online.

1 Like

The OP said that their son would need loans to attend some of the schools they’re interested in. Is there something wrong with posters, and there have been many thus far, who have knowledge of industry jobs and salaries, and a deep understanding of the drag of leverage on wealth building pointing out that it might not be a good idea?

As for majors, only one poster has advocated ME outright. The rest of us, all either in the industry or with family members that are or have been, are simply helping the OP understand the complex space (no pun intended :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::rocket:). He may very well know exactly what he wants to do and that AE might be the perfect degree. As of yet, he hasn’t articulated that to his mother, and thus not to any of the posters out here. All of these are intended as educational and not proscriptive, save one, @Eeyore123, and they may have a very valid, experience based reason for that opinion.

3 Likes

A student can only take a finite (and nearly fixed) number of elective courses, whatever major s/he chose. It’s always a tradeoff between breadth and depth in college. A more specialized major works for a student who is absolutely certain about it and if the college offers it. On the other hand, a less-specialized (i.e. more general) major gives the student more flexibility. The student can still choose to take the more specialized courses as electives (assuming the college offers them), or concentrate on having a broader set of skills. If the student has the relevant background (courses, skills, etc.) it doesn’t really matter whether s/he majors in AE or ME. A friend of my S in college just graduated with an ME degree and he’s about to start at SpaceX.

3 Likes

AnonDad2026 - fantastic inside.
Just wanted to say I appreciated all messages. I’m sure people get involved and give advice with good intentions. Although this is a learning curve for me, I will gather all information and my son will decide.

I totally understand the umbrella a ME offers in case aerospace industry will become not so flourished. However the broader the degree, the more people on the market to compete for the same job. Also, the boarder the degree, the more experience in the industry matters. Therefore there are ups and downs with broader degrees.

Going back to the initial post - as few suspected already, at 17, I believe my son likes the industry, is interested in the science of flying. Most likely he will enjoy a curriculum that includes these kind of courses.

Far from being a snob, in my mind, school reputation is related to industry connections and job opportunities - and that’s why I was looking to a “good” school as in the end, I wish for my kid to start building his professional career easy and fast, less hustle, more exposure.

My question to you is - in your professional experience as an AE, how stable the aerospace industry is ?

Yeap - me. Rutgers is a safe choice for us and financially convenient - however very new in the field.