Binge watched tv shows

Tomorrow is the last episode of The Americans. I’ve really loved this show even though I have to watch most episodes several times to figure out what is going on and, mostly, who everyone is. I don’t speak Russian so it’s hard to pay attention and read the subtitles. I’ve also started watching (or re-watching) with the closed captioning on, and I’m surprised at how much I miss.

I think because this is a planned ending, the writers and producers have been able to build to a big finish. I’m really looking forward to it.

I watched The Last Post (amazon I think) this past week. Pretty good!

^what’s it about?
Planning to watch Safe House.
Finished Unforgotten. First season pretty unsympathetic potential culprits, second season I really didn’t want any of them to be guilty!!

I love “The Americans” and I can’t wait to see how it ends!

A British Military post in Yemen in the 1960s. Story is about officers and their spouses as well as some history of region and its conflict with British being there.

@psychmomma, we enjoyed ‘Safe’, though it was disconcerting to see the actress from Selfridges in the role as the lead detective. And her hairstyle drove me nuts, I wanted to climb into the TV with a pair of scissors and lop off the sides.

We are randomly watching whatever Netflix suggests after we finish each series- true addictive behavior. We sort of enjoyed ‘The Frozen Dead’ (Glacé) even with the many plot holes. It’s worth watching to hear the haunting version of ‘Hurt’ in the opening credits. Now we’re watching Money Heist, in Spanish but poorly dubbed into English as an option. Cannot recommend but we’ll watch it to the end. Very hard to stay awake as they try to stretch the ridiculous plot to 2 seasons.

Started Peaky Blinders on Netflix this weekend. So far, so good!
If you liked David Tennant in Broad Church, you’ll love his creepy performance as a master manipulator in Secret Smile. Season 1 is on Amazon prime

We are finally watching Broadchurch and it’s really good. I wish there were more seasons.

I ended up with a free trial month on Hulu so first I got caught up to date on The Handmaid’s Tale. Season 2 is relatively less depressing and it’s all new content beyond the book. Then I started watching Empire because I’m a Taraji P. Henson fan. I can take or leave the music but the show is just so over the top nighttime soap classic fun. Good production values too with sets and costumes and guest stars ( although I don’t know most of them). Very much in the spirit of Dallas and Dynasty where you don’t care if the plots make sense as long as it takes you for a ride.

@veryapparent: thank you!

I’m waiting for Goliath season 2 to be released in the next month. We just binged through 11 22 63 - adapted from a Stephen King novel, though I believe it’s quite loose, and it’s not scary. It’s with James Franco and a surprising all star cast. He travels back to 1960 to try and stop the assassination of JFK. It’s on HULU.

I started Last Tango in Halifax last night due to this thread (I’d heard of it before, but kept forgetting about it). After slowly realizing it does not take place in Nova Scotia (!) I really enjoyed it and will add it to the Netflix series I’m watching this summer. I’m finishing the final (8th) season of the Australian show Offsping right now (highly recommended for parents of young adults) and about to watch the latest season of Grace and Frankie.

Any other recommendations? I don’t like violent shows and tend to gravitate toward quality family shows (RIP The Middle).

@Barbalot, it has been recommended previously, but far upthread - how about Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries available on Netflix? Another Australian show that my entire family has loved.

@twoinanddone Our current favorite shows are The Americans and Billions. For the past two seasons, I’ve read recaps and summaries on review sites, Vulture and TVFanatic. There are details I miss, scenes explained, so helpful! I think I just googled a show episode, then when I saw the summaries, I started reading them after every episode. IMDb.com used to have discussion boards but that ended last year.

Speaking of Billions, I adore Taylor. And the way the writers have rum with the character- every so often teasing more layers out if it.

@3sonsmom I was reading some of the recaps (unfortunately many were on NY Times and I don’t have a subscription). Some were really fun and had comments and contests about the wigs the spies wear, and how often the mail delivering robot would show up in the next episode.

Today, getting ready for the big finale, I’ve been watching the earlier episodes. Forgot A LOT. Also enjoying all the old references to the early '80s, like Tab, EST, the movies that were out at that time, etc.

I originally started watching The Americans as a Binge Watch.

@Barbalot

One of my favorite series, ever! Love the Proudman family. I haven’t yet watched seasons 7 or 8. I don’t want it to end!

It’s been years since I found a show I liked enough to binge watch. That changed last week, when I discovered Killing Eve. It’s like nothing else on TV. Some elements feel like Dexter, but there is more of British spy cat and mouse theme, and the lead characters are all female with interesting and unique personalities. The episodes often end on a cliffhanger.

@twoinanddone I read some of the same recaps about disguises, funny. EST was a crackup, I think one of my parents couple friends went in the 70s. And I love the mail robot because my 80s-90s insurance company job had one. It was programmed in the carpet and beeped when it stopped. We found The Americans when it was in the third season and rented from the library to catch up. Glad we heard about the show. A lot of popular shows we didn’t pick up Thrones, Max Men, Breaking Bad.

Got hooked on Longmire on Netflix. Interesting that for 3 yrs it was the highest rated show EVER on A&E, but had an undesirable demographic (we old fogies). Cancelled it, picked up by Netflix, who made 3 more seasons. Just started the final season, will be disappointed when it’s finished.

Beautiful scenery (filled in NM, story takes place in a fictional WY county), old school western sheriff, lots of issues with nearby Cheyenne reservation (puts a spotlight on many of the social issues that are problematic on reservations).