Bikes

<p>I heard some of the campuses are pretty big, and I was wondering if it’s hard to go across campus to the classes.</p>

<p>I don’t know how to ride a bike (and I’m sure I’m not the only one :() and I don’t plan on learning.</p>

<p>Will I be at a big disadvantage if I walk everywhere? How important is it?</p>

<p>You won't be at disadvantage, but having and riding a bike is an advantage. Even though there are strict biking restrictions on UC Irvine and designed for walking (core campus is laid out on a circle), I cannot ever get used to walking. I'm either biking or running (ROTC) all the time.</p>

<p>Tons of students walk around in their college campuses! Though, biking is huge at UC Davis. I'd say if you're going to own a bike, be careful with it haha, pretty easy to get those stolen.</p>

<p>How big is biking at the other UCs? Like SD, LA, Cal, and Irvine?</p>

<p>Hm every time I've been up to Berkeley, it seems like the majority of students walk, but then again I've only been to the Telegraph Ave. area which is narrow and busier. LA seems to me like most walk. SD I've only been to for like a day, so I can't really say but I saw quite a few bikers. I'd just say wait until you know which college you're committing to, and then decide if you want a bike there or not. Not saying you specifically, but I don't think biking should be a too big a factor in deciding which school to go to lol. :]</p>

<p>Yeah, I'm still waiting on Cal and LA :P</p>

<p>Hopefully it won't be too much of a problem getting around campus.</p>

<p>Here's the info from the UCs I've been to:</p>

<p>UCSB-pretty much everyone here has a bike
UCLA-few have bikes
UCB-few to none have bikes
UCSD-few to none have bikes--people aren't allowed to ride bikes/skateboards/etc. but no one pays attention to that rule and if you do have a bike or skateboard it's no biggie---no campus cops care about that rule</p>

<p>Don't be afraid to have training wheels! My brother met a girl because she shamelessly had on training wheels at UCD and he and his friends befriended her to teach her how to ride a bike w/o them :].</p>

<p>Don't be afraid to have training wheels! My brother met a girl because she shamelessly had on training wheels at UCD and he and his friends befriended her to teach her how to ride a bike w/o them :].</p>

<p>^^Cutest thing ever.</p>

<p>Haha, wow. I'd never do that. I had training wheels when I was 5, but I never learned how to ride without them because I moved and threw away the bike.</p>

<p>@imgoing2college: I didn't apply to UCSB because I knew that a lot of people had bikes. Well, that and I already had enough colleges to apply to.</p>

<p>Yeah I'd say 90% of people who live on campus at UCSB have some cheap-o bike. They get stolen sometimes, but it's kinda just like a norm there. It's no biggie as long as you get just a cheap bike and a good lock.</p>

<p>Everyone bikes everywhere at Davis, so I'm told (by alumni).</p>

<p>I've been on a tour to Davis, and they have specially student-run biking centers where they'll help you with locks and fix your bike if it's broken or whatever. There are PILEEES of bike "parking lots", where there are loads of bikes just all stacked together. Freshmen aren't allowed to have parking spots in the school garage, so most don't bring their cars. A bike will be necessary for traveling around the city as well.</p>

<p>I don't plan on bringing a bike with me next year unless I go to Davis.</p>