Bids to be offered

<p>Hopefully they will accept and this brings real change. And next years recruitment builds on this.</p>

<p>TFM is not a reliable news source.
Quite the opposite!</p>

<p>So, will other girls who were released be getting bids as well? </p>

<p>Will all sororities COB up to the new cap number???</p>

<p>TXA, I wondered about the other girls as well. It will be interesting to see what happens.</p>

<p>CW is on the story this morning. There is more detail here than previously released.</p>

<p>[The</a> Crimson White | Sororities reopen bidding process](<a href=“Announcements for 7/22/2010 - The Crimson White”>Announcements for 7/22/2010 - The Crimson White)</p>

<p>So based on the Crimson White article it sounds like total has been raised to a number which would allow all sororities to participate in continuous open bidding if they desired. </p>

<p>However, the fact that all chapters could theoretically COB doesn’t necessarily mean that all chapters will participate in continuous open bidding. If you look at the stats from last year, for instance, several of the most desired chapters were also among the smaller chapters, meaning that they should have qualified to participate in COB, yet they didn’t participate in COB.</p>

<p>So is this a real change that will benefit a large number of the young women who were released from recruitment, or a face saving measure designed to allow chapters that don’t traditionally participate in COB to offer bids to the young women who were so egregiously denied a bid based on race? Only time will tell. I hope for the sake of the women who were released from recruitment – many of whom had truly outstanding qualifications – that it is the former.</p>

<p>Great news for Bama … and congrats to the current students who basically forced this to occur!</p>

<p>Hopefully, Bama, and virtually every other school, will see lots more progress year over year moving forward.</p>

<p>(PS - thank TCNM for posting the first link)</p>

<p>paying4college, I believe this will be a game changer going forward. In reality, COB is really the only way to go to resolve the issue this year. The only other alternative would have been to pull ALL bids and start all over again. That would have been a nightmare! To even think of the hornets nests that could have created and stirred up, yikes! How many girls would even consider going thru rush all over again. Then the fact that all new pledges have already had to make at least 1 payment to their house. It would have been a nightmare. COB really made the most sense for this year to get things changed and to show that next year the entire rush procedure will be different. I am betting that they are still sorting thru how to handle rush when it comes to the alums involvement for next year. </p>

<p>Thanks all ;)</p>

<p>Can someone explain how many more girls we’re talking about. Are we talking 20 girls or 200 girls? In other words, what are the current sizes of some of the pledge classes?</p>

<p>It depends on how many girls are in the chapter now. Could be just a couple or could be 60. For Sigma Delta Tau, which doesn’t participate in recruitment and is housed away from sorority row, it could be 300.</p>

<p>Youdon’tsay - The current New Member Class sizes range from 107 at Kappa Delta to 150 for Gamma Phi Beta. Sigma Delta Tau’s numbers were not reported because they did not participate in formal recruitment this year. At least those were the numbers issued with the Bid Lists published by Greek Life. However, it looks like the new number for COB is for total members in each house. Someone please correct me if I have that wrong.</p>

<p>How long will this COB period last?</p>

<p>More information on each chapter can be found on the website linked here:</p>

<p>[2013</a> Chapter Profiles](<a href=“http://www.uapanhellenic.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11&Itemid=4]2013”>http://www.uapanhellenic.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11&Itemid=4)</p>

<p>I get the impression COB will continue throughout the year until such time the chapter may or may not reach the upper limit (360).</p>

<p>The article stated that COB would remain open for the school year.</p>

<p>COB will last all school year. From the CW Article:</p>

<p>“All chapters are allowed, Andreen said, to extend bids or offers to unaffiliated women up to the designated Panhellenic total number. They are allowed to extend these bids throughout the regular school year.”</p>

<p>And yes, the 360 number is the total number of members in each house, so it is irregardless of the size of this year’s pledge class. 360 is supposed to be the size of the largest chapter on campus. So in theory, one chapter will not be open to COB. The others will be able (but not required) to offer bids to as many girls as would bring their Total Chapter Membership up to 360. So it will vary from house to house.</p>

<p>COB will be open to all women on campus, not just those who participated in rush and were not offered a bids.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Source: [The</a> Crimson White | Sororities reopen bidding process](<a href=“Announcements for 7/22/2010 – The Crimson White”>Announcements for 7/22/2010 – The Crimson White)</p>

<p>Mandated. You go, Dr. Bonner! Roll Tide.</p>

<p>Now? But you can’t wear Lilly after Labor Day!!! ;-)</p>

<p>Thanks for the explanation. I assumed all the houses were about the same size.</p>

<p>To give you an idea on Chapter sizes, here is the Recruitment Stats for 2002-2012. The second page lists the total chapter sizes in Fall 2012. </p>

<p><a href=“Fraternity and Sorority Life”>Fraternity and Sorority Life;

<p>I haven’t been able to find any data on 2013 numbers. But given that last year’s chapter sizes ranged from 282-321 and this years pledge classes are about 15% larger than last year’s, I’d take an educated guess that this years chapter sizes are around 338-360.</p>

<p>So some chapters could offer maybe 20 bids, and others only 1 or 2.</p>

<p>Let’s just hope that the chapters use this mandated COB as an opportunity to give bids to increase their chapter’s diversity and don’t use it to just give additional bids to, how shall I say it, non-diverse girls.</p>