Binge watched tv shows

I watched two episodes of Chernobyl last night - I wish I’d waited to binge. Wow! Very powerful and compelling story. I thought the acting was superb.

is chernobyl about the nuclear catastrophe in '86?

@MYOS1634 Yes, it is. It is very well acted, and presumably, quite factual.

Thank you. I’ll check it out.

I’ve watched everything I could find from Shetland. There’s a surprise role by Archie Panjabi, BTW. The Duncan/Jimmy dynamic is played for comedy and is excellent throughout. Also, they don’t try to pretend all these crimes happen at once… they’re presented as few and far between, fortunately, or it’d stretch credulity! The last crime (Season 5) is very realistic and grittier than the previous ones, I thought.
Apparently the film crew/actors stayed several weeks on Fair Isle to shoot “Blue Lightning” they had to be hosted by the local families because there’s no hotel, just a small school (max 10 pupils), a church, an evening-only pub, and the bird sanctuary/center. Why that title though?

D1 keeps recommending Chernobyl, but bemoaning the British accents.

I loved Offspring so much!

Somehow I missed the Christmas show of Call the Midwife. It finally appeared on Netflix (it is counted as the first episode of Season 8 rather than the last episode of Season 7). It introduced some new characters so I could put them all in place (now that the last episode has run).

Thanks for the suggestions regarding family dramas. I’ve already seen Atypical but will add Shtisel to my list. Any other suggestions welcome.

@momo2x2018 - We’ve been watching Chernobyl, too. Very well done!

I read where the producers consciously decided not to do Russian accents.

Really enjoying Unforgotten. Thanks to those who recommended!

The second season of Fleabag (Amazon) is superb. Better even than the first.

1 Like

“I read where the producers consciously decided not to do Russian accents.”

One things that I loved about the show “The Americans” was that every character with a Russian accent was played by someone who was a native Russian speaker and really has an accent. I also loved that they spoke Russian if speaking to other Russians and it was just subtitled. But I know most people don’t enjoy reading captions. But I love it. But I can see why the Cherynobyl producers opted for English and no accents.

1 Like

@katliamom Fleabag is THE BEST. I never though I’d actively root for a priest to break his vows and have sex, but I was all for that lol : )
Phoebe Waller-Bridge is nothing short of BRILLIANT. I enjoyed this season sooooooo much.

1 Like

I think that I’m going to try Fleabag next!

@MYOS1634 – there’s a lot of sex in Fleabag. I think you can handle it, MYOS; it’s just fair warning for those who aren’t into that sort of thing :wink: And, no, it’s not specifically ABOUT sex, but rather about the psychology of the main (complicated, wonderful, funny, smart, hurting) character who has lots to be complicated about.

Ohh. Thanks. Hm, I’ll give it a try and see then.
( I’m really not into bad language yet I really liked Mid90s.)

Don’t watch it with your mum and dad LOL.

Or kids, I assume, then…

@MYOS1634 – well, the 4-letter word that starts with f and rhymes with “luck” is said about every other 3 minutes. So maybe this isn’t for you :slight_smile:

I’m going to see if “brilliant” wins over my distaste then… I’ll report from the front lines :slight_smile: