Bicycles on the UW campus

<p>S will take a bike with him in the fall instead of a car. Since he plans on Lakeshore dorms, I want him to be able to get to the far reaches of campus quicker than walking. Also, he's hoping to eventually do research at the Waisman center which is on the far west part of campus. </p>

<p>So....at this point, the plan is to fix up my 20-year-old Schwinn road bike (hardly been used, sadly). It's got the nice touring handlebars, and we'd get a tuneup. He is fine with that option (I raised a very frugal boy!), and bike fits him well. </p>

<p>Do you all think that a skinny tire road bike is the way to go? Or, should I look for a used mountain bike? (For those in the Milw. metro area, there is a used bike sale in Delafield tomorrow!) </p>

<p>Any ideas?</p>

<p>Mtn bikes sure are fun around campus as i recall. they can take more abuse - up and down curbs etc… and the need for a road bike to travel distance isn’t really relevant across campus. that said, bikes are often stolen/damaged so anything valuable or precious should be avoided. </p>

<p>the schwinn, if in good shape as you describe sounds fine for now. ironically, kids may view it as desirable as old is cool nowadays!</p>

<p>Wisconsin is under the snow from November through March. Montain bike is a better choice. I would go to the Walmart and pick up one…</p>

<p>they have studded bike tires now too.</p>

<p>The grass might be covered with snow but the streets are cleared pretty quickly so you can ride most winter days if you care to. Lots of kids prefer mopeds and you see them all winter except right after a big snow. I would not have an expensive bike parked on campus much of the day. Go cheaper and maybe even used if possible.</p>

<p>Road bikes are extremely popular and you’ll see the retro frames all over campus and in downtown. Tends to be a staple amongst the bicyclist subculture and hipsters. Prefer the road tires myself, less drag and makes the hills much easier to handle. Unless your kid is amongst the few extreme winter bikers (he probably won’t be unless he really enjoys biking), don’t worry about him needing to have tires appropriate for the snow. He’ll probably do what most others do on those days–bundle up and hitch a ride on the 80.</p>

<p>The cheap bicycle that isn’t as likely to be stolen, or a financial loss if stolen, is the way to go (that’s what they told us at the parents’ part of SOAR). The “instead of a car” comment- a car is useless on campus. No places to park, especially near classes. With the hills he may decide it is easier to walk than pedal uphill and to be without the hassles of a bicycle. He’ll figure out what works best and the idea of a cheap bike is great even if he doesn’t use it much. Walking always is an option- not everyone can fit on the bus at all times, it isn’t always convenient/faster either.</p>

<p>Now is the time to explore all sorts of possibilites for campus life, but don’t try to do it all for your son- let him come up with his own ideas. Keep most of your ideas to yourself until he has a chance to come up with his version, then offer suggestions and let him take it from there. Always be sure to remember the student will have the final vote. Stuff sent with will remain unused if the student doesn’t want it or know s/he has it. Ask any parent of a sophomore- less stuff taken that year than the first.</p>

<p>My son is a runner- he thought about a bicycle one year but never followed through on the idea. He also learned many shortcuts (as I did- no rules about not cutting through a building on your way to another) as well as explored many areas off campus in his runs. Every student has a unique experience.</p>