Binge watched tv shows

@jhs I loved the Bollywood Indian wedding scene in Sense8 - season one, episode 2. It’s on Netflix, you might take a peek.

Or look here :slight_smile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyLOprPsUcQ

@OHMomof2 I loved Sense8, too. And I’ve seen umpteen wedding scenes in Bollywood movies. The wedding scene in this one movie, Hum Aapke Hain Koun, however, went on for 15-20 minutes. It had detail I haven’t seen anywhere else, and it provided a better sense of how the big moments were sequenced. Not that it was so helpful in the end, or that it was so important that we know everything that was going to happen before it happened.

DH and I have become hooked on Shetland. At times it can be difficult to understand their heavy accents, but he scenery is breathtaking and the the 2 main characters have become dear to us.

Lol, didn’t I have to use subtitles with Shetland? Or doesn’t that one have them? If you like S, try Hinterland, set in Wales.

D1 spent time in a remote part of Shetland, where the sheep roam at will. Gorgeous.

@Kajon I love the series. You may want to check out the book series! And, yes @lookingforward loved Hinterland

Enjoying season 2 of Hinterland, now looking forward to Shetland–thanks @Kajon

@beerme, great idea!! I’m in my library system’s queue to borrow season 3 of Detectorists!! Agree with what you say about savoring episodes. We have the Christmas episode of season 2 left to watch and don’t want to watch it, as that would end what’s available!!

We just finished Hart of Dixie. Quirky, fun show. Grandmother approved. Loved the end. We also just finished The Sopranos last night. We’d seen the early seasons years ago, but had never finished it. Now I see what all the fuss was about over the ending. Last night my favorite current tv series, Nashville, ended. I enjoyed that show so much- especially the music. I must have downloaded half the songs over the six seasons. I especially enjoyed the very end. Next up, season one of The Handmaid’s Tale.

I just finished watching Detectorists thanks to the recommendations here. It was excellent! I saw that season 3 is on Acorn TV so I signed up for the free trial and watched the final 6 episodes, as well as a couple of bonus “behind the scenes” ones. You can cancel without penalty and you can watch all the episodes in a day (or two, if you have a life).

I learned that Diana Rigg and the actress who plays her daughter, Becky, in the show are actually mother and daughter in real life!

I’m halfway through The River – an thoroughly fascinating 6-episode British crime drama featuring Stellan Skarsgard in the role of an investigator with a tenuous grip on reality whose partner was murdered. (Needless to say, I appreciate the random Shakespeare references.)

If you enjoyed Hinterland and Shetland, you may like Hidden, a dark detective story set in North Wales and Keeping Faith a mystery set in South Wales. Both are beautiful locations. Both are bilingual but there is more Welsh in Hidden. The Welsh is always subtitled. Two very different series. they are BBC productions so you may be able to access them in the USA.

Re-watching the last season of “Better Call Saul” in anticipation of Season 4 beginning next week!

Thanks for the Detectorists recommendations. Such wonderful characters and dry humor. I just loved it in the second episode when “Simon and Garfunkel” appeared in the field. I also like the theme song a lot and see the singer/songwriter, Johnny Flynn, is a prolific actor as well, playing the younger Einstein on Genius last year, for instance.

The series finale of The Detectorsists is one of the top of all time.
The lovely theme song makes me wistful and hopeful…
Thanks for the review…I like to champion shows that don’t get its due…

I just finished the new season of Orange Is The New Black. It wasn’t nearly as good as previous seasons. Uzo Aduba was great, though. I guess there will be at least one more season – there are a lot of loose ends that need to be tied up.

@Barbalot , when the president of the detecting club showed a Simon and Garfunkel album cover to alert members regarding the interlopers, I nearly fell off my chair with laughter!!

I finished watching Americans last night. A bit dark, a bit intense. I am ready for a change now - any suggestions for a light hearted/family type show? Something like Friday night lights or Parenthood ?

I don’t know if G.L.O.W. qualifies as a lighthearted/family type show. It’s about televised women’s wrestling in the 1980s. The central characters include a pair of former-best-friend actresses who are estranged because one was having an affair with the other’s husband and a deeply misanthropic, self-destructive director. So there are a bunch of dark corners. But on the whole it’s pretty much fun and games, and very enjoyable. It’s part of the nascent Jenji Kohan (Orange is the New Black) empire, so of course there are numerous, highly diverse secondary characters each of whom gets her (mostly) or his moment in the spotlight.

We’re looking for something to watch. I probably should reread the last dozen pages here, but maybe the hive mind can narrow things down! By the way DH hates the Netflix interface too. I’m with JHS’s wife. I don’t know how it works!

So in the past we’ve alternated between nice comfy shows like Call the Midwife, and Miss Fischer’s Murder Mysteries and somewhat grittier shows like Jennifer Jones, Bosch, Game of Thrones.

We really liked The Same Sky, but DH especially is finding Babylon Berlin super-depressing. Then we watched some really depressing episodes of The Black Mirror. We’ve got Grace and Frankie going right now as the alternate, which is fun, but kind of repetitive. Ideally we’d like a mystery or cop show that has happy endings. (Not the Bosch and Jessica Jones are all fun and light, but that’s as dark as DH likes to go.) Any thoughts?

@mathmom have you tried Midsomer Murders? Endeavor or Inspector Lewis? They are set in Oxford. Grantchester is also enjoyable.

@mathmom @arisamp This week I finished Halt and Catch Fire. I absolutely loved the cast/writing/story, 80s dawn of computers. I will miss this show and said I haven’t fell so completely since Friday Night Lights. But the show isn’t in the category of lighthearted! Then again, tonight we are watching the season 1 finale of The Sinner, dark is an understatement!