Bicycles?

<p>I am full of questions today. Here is one more. I am looking for a cheap used bicycle. </p>

<p>What is the best type of bike (not brand, but style) to have for the UW campus?</p>

<p>Are there any area stores that you guys recommend checking out? (During SOAR I checked to the one of state street. They had no used bikes, and were out of my price range.)</p>

<p>Thanks again for all the help!</p>

<p>For riding in town something a bit rugged would be best. There always are potholes and road construction. As there are no big hills you don’t need a super light bike.</p>

<p>I haven’t tried this method, but you could always check out Craigs list once you arrive at school for cheap bikes. I would bet that’s when lots of upper classmen sell off their bikes. Unfortunately a lot might be sold during the lease layover August 14th-16th, but I’d be willing to bet there will still be some once you get to school.</p>

<p>You could also just do some research in your local area stores/craigs list and buy one then just hitch it to your car. (Assuming you’re driving)</p>

<p>Yeah, no need to run out and buy a Trek. If it moves, you’ll be just fine :)</p>

<p>Maybe this isn’t relevant, but just so you know Madison is a VERY scooter friendly town. There’s parking for mopeds in every major academic building–it’s arguably easier to get around in a moped than a bike. </p>

<p>So if you’re looking for transportation rather than fitness, mopeds are selling on Madison’s craigslist every day. You can find a Honda Spree for $300-$400…All Honda, Yamaha, and Piaggio mopeds are extremely reliable. I’ve had my Honda Spree for years; it’s had less issues than my Vespa GT200 that cost 15x more.</p>

<p>A cheap bicycle is recommended as it is less likely to be stolen and if it is you won’t be out as much money. Remember to get a GOOD lock, and use it. Mopeds are another issue- if you go that route be sure to learn how to use it- this means going the speed limit, not 10 miles under in the left lane on Campus Drive like some clueless student did one August. Remember to follow the laws…</p>

<p>I just thought I’d add that for students who go the moped route, vehicle insurance is now required under Wisconsin state law.</p>

<p>[New</a> law requires insurance for scooters](<a href=“http://lacrossetribune.com/news/local/state-and-regional/article_eb74a7fc-6ec9-11df-87ff-001cc4c03286.html]New”>http://lacrossetribune.com/news/local/state-and-regional/article_eb74a7fc-6ec9-11df-87ff-001cc4c03286.html)</p>

<p>^^ yes mom :D</p>

<p>And wear a helmet!!</p>

<p>And obey the traffic laws and don’t scare the adults.</p>

<p>Thanks a lot guys</p>