Big 10 for Business

Hello! I’ve noticed lots of the same names popping up on various big 10 early action threads and thought this might be a nice way for all of us to connect. And I think it will also help future years that are evaulating whether a school is a match, as there is a wide range of selectivity within the Big 10. If you are like our family … you have noticed a lot of similarities among the Big 10 undergrad business programs, as well as some differences. I am super interested to see which sets of schools everyone applied to!

Please note that I could only add 10 tags, so I did not mean to slight Nebraska, Northwestern, Maryland and Rutgers, which are also Big 10 schools. I simply ran out of room.

Please post your state of residence, major, stats if you feel comfortable, to which school(s) you applied (feel free to add non-Big 10), and applications status. I’m hoping that once decisions start coming in we can use this thread to discuss and weigh the various options. Good luck to all!

I’ll get started:

S24
Illinois resident
Finance
3.5 UW/4.2 W
1380 (single sitting)
UIUC (EA)
UW-Madison (EA)
Indiana University (EA)
Michigan State (EA) (admitted)
UMD (EA)
May add a couple east coast private schools for RD.

1 Like

I was surprised that Direct Admit from Michigan St does not come out until mid Feb and as late as April.

The direct admit program for Broad at MSU was new for last year (high school class of 23). They ran a small pilot the year before. Previously, one could only apply into business after completing certain prerequisites on campus. This is still the path at many schools, such as Smeal at Penn State. I am glad they started offering a direct admit path at MSU, as S24 is only looking at direct admit schools. But that timing is tough … he will (hopefully*) have heard from every other school before he hears about Broad direct admit. So it’s hard for him to get too pumped about MSU right now.

*I’m hoping these schools don’t defer huge numbers to regular decision (and then waitlist). I don’t know quite how all that works for direct admit though. I’m guessing most business spots fill up in EA. Does a deferral mean no direct admit?

I agree that MSU timing is tough as kids will start to lock in mentally to other early action admissions. The 2nd round being in early April really does not make sense. I appreciate Indiana’s transparency related to qualifications for DA.

1 Like

And I wonder what the yield is for MSU Direct Admits.

S2024
NC Resident
Test Optional Only
Finance/Marketing
Pitt (Accepted, DA to B School)
Michigan State (Accepted, Presidential Scholarship, waiting on DA decision)
Indiana (Accepted, but submitting Kelley ReviewRequest for DA, test optional, but this will be a huge reach)
Wisconsin-Madison - this is the big dream
Kentucky - Accepted, pre-business
Auburn - Deferred
USC (South Carolina)
TCU
Elon
3.7 UW, 4.0 Weighted
NO tests
Strong Essay - unique story

1 Like