Big List of MT Colleges: By State

<p>Thanks for your efforts, EBTheater girl, but it would be best for anyone looking to go back to post #2 on this thread which is continually updated and monitored by CC staff. EBTheatergirl’s list is missing a number of schools at first glance (like southern Oregon University and University of North Dakota) but may be a good start for some. Just make sure you check the comprehensive list on Post #2.</p>

<p>^^^ Unfortunately, the list in Post #2 has not been updated in more than 6 months and is missing at least 6 schools, as noted in previous posts:</p>

<p>Minnesota State Mankato (BFA)
Southeast Missouri State (BFA)
University of Montevallo (BFA)
Elmherst (BA)
Indiana University of Penn (BA)
University of Wisconsin/La Crosse (BA)</p>

<p>and Southwest Missouri State was renamed Missouri State several years ago (2005)!</p>

<p>Another program that is not included on Post #2’s list is Sweet Briar College in Virginia offering a BA in Musical Theatre.</p>

<p>Another change I just discovered:</p>

<p>University of Mississippi (Ole Miss) BFA - MT now requires an audition at the end of freshman year. This is new.</p>

<p>[Ole</a> Miss Theatre](<a href=“http://theatre.olemiss.edu/bfamusicaltheatre.html]Ole”>Theatre & Film at The University of Mississippi)</p>

<p>@ebtheatregirl: here are schools from the “Big List” in Post #2 that I think are not on your list:</p>

<p>ARKANSAS - Ouachita Baptist University (BM)</p>

<p>CALIFORNIA - Santa Clara University (BA in Music w/ MT Minor)
CALIFORNIA - University of Southern California (BFA in Acting, Minor in MT)</p>

<p>CONNECTICUT - Hartford Conservatory (3-year diploma)</p>

<p>FLORIDA - Rollins College (BA Theatre w/ MT concentration)</p>

<p>GEORGIA - Young Harris College (AFA-Associate of Fine Arts)</p>

<p>INDIANA - Ball State University (BFA)
INDIANA - Vincennes University (AS, 2 year degree)</p>

<p>KANSAS - Friends University (BA)</p>

<p>MASSACHUSETTS - Brandeis University (BA in Theatre Arts w/ MT Track)
MASSACHUSETTS - Dean College (AA, 2-year program)
MASSACHUSETTS - Northeastern University (BM with MT minor)</p>

<p>MISSISSIPPI - University of Southern Mississippi (BFA in Theatre with MT “Professional Training” option)</p>

<p>MISSOURI - University of Missouri, Kansas City (BA Music with Theatre concentration)</p>

<p>NEBRASKA - University of Nebraska (Minor)
NEBRASKA - University of Nebraska at Kearney (BFA through Music department)</p>

<p>NEW YORK - American Musical and Dramatic Academy (2 year program, may lead to BA or BFA with the New School University)
NEW YORK - CAP21 Professional Musical Theater Training Program (2 year Certificate in MT)
NEW YORK - Circle in the Square Theatre School (2 year program)
NEW YORK - Hofstra University (BFA in Theater Performance, MT Minor - audition after 2 years)
NEW YORK - Manhattanville College (BA Music w/concentration in MT)
NEW YORK - Marymount Manhattan (Minor to accompany degree in Theatre or Dance)
NEW YORK - Nazareth College (BA)
NEW YORK - New York University: Steinhardt School of Education (BM)
NEW YORK - Wagner College (BA)</p>

<p>NORTH DAKOTA - University of North Dakota (BFA)</p>

<p>OHIO - Marietta College (BFA)
OHIO - University of Akron (BA)</p>

<p>OREGON - Southern Oregon University (BFA Theater, Minor in MT)</p>

<p>PENNSYLVANIA - Seton Hill University (BA Theatre w/ MT emphasis)
PENNSYLVANIA - Susquehanna University (BA Theatre w/ MT emphasis)</p>

<p>TENNESSEE - University of Memphis (BFA in Theater Performance w/ an emphasis on MT)</p>

<p>TEXAS - KD Studio (2 year program)
TEXAS - Southwestern University (BFA Theater w/ MT emphasis) (audition for scholarships)
TEXAS - University of Texas at Arlington (BM)</p>

<p>UTAH - University of Utah (BFA)</p>

<p>WASHINGTON - University of Puget Sound (BA Theatre)</p>

<p>ebtheatregirl in Post #140 found lots of schools that are apparently NOT included in the “Big List” in Post #2 and perhaps should be, including:</p>

<p>California - AMDA (BFA)
California - California Lutheran University (BA w/MT emphasis)
California - California State University of East Bay (BA w/MT option)
California - California State University of San Bernadino (BA w/MT emphasis)
California - Vanguard University of Southern California (BA w/MT Concentration)
Colorado - Mesa State College (BA w/MT Concentration)
Georgia - Kennesaw State University (BA w/Concentration in MT)
Illinois - Elmhurst College (BA MT) *
Illinois - Loyola University of Chicago (MT Minor)
Indiana - University of Indianapolis (BA w/Music-Theatre Combination)
Kansas - Southwestern College (BA w/MT Emphasis)
Kentucky - Asbury Unversity (BA w/MT Major)
Maryland - Bowie State University (BS w/MT Concentration)
Massachusetts - Emmanuel College (MT Minor)
Michigan - Siena Heights University (BA Theatre/Musical Theatre)
Minnesota - Bethel University (BA w/MT Track)
Minnesota - Minnesota State University (Mankato) (BFA) *
Mississippi - William Carey University (BA w/MT emphasis)
Missouri - College of the Ozarks (BA w/MT Emphasis)
Missouri - Southeast Missouri State University (BFA) *
Missouri - William Woods University (BA w/MT Concentration)</p>

<ul>
<li>these schools have been previously noted as missing from the “Big List.”</li>
</ul>

<p>I only had time to look through her list for States A-M. When I get time I will look at States N-Z.</p>

<p>She listed the following schools which are not in the “Big List” but I could not find a specific MT program at any of them in a quick search of their web pages:</p>

<p>California - Pepperdine University (BA Combined Music and Theatre) (?)
Florida - Barry University (?)
Georgia - Dalton State College (?)
Illinois - Southern Illinois University (Edwardsville) (?)
Iowa - Clarke University (?)
Iowa - Iowa State University (?)
Kansas - Kansas State University (?)
Massachusetts - Suffolk University (?)
Massachusetts - Wheelock College (?)
Michigan - Cornerstone University (?)
Michigan - Olivet College (?)</p>

<p>Just another item to fix in the Big List, per The Hartford Conservatory’s website, “The Diploma School concluded operations as of August 31, 2011.”</p>

<p>[::</a> The Hartford Conservatory ::](<a href=“http://www.hartfordconservatory.org/diploma_school/diploma_school.html]::”>http://www.hartfordconservatory.org/diploma_school/diploma_school.html)</p>

<p>PDF of letter here: <a href=“http://www.hartfordconservatory.org/Hartford_Conservatory_September_2010.pdf[/url]”>http://www.hartfordconservatory.org/Hartford_Conservatory_September_2010.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Yeah I know I probably missed some as it is not entirely comprehensive. Some are not listed as I had not searched for Associate degree programs or MT as a minor. I was only listing schools as ones with a major or concentration within a major as MT. I already attend a school for BFA MT and this was a list I had compiled in June so it may not be entirely accurate based on school changes in the last few months. Also for some where it may be unclear on the official website where the major is, often some schools vary on the department where the program is housed. It can be under music, theatre, or duel degrees so it may take some looking around. Best of luck in your searches! :)</p>

<p>If you look back at CollegeMom’s posts (she is the moderator for this blog) you will see her mention of the big List NOT including schools that have BA degrees in MT as well as those with minors, as there are now just WAY too many. I can certainly understand that! Perhaps someone can start a separate thread that can also be posted at the top (check with CollegeMom) with the BFA list that can be of BA/MT minor schools. I know that would be a help to everyone!</p>

<p>@Chritie2, the Big List does include the following schools with BA and MT concentration programs, which makes it confusing if the implication is that this list is in any way comprehensive. The programs noted in the posts since June of last year, which have not been added, seem to be equivalent to any of these programs which are on the list:</p>

<p>ALABAMA</p>

<p>Birmingham-Southern College (BA, audition at the end of sophomore year)
Samford University (BA)
University of Alabama (BA)</p>

<p>CALIFORNIA</p>

<p>~California State University, Chico (BA)
~California State University - Northridge (BA Theatre, MT Minor)
~Santa Clara University (BA in Music w/ MT Minor)
+University of California - Los Angeles (BA) (12-15)</p>

<p>COLORADO</p>

<p>University of Northern Colorado (BA)</p>

<p>CONNECTICUT</p>

<p>~Western Connecticut State University (BA)</p>

<p>DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA</p>

<p>American University (BA)</p>

<p>FLORIDA</p>

<p>Palm Beach Atlantic University (BA)
Rollins College (BA Theatre w/ MT concentration)
University of Tampa (BA)</p>

<p>ILLINOIS</p>

<p>Illinois State University (BA)
North Central College (BA) (audition for scholarships)
+Northwestern University (BA Theater or BM Music, MT certificate, audition at the end of first year)</p>

<p>KANSAS</p>

<p>~Friends University (BA)</p>

<p>LOUISIANA</p>

<p>~Northwestern State University (BS in Theatre with MT Performance concentration) </p>

<p>MASSACHUSETTS</p>

<p>~Brandeis University (BA in Theatre Arts w/ MT Track)
Northeastern University (BM with MT minor)</p>

<p>MICHIGAN</p>

<p>Adrian College (BA)</p>

<p>MISSOURI</p>

<p>University of Missouri, Kansas City (BA Music with Theatre concentration)</p>

<p>NEBRASKA</p>

<p>~University of Nebraska (Minor)</p>

<p>NEVADA</p>

<p>~University of Nevada, Las Vegas (BA)</p>

<p>NEW HAMPSHIRE</p>

<p>Plymouth State University (BA)
~University of New Hampshire (BA and Minor)</p>

<p>NEW YORK</p>

<p>Manhattanville College (BA Music w/concentration in MT)
Marymount Manhattan (Minor to accompany degree in Theatre or Dance)
Nazareth College (BA)
Russell Sage College with NYSTI (BS)
SUNY, Cortland (BA, and Minor)
SUNY, Geneseo (BA)
Wagner College (BA) (approximately 30)</p>

<p>NORTH CAROLINA</p>

<p>Meredith College (BA)</p>

<p>OHIO</p>

<p>Ashland University (BA Theatre w/ MT concentration)
Bowling Green State University (BA Communications Specializing in MT)
Heidelberg University (BA/BS Theatre with Music Theatre Emphasis)
~University of Akron (BA)</p>

<p>OKLAHOMA</p>

<p>~University of Tulsa (BA and Minor)</p>

<p>PENNSYLVANIA</p>

<p>~DeSales University (BA) (audition for scholarships)
Marywood University (BA)
~Muhlenberg College (BA Theater - Performance; BA Music - Performance, BA Dance…can double major…optional audition)
Seton Hill University (BA Theatre w/ MT emphasis)
Susquehanna University (BA Theatre w/ MT emphasis)
Temple University (BA Theater w/MT emphasis/concentration)
West Chester University (BA Theatre w/ MT emphasis)
Wilkes University (BA)</p>

<p>RHODE ISLAND</p>

<p>Rhode Island College (BA Theatre w/ MT concentration)</p>

<p>SOUTH DAKOTA</p>

<p>University of South Dakota (BFA)</p>

<p>TEXAS</p>

<p>~St. Edward’s University (BA w/ MT concentration) (audition for scholarships)
~Southwestern University (BFA Theater w/ MT emphasis) (audition for scholarships)
West Texas A&M (BA)</p>

<p>UTAH</p>

<p>Weber State University (BA or BS)</p>

<p>VERMONT</p>

<p>~Johnson State College (BA)</p>

<p>VIRGINIA</p>

<p>~Christopher Newport University (BA Theater w/MT Track)
Emory and Henry College (BA MT Pre-Professional Track)
James Madison University (BA and BM)</p>

<p>WASHINGTON</p>

<p>University of Puget Sound (BA Theatre)</p>

<p>WEST VIRGINIA</p>

<p>~West Virginia Wesleyan College (BA and Minor)</p>

<p>WISCONSIN</p>

<p>~Carthage College (BA in Music)
University of Wisconsin - Green Bay (BA)</p>

<p>Also, CollegeMom did not say that she didn’t want to list BA programs, she said:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I think the schools noted in the posts above may qualify to be on the list since they seem to have dedicated MT programs, at least to the same extent as some or most of the programs that are on the Big List noted above.</p>

<p>More analysis of the list from ebtheatregirl’s post (#140)…</p>

<p>The following schools were on ebtheatregirl’s list and appear to be possible candidates for the “Big List”:</p>

<p>Nebraska - Creighton University (BFA MT)
New Jersey - Fairleigh Dickinson University (Madison/Florham) (BA w/MT Concentration)
New Jersey - New Jersey City University (BA Music in MT)
New York - Five Towns College (BM w/MT Concentration)
New York - Oswego (SUNY) (BA w/MT Track)
North Carolina - Peace College (BFA MT)
Ohio - Capital University (BM VP w/MT Emphasis)
Ohio - University of Findlay (BA MT Major)
Oklahoma - Northern Oklahoma College (AA MT)
Oklahoma - Southeastern Oklahoma State University (BA w/MT Option)
Oregon - Western Oregon University (BM Contemporary Music w/MT Emphasis)
Pennsylvania - Indiana University of Pennsylvania (BA - Music Theatre Track in Interdiscplinary Fine Arts) *
South - Carolina Limestone College (BA w/MT Major)
Tennessee - Bethel University (BA w/MT Track)
Tennessee - Bryan College (BA Music [or BM?] w/MT Option)
Tennessee - Lipscomb University (BFA MT)
Texas - Hardin -Simmons University (BFA MT Emphasis)
Texas - Lon Morris College (AFA MT)
Virginia - Ferrum College (BFA MT Option)
Virginia - Virginia Intermont College (BFA MT Major)
Wisconsin - Edgewood College (BA MT Major)
Wisconsin - University of Wisconsin La Crosse (BA MT Major)
Wisconsin - University of Wisconsin Milwaukee (Inter-Arts BFA MT)</p>

<ul>
<li>noted in a previous post</li>
</ul>

<p>The following schools were on the list in Post #140 but may not have “enough” of an MT program to “qualify” for the “Big List”:</p>

<p>Pennsylvania - Saint Joseph’s University (BA Theatre w/MT Track [5 courses]) ?
Rhode Island - University of Rhode Island (BFA MT Program in Acting w/Minor in VP)?
Tennessee - Cumberland University (BFA w/MT Emphasis)?</p>

<p>The following schools were on the list in Post #140 but it was difficult to determine from a quick look at their websites what their MT program consisted of:</p>

<p>Nebraska - York College Nebraska ?
New Jersey - Rutgers University (Camden) ?
Ohio - Oberlin College ?
Pennsylvania - Eastern University ?
Pennsylvania - Lock Haven University of Pennsylvania ?</p>

<p>Hats off to ebtheatregirl for coming up with lots of possible candidates for the big list, including several BFA MT programs!</p>

<p>North Dakota State offers a BFA in Theatre with an MT Track.</p>

<p>[Academic</a> Programs - North Dakota State University Theatre](<a href=“http://www.ndsu.edu/finearts/theatre/programs/index.html]Academic”>http://www.ndsu.edu/finearts/theatre/programs/index.html)</p>

<p>I agree with EmsDad and post #150.</p>

<p>My D has currently had 3 auditions. Listening to the question and answer sessions, it appears that the total number of young women that these three schools are looking for is around 25-30. Prior to the start of January auditions, these three schools have held a total of 6 auditions. During my D’s three auditions there were around 75 young women who auditioned. If I add the same approximate number of young women auditioning at the other 3 of 6 fall auditions for these schools – that would be around 150 young women who are auditioning for the 25-30 slots. That doesn’t even count the additional young women who will be auditioning in the Jan.-Mar. auditions. (Also – there were only 2 other young ladies that we saw at more than one of the three auditions.) </p>

<p>I am not trying to use the “Freakonomics” approach here – math is not my strong suit, but the bottom line is that come the end of March, there are going to be a number of young women who will have not gotten into an auditioned program (maybe some guys as well). It is painful – but the truth. There are simply more young women who want to study Musical Theatre than there are spots in auditioned musical theatre programs. I am not saying anything new for this site and that is why so many who post on this site stress having a balanced list of both auditioned and non-auditioned schools. But having options and accurate information is a big part of creating that balanced list.</p>

<p>It seems to me that it would make sense for this site to open up the “Big List” once a year (for a short period of time) to make changes/corrections (such as Coastal Carolina going from a BA to a BFA, programs going from non-auditioned to auditioned, and adding new programs (especially non-auditioned BA’s – since they are more difficult for students to become aware of.) </p>

<p>I think it might also make sense to mark the programs that are using a pre-screen since this has become a more important part of the process.</p>

<p>People on the site always council new members to read the Big List (especially post 2) when they are beginning their musical theatre search. My family spent a great deal of time researching that list in my D’s freshman year. I really love that it is put state by state. While we started looking at the big picture, we pretty quickly decided what region of the U.S. would work best for us. We never said – oh my goodness – there are too many schools on this list to research. We welcomed all the information about the many musical theatre programs. I think the more options on the list the better for students.</p>

<p>Quick note: “Ivy Leagues” of Musical Theatre are considered to be…</p>

<p>Carnegie Mellon University
University of Michigan
Cincinnati Conservatory
Boston Conservatory
Texas State University.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I really don’t think we want to go there. I think there would be a LOT of debate if we tried to determine that. Just as an example, I can’t possibly imagine that TX State, a relatively new program, would be considered to be more desireable/selective than NYU, a very well-respected program that’s been around forever! And there are others that I KNOW people would argue should be on the “ivy” list if there were such a thing!</p>

<p>@brdwaybound: There are other (old) threads on this forum where this topic was tossed around ad-infinitum. This thread is supposed to be restricted to adding or making corrections to the “Big List.”</p>

<p>Long Island University was at NYC Unifieds, they offer a BFA in Musical Theater, don’t know anything about the program but I didn’t see it on the list. It is close to NYC.</p>

<p>@fnpmom: Long Island U - C. W. Post is listed in Post #2 as having a BFA in MT.</p>

<p>My humble apology.</p>

<p>Coastal Carolina is now a BFA program</p>