BGR?

Hello, everyone. I am a junior transferring to Purdue university this semester. The school highly recommend me to attend BGR(Boiler Golden Rush), but the fee is pretty high ($320). Do you guys think it is worth? I personally don’t want to join. if I don’t join, do you think it impacts my school life? Thanks guys!

No, it’s just an orientation week that has icebreaker activities and stuff. I’m going because I personally want to meet as many people as I can before school starts, but it has no academic impact on you.

BGR was pretty amazing for my D. It’s very well organized and is great way to meet people and learn your way around campus before classes start.

It was immensely helpful to my daughter and I highly, highly recommended it to all incoming Freshman.

As a Junior transfer, it may not be as applicable - I suspect at least 90%+ of the attendees will be incoming Freshmen.

But even with that - learning your way around campus, the traditions that all of your future classmates will have learned and experienced, etc, may be valuable. Honestly, $320 is the cost of a couple of textbooks, or about 1 day of tuition. You might even meet some (ack!) Freshmen and become friends.

BGR really helped my D find her feet fast at Purdue. In that one week she made friends, learned the campus and the local transit system, explored the area, learned a ton of “traditions” and generally had a great time. By week two she and her fellow BGRers felt totally at home and ready for the year to start. It’s a great program and was worth every penny for us but it is optional. My d’s roommate didn’t attend BGR and it was fine but she started the school year with a much smaller circle of acquaintances and less confidence.