Binge watched tv shows

Another vote for Atypical. It’s a very very very rosy view of autism disorders, but it’s entertaining, it has a little bite, and all the characters are well-developed and well-played.

I watched Sisters on Netflix over two nights recently. (The first – and so far only – season runs 6 hours total, which is a great length as far as I am concerned.) It was very engaging and entertaining, without putting a lot of demands on the viewer or overwhelming itself with its own ambition.

Not to be confused with about half a dozen other shows or movies called “Sisters,” it’s an Australian dramedy centered on a 30-year-old woman caring for her father, a distinguished, elderly fertility physician/researcher who is on his deathbed. In the first minutes of the show, he announces publicly that he replaced husbands’ (or other donors’) semen with his own in dozens of cases. He doesn’t apologize or explain, either for the fraud years ago or for the unexpected disclosure now. That of course sends his daughter’s life into turmoil, along with the lives of many other people who turn out to be (or who think they may be) the father’s biological children as well as their “other” parents. Although there are 100+ confirmed biological children, most of them male, the show winds up resolving around the relationships of the women among them, their parents, and a handful of men. It’s really a 20-something relationship drama with an outrageous McGuffin to get it started and to provide some absurd situations.

The central characters are interesting and some of the acting is first rate, especially by Maria Angelico as the main character and Barry Otto (the effete father in Strictly Ballroom) as her father. It’s a mixed bag with the rest, and with the script in general. It’s not going to win a lot of awards, but it’s fun to watch.

^also, watched sisters, and, for me the best thing was hearing the Aussie accent. I’m a enthused fan of “Offspring” and “Poh and Co”

I just didn’t bond with any of the “sisters”, each such a stereotype, it missed the mark for me.
But, those accents - I love

I’ve watched two episodes of Forever and I’m intrigued. It’s different for sure, but I kind of like the unexpectiveness of it.

I have heard a lot about Atypical -maybe I’ll tackle that in the winter. I only watch maybe an hour of tv a day so I can only stretch that so far!

I loved Merritt Wever in Nurse Jackie and she was great in Godless, too. So glad she won the Emmy!

Big fan of Merrit Wevor ! Winner tonight and now Jeff Daniels, too.
So glad I watched Godless.

I love Merritt Wever, too! Godless was really good- happy for Jeff Daniels, too. Can’t wait for the next season of Mrs. Maisel!

Tried Forever again. The last scene in the third episode redeemed the show for me. Will go ahead and finish
the eight episodes.
Like Red Oaks well enough.
I Miss Rita and Offspring!

There’s a Rita “remake” on Amazon Prime called “SAM”, it’s a French remake. I’ve not seen it but it may help if you miss Rita?

What did you think of the Emmys?
Felt The Americans or Stranger Things were cheated - Game of Thrones didn’t need an extra award and, in my opinion, didn’t deserve it. It was a lazy choice.
Very happy for Marvelous Miss Maisel, which you guys recommended and am so glad you did!

Okay - I’m about to steer this thread/conversation in another direction…

I just finished “The Staircase,” and I’m looking for other true-crime serials (or even true-crime documentaries.) Any suggestions? I’ve watched “The Keepers” and “Cropsey.”

And I didn’t watch the Emmys (watching “Better Call Saul” instead) - but I’m not hearing good things. I’m glad Matthew Rhys won for “The Americans,” though.

@scout59 , have you seen “Evil Genius” on Netflix? I don’t remember much about the actual case, but it’s about a collar-bomb heist that happened in 2003 in Pennsylvania. It was pretty bizarre, but quite an interesting (and sad) story.

@scout59 Have you seen Making a Murderer?

@Mom2jl and @alwaysamom - I haven’t seen either of those. They’re both on my list! I’m also considering “The Cheshire Murders” and “Who Took Johnny?” (the latter because I remember when Johnny Gosch disappeared.)

For those who may have watched Rita and Nurse Jackie, the Hjordis character on Rita reminds me very much of Merritt Weaver’s Zoe on Nurse Jackie. Thanks again to whomever recommended Rita first. My best binge of the summer. I only wish Netflix hadn’t taken away the Hjordis spinoff.

I love Matthew Rhys and it still blows my mind when he speaks as himself and not a character- his accent is so strong.

Love the suggestions on this thread! I started “Anne with an E” and am enjoying it very much.

For a light comedy “The Good Place” was much better than I expected and first 2 seasons are on Netflix.

Just binged watched the first three seasons of “Catastrophe” on Amazon Prime. I laughed and cried through it, I hope that they keep producing it.

Thanks to this thread, I started Offspring and am loving it! Great characters, interesting storylines and humor. Love the Proudmans :-*

I miss watching Offspring. I really became attached to the characters.

I’m a season in on The Fosters. I’m finding it interesting and will keep going.

We are also halfway through season 3 of Friday Night Lights (for the 4th time). I can’t believe there are still people who haven’t watched and fallen hard for this series.

Part 2 of Making a Murderer premieres on October 19. I live in Wisconsin, so the series is particularly interesting to me.

@psychmomma - That would be me! I was actually torn between starting Offspring or Friday Night Lights – Offspring won the coin toss. FNL is on deck though.