Binge watched tv shows

I finished Russian Doll last week. I really like this show!

Iā€™m watching The Goldmanā€™s on Hulu and really enjoying it. I had heard good things about this 80ā€™s sitcom but never watched it. Itā€™s very funny and brings back a lot of memories from growing up in the 80ā€™s. The creator who bases the show off of his own family includes clips of the videos he shot when he was a kid.

Itā€™s The Goldbergs, not The Goldmans.

The Goldbergs is a fun show, especially for someone like me who enjoys the Philadelphia references (close to where I grew up).

Iā€™ve watched the first two episodes of each of the new Amazon Prime streaming series: White Dragon, and The Widow. Theyā€™re both intriguing, well acted, and interesting locales. I liked the first better than the second because The Widow is somewhat depressing. I also liked the mystery better in White Dragon.

But my main problem is that I know too many actors from other series. And not only that, but series that Iā€™ve watched over and over. So five minutes into White Dragon, who shows up as the lead but Doctor Whoā€™s arch nemesis, The Master (John Simms). It was well into episode 2 before I could stop thinking of him as that character, which did add an interesting twist to the show in my mind.

Then tonight Iā€™m watching The Widow and suddenly Tywin Lannister (Charles Dance) shows up for a scene. Not much further along, we run into Dr. River Song (Alex Kingston), also from Doctor Who. And just last night I watched Victoria starring Clara (Jenna Coleman), also from Doctor Who.

Itā€™s too confusing! I never watched Broadchurch because apparently it has Doctor Who 10 AND Rory. And apparently Doctor Who 13. I do admit I totally accept Veronica Mars and Sam Malone in The Good Place!

I canā€™t watch The Good Place, largely because I am so disappointed in what happened to Veronica Mars when she grew up.

I watched Dirty John over the weekend, as well as the documentary on Netflix. Wow. What an example of pure evil in the world. I thought Connie Britton was good as Debra Newell, although I found myself yelling at her character in almost every episode. I didnā€™t understand how a woman could possibly be so stupid and thought that her portrayal was far too naĆÆve. That was until I saw Debra Newell being interviewed on the doc. Nope. Thatā€™s exactly how she was! People never fail to amaze me. Truly.

p.s. Loved seeing Julia Garner again as I loved her in Ozark. What a fantastic young actor.

I just finished ā€œbinge watchingā€ The Americans ā€“ over the last two months. I really enjoyed it and am still thinking about the last episode (reminder to self: they are only tv characters). Then I watched a bunch of interviews with the cast, blooper videos on you tube and that was fun too.

I just started The Good Place as my treadmill show. Prior to that I watched/walked to Schittā€™s Creek (didnā€™t like it at first but then liked it a lot after I got used to the characters and their quirks) and before that Parks and Recreation - one of my all time favorite shows.

@ā€œone+twoā€, DH and I have been binge watching the show for a few weeks now. Halfway through the next episode, we will be exactly half done with the series. Itā€™s intense! Sometimes itā€™s too much for DH - he canā€™t sleep afterwards.

I re-watched the last episode because it is so good and I had kept thinking about it as well. The first time I watched it I donā€™t think I breathed thru the entire garage scene (something like 13 minutes long). Such a complex scene from so many perspectives, and overall outstanding final episode.

1 Like

As I said in the movie thread, I watched Debra Granikā€™s film Leave No Trace over the weekend, and it was strongly reminding me of The Americans ā€“ outlaws trying to be good parents, too. That packs a huge emotional wallop for me.

We watched the Netflix 5-part drama ā€œRebellionā€ prior to traveling to Ireland a couple of years agoā€“it gave us lots of background regarding the 1916 Easter Rising that ultimately led to Irish independence.

Now watching recently released season 2, which jumps to 1920 and portrays events of the rebellion led by Michael Collins. Enjoying season 2ā€“took a bit to realize only a few characters were carried over from season 1.

ā€œWhite Dragonā€, Amazon Prime.

Secret City
Shtisel

Both on Netflix

Even though it was predictable and a bit treacly, I really enjoyed ā€œAfter Lifeā€ on Netflix. It stars Ricky Gervais, who also wrote and directed. Only six half hour episodes, so a quick binge.

I was never interested in trying Bates Motel, assuming it would just be grotesque and creepy- but we started it last week and were hooked very quickly. The characters are so interesting. Iā€™m not familiar with Vera Farmigaā€™s other work, but she is fantastic. So is Freddie Highmore. On the last season now.

Just finished the new season of catastrophe?

Enjoying Shtisel, thanks to all who recommended- starting second season !

@SouthJerseyChessMom , Iā€™m glad you liked it. I was bummed when it ended. Such a great family drama.

Thereā€™s a new season?!!?! Thanks for letting us know! We have five more episodes of ā€œThe Americans,ā€ so we can watch that next. :slight_smile: