Bid list

<p>TxNewCollegeMom, do you know if they were dropped because they didn’t “maximize their options” or just didn’t get any options at all?</p>

<p>@cuttlefish: The girls in the pretty dresses were sorority upperclassmen…the new members wear shorts and the put on their new sorority T shirts when they get to their houses.</p>

<p>@Longhaul: Almost nobody goes through a full semester before initiation. Most new member periods are 6 to 8 weeks long. They guys do a lot of physical challenges. The girls’ emphasis is on education about the sorority and the university, and doing things together.</p>

<p>Longhaul – Girls have a six to eight week pledge experience but it is very different than the boys’ experience. As a general rule, you will never feel more loved or wanted than the semester when you are sorority pledge. They are showered with gifts from the actives in the sorority. There are also experiences designed to bring the pledge class together through shared positive experiences, education about the history and traditions of the sorority, and a great emphasis on scholarship. (There is also, of course, the social aspect – with boys – which is of great interest to many of the new members!)</p>

<p>feeno - here is a chart from prior years that shows how things panned out.</p>

<p>[Alabama</a> Rush and First Cuts: Predetermined? - Page 22 - GreekChat.com Forums](<a href=“Alabama Rush and First Cuts: Predetermined? - Page 22 - GreekChat.com Forums”>Alabama Rush and First Cuts: Predetermined? - Page 22 - GreekChat.com Forums)</p>

<p>some girls get dropped by every house.
some don’t like the options they have left, so they drop out voluntarily.
some decide that sorority life is just not for them.
etc.</p>

<p>i think more girls “quit” than are actually dropped by all houses.</p>

<p>this year there seems to have been around 90% placement, which is high.</p>

<p>I have some photos I can share when I get back home - of the crowd and the houses in general (street view). They were taken before it got too crowded and you were not yelled at for walking around (trouble wherever I go…)</p>

<p>Sweet Home Delta Gamma for my DD also! So glad they re-colonized at Bama. Any CC’s out there with Bid Day pics at the DG house, please message me. I would love to see them!</p>

<p>@WhitLo, my DD will be so happy to find out there is a fellow triathlete in the house! I’ll just have to warn her about not getting any tattoo ideas!</p>

<p>Class2017Mom, I have several pictures of the DG house on my phone. Will try to upload and get them posted. </p>

<p>Yea, DG CC Moms :)</p>

<p>Yesterday while waiting on the new pledges to make it to the house I was talking to an upperclass mom that was super sweet that was from TN!!! Also started talking to a new pledges grandmother and mother from Louisana that were very nice. While eating all of the families sitting with us were very friendly. Seems like a great group of girls from some great families. </p>

<p>Sounds like they are having a good time on their retreat.</p>

<p>It’s been fun looking at the bid list online and seeing the girls from our area in Tennessee. Some of them I didn’t even know were going to Alabama. I know they’ll have a blast!</p>

<p>Meanwhile, talked to DD this morning before she left for the Alpha Chi retreat. She was calling to say hello and to see what else she could take besides her usual meds to treat the horrible congestion and cough she’s been experiencing since yesterday afternoon. She sounded terrible. Thanks to CC I knew to pack cold meds and cough syrup since she wouldn’t be able to buy them herself. I sure hope she doesn’t spread anything!</p>

<p>TNandBamaMom, I woke up this morning in Bham with horrible congestion (with my asthma and acid reflux it is more in my throat than nose). The high temp in Bham yesterday was 70 with overcast and rain late. Rain this morning as well. Yesterday in Tuscaloosa it was in the 80’s, overcast and humid. With the up and down weather it can cause all of that. Glad you had all of than handy for her so she can enjoy her retreat!</p>

<p>there were some bid day and DG photos in the Crimson White
[The</a> Crimson White | Bid Day 2013 [PHOTOS]](<a href=“Announcements for 7/22/2010 - The Crimson White”>Announcements for 7/22/2010 - The Crimson White)</p>

<p>TNCM - Couple the fluctuation in the weather patterns with the fact that the girls are exhausted, run down, and likely not eating as well they do at home it’s no wonder that she and others are feeling cruddy. I know she’s taking her asthma and allergy meds, but I also sent vitamins that I don’t think she’s taking. They aren’t a cure-all, but they’d help at least a little bit if she’d pop one every now and then, if not every day.</p>

<p>I hope she and all the other girls on retreat are having a great time. I went to Bid Day with two moms from our area and we had so much fun together that I know we’ll do it again soon to see our girls. It was sort of our own mini retreat. Good times!</p>

<p>This thread has been so much fun to read! Congratulations to all the new members and their families, especially those that pledged Delta Gamma and Alpha Chi Omega. I know the alumnae members of DG are thrilled with all the new girls and the way the chapter has progressed in such as short time. My local rec girl pledged DG and is thrilled. So am I!!
My daughter is a senior AXO, and their are several AXO moms on CC, maybe we can meet at parent’s weekend in the spring.
I’m so happy for those that found their letters, and hope those that didn’t will try COB. House total keeps increasing, which means several chapters may COB in the spring.</p>

<p>Congratulations to all the girls and their families! My DD rushed this year as an UC and I am happy to report she got her #1 choice after pref – AXO!! She is one very happy young lady! Many thanks to Aphimommy for her advice, support, and endless encouragement throughout this process. DD had a bit of a rocky road delicately juggling some commitments that she truly hoped she could manage and without Aphimommy’s support and guidance this would not have been the wonderful, positive and rewarding experience that it ended up being. Many, many thanks!!</p>

<p>It has been so much fun meeting all these wonderful girls and mommas and watching as one by one they each found their home. It has been a pleasure to work with each and every one of you! Now the real fun begins…classes …WHAT??? Y’all thought I meant Swaps…LOL!</p>

<p>I thought you meant the bill for all of this fun.</p>

<p>After a grueling drive home, alone, from Tuscaloosa today, I am finally web-connected and Proud to announce that My only-child DD FINALLY HAS SISTERS!!! GAMMA PHI BETA sisters!!! </p>

<p>Their Retreat was awesome and she fell in LOVE!!!</p>

<p>I am so exhausted and thrilled; I can’t express my deep sense of gratitude for everything this university experience has brought us.</p>

<p>Roll Tide, Forever Roll.</p>

<p>@TXArchitect: Go GPhi! My DD pledged last year and has really enjoyed her new sisters on campus. Fun group of girls from all over the country. </p>

<p>Please PM if you have any questions or if I can help. Roll Tide!!</p>

<p>No…bills don’t come for another couple of weeks at least. What you have to look forward to is the phone call this week where your DD tells you that she has a Swap and its called (Anything but clothes, Victoria’s Secret Models, Down on the Farm, Doctors and Nurses…you take your pic) and she needs to go buy…xyz :). That’s when DD cut up her CB pillow cases and made a dress that I am pretty sure barely covered her “uh huh” …but she had a great time and met “the boy” which will hopefully be our son-in-law in 2015 (if we can get the boy to take the ring he has and get 'r done)…apparently its this semester but he won’t share when. Driving this momma crazy!!</p>

<p>Congrats to all the girls that successfully made it through rush. I hope this thread, if nothing else, puts to rest the myth of sorority bids not given to OOS students. As far as I can tell several houses are represented, either directly or indirectly, on CC alone that are OOS. </p>

<p>Houses represented on CC (by OOS parent or student):
PHI MU
ADPi
ALPHA GAMMA DELTA
DELTA GAMMA
ALPHA CHI OMEGA
GAMMA PHI BETA
ALPHA PHI
KAPPA</p>

<p>Other OOS bids 2013 (that I personally know of):
PI PHI
AOPi
ZETA</p>

<p>ROLL TIDE!</p>

<p>i think the “can an OOS girl get a bid at bama” question is really a non-issue now.</p>