Best UW-Madison dorm for a "nerdy" girl?

<p>Hi, everybody. Although I haven't made a decision yet, Madison is urging admitted students to fill out the housing information in order to ensure a spot in their desired dorms. So, I am currently in the process of ranking my top residence halls for Wisconsin. The thing that worries me about UW-Madison is that it is known as a party school and I'm not much of a partier. I like to be social and I definitely don't want to be locked away in my dorm all year... but at the same time, I don't want to be around people drinking/doing drugs. All of my friends from high school (whom I love with all of my heart) are all the nerdier and quirkier Nerdfighter types. So, I'd like to surround myself with these types of people at Madison, if I can. What do you guys think would be the best dorm for someone who is somewhat socially awkward? I've heard great things about the Lakeshore dorms; I hear that they are very chill, which appeals to me. But I'm still having issues ranking my top dorms in this neighborhood. What do you guys suggest for a girl like me?</p>

<p>Chadbourne!</p>

<p><a href=“https://www.housing.wisc.edu/crc[/url]”>https://www.housing.wisc.edu/crc&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Read everything in the menu bar on the left to learn more about Chadbourne Residential College (CRC).</p>

<p>If you rank Chadbourne learning community as your first, you WILL be placed in Chadbourne, and be able to choose your own room.</p>

<p>Here’s a unique experience only available to CRC-ers:
[CRC-Global</a> | University Housing at UW-Madison](<a href=“http://www.housing.wisc.edu/crc/global]CRC-Global”>Global Café is Back for Spring – University Housing – UW–Madison)</p>

<p>Agree that Chad Residential College is a great option – a mid-size dorm, in southeast so close to many things but still not in the Sellery/Witte/Ogg/Smith corridor. Dining hall on site.</p>

<p>My son toured Chad and there was a group of students playing zombie nerf hangman in one of the classrooms. </p>

<p>Lakeshore has reputation of being quieter than southeast, but Chad could have higher concentration of your kind of folks. There are enough spots in Chad that you should get it if you rank it first.</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses, guys! So, how does Chadbourne compare to the Bradley learning community in the Lakeshore neighborhood? My only qualm with Chad is that I’d always imagined living near the lake. Although, feeling comfortable in my dorm does come first.</p>

<p>I believe you can see the lake (about 2 blocks away) from some of the upper floors in Chadbourne, depending on what side of the building you pick.</p>

<p>I am not familiar with the first year learning community in Bradley.</p>

<p>My son is living in Bradley this year. He chose it because he wanted to live near the lake. He has enjoyed Bradley but the one big negative is how far away the Lakeshore dorms are from everywhere else. Like to State Street and such. However you can take I believe the 32 bus for free to other parts of campus and it gets you quite close to State Street. It is a very social dorm, they have a lot of activities going on all the time and field trips. You can do as much or as little as you like. Since it is a learning community, he was able to choose his own room so he chose a lake view room although it is hard to see the lake from his room because of the trees right outside his window. I think the girls’ side of the floor has a better true view of the lake.</p>

<p>Also Chad or any of the learning communities. They add more each year.</p>

<p>NOT Chad from this eons ago nerd, nor for recent nerd son. You have to decide Lakeshore or Southeast- if you want a highrise then go with Chad. Otherwise too many variables to determine which dorm just on the basis of being a nerd. Every dorm has pros and cons. You have to rank your priorities on other criteria- building size, location etc. Read the other dorm search threads. You will find a mix of people in most dorms, even the “party” dorms. Most nerds, those in the L&S Honors program will NOT be in a learning community- those don’t fit all majors/personalities.</p>

<p>I suppose Chadbourne would be closer to my classes than Bradely, which would be nice. I love to be social, so long as it’s with people that I feel comfortable with and get along with. Not sure how I’d feel about going on field trips and things, though.</p>

<p>"Is there an honors dorm? </p>

<p>There is no honors dorm at UW-Madison. The L&S Honors Program does, however, recommend that students interested in participating the Honors Program consider residing in one of the university’s residential learning communities. The residential learning communities on campus include Chadbourne Residential College, Bradley Learning Community, the Entrepreneurial Residential Learning Community, GreenHouse, a range of International Learning Communities, the Multicultural Learning Community and Women in Science and Engineering (WISE). To learn more about residential learning community opportunities on campus, please visit the UW’s learning community website."</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.honors.ls.wisc.edu/SiteContent.aspx?id=152[/url]”>http://www.honors.ls.wisc.edu/SiteContent.aspx?id=152&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>As a ‘nerdy’ girl, you may have enjoyed the field trip which consisted of a cavalcade of yellow school buses to the West Side of Madison to see the Midnight Premier of Hunger Games at Point Cinemas.</p>

<p>Well, I finally looked on a map and realized just how far away from campus Bradley is. While I do like Bradley’s location right on the lake, I would not enjoy the walk in the winter… so, I put Chadbourne first on my selection form. Thanks for the advice, guys! </p>

<p>Now, does this mean that I will be automatically placed in Chadbourne, or is there a chance that it’ll be filled up?</p>

<p>Was there an option to put Chadbourne first versus Chadbourne Learning Community first?</p>

<p>I am fairly certain that if you put Chadbourne Learning Community first, you will get to pick your own room online eventually (higher or lower floor, facing the lake, or University Avenue or Park Street, etc).</p>

<p>Honors students live all over- most NOT in one of the residential communities. Consider all other factors when choosing your dorm. Those in STEM fields may not benefit from groups that draw other interests. You’ll find plenty of likeminded people in any dorm and your classes.</p>

<p>Hey!
I see that you already made your decision to live in Chadbourne if you come here next year but I’d just like to chime in and second the opinion that Chad is an outstanding choice. I’m a 2cd semester freshman and I shared some of your concerns before I came to UW, but I’ve found Chad to be a really ideal environment. My floor is very social but I’ve never felt pressured to party heavily. I’m also a nerdfighter, by the way! There’s quite a lot of us at UW, I’ve found. My group of friends and I are staying in Chad for another year, so if you attend perhaps we’ll run into each other. Good luck with your college decisions. Best wishes!</p>