Binge watched tv shows

Not exactly Euro Noir but I loved the documentary Winter on Fire (on Netflix) about the Ukrainian uprising in 2013-14. It’s pretty astonishing what the people did, all in winter too. Considering our current events, it’s pretty timely.

Ha. DD is binge-watching “Downton Abbey.” Last night I get a bunch of texts and then a tearful phone call. Before I even answered the phone I said to my husband, “Looks like someone has reached the finale of Season 3.”

And I was right!

I’m binge watching “The Last Man on Earth.” A pretty silly show, but I’m enjoying it. January Jones from “Mad Men” is in it. The creator/main actor reminds me of the male lead in “Catastrophe.”

I just watched Looking for Alaska, not reading or knowing anything about it beforehand. I thought it was well done and enjoyed the cast, for the most part unfamiliar to me.

I also finished the third season of The Handmaid’s Tale. First time I actually cried watching that show.

Another recommended show- 11/22/63. I loved the book, but read it years ago so was able to enjoy the miniseries as a separate creation.

Recently binged Mystery Road, Australian. Pretty good. A cast that largely was indigenous. Judy Davis and Aaron Pedersen.

@csfmap We are on Ep 2, Season 4 Schitt’s Creek and we are so glad we watched even late to the game. Succession, another show started late, now my new obsession. Why we didn’t watch from beginning since we watch and recommend Billions, I don’t know. Ready to start Season 2 tonight, just so outside our world, crude/funny/sad, talented actors and writers.

Don’t know if this is just a local offer (we’re Philadelphia suburbs), but got an email from Verizon last night that HBO and Cinemax will be free this coming weekend, 10/25 - 10/28.

We started watching Succession last time we had a free weekend and enjoyed it, so plan to pick it up where we left off.

@lookingforward gee thanks. Just when I thought I could set aside Amazon Prime and read my book, you just had to mention an Australian series I’ve never heard of. ? Thankfully there aren’t a lot of episodes and I should be able to finish it this weekend and get back to my book.

Side note, I’m only two episodes in but already recognize two actors, both were also in Offspring, one of my favorite Australian shows.

@4kids4us I gave in and signed up for Acorn Tv, via Prime. Now I’m on Line of Duty.

@lookingforward I used the “free” trial for Acorn over the summer but discovered there were so many UK and Australian/New Zealand series I wanted to watch that I ended up subscribing. I don’t even watch American tv anymore. Line of Duty has been on my watchlist for a while but I haven’t started it yet.

I just binged Unbelievable on Netflix. It’s 8 episodes, based on true events. About a teenager who is raped in 2008 and her experience with the police, friends, family etc. Running concurrently in 2011 in another state are two female detectives looking into a serial rapist. I will say it can be difficult to watch, but it is outstanding.

Letterkenny. One of those shows that defies description. Very regional but has broad appeal. Profane and politically incorrect, yet not mean spirited. Funny. Low budget.

Person of Interest. More of a “normal” show. My son and I got caught up in this one.

What channel did you watch them on? ^^^

I watched some Diagnosis episodes, almost all are baffling thus far. The little girl with the seizure disorder was really compelling, They should have just shown this and ditched the rest. Are these just reality TV people gone mad. What are they thinking getting on telly and opening themselves up to the crazy? My eyes are overwrought by the spinning. What this discussion could really be touching on is AI/algorithms as the future diagnosis, because drs are so fallible. But the “crowd” (trying so hard to make this a thing) is just noise. Will the internet be a significant diagnostic tool? Sure it will be. It just won’t involve dumb arses waxing lyrical about their opinions.

We loved Person of Interest. Intrigue, spy work and social commentary and great characters and a future that seems all too possible. Just when you’d think a character was just a stereotype… they weren’t.

1 Like

For fans of The Kominsky Method: Season 2 is now on Netflix!

I really liked Person of Interest. It was also very relevant - I think that it took place in a world where Snowden hadn’t revealed how data was used and it taught me lots of relevant information about what AI was, ahead of what was actually common knowledge or done; it was fascinating to see sci-fi turn into real life one year later!

Has anyone started checking out the new shows?
I’m liking Stumptown, Perfect Harmony (for the actors so far), Sunyside. Haven’t had time to watch severa others!

Following recommendations here, I watched the first two episodes of Unbelievable. Wow! The first episode was one of the most upsetting hours of TV I have ever watched. I was literally yelling at the characters on the screen, and I would get so angry I had to stop it and do something else for a bit. Then the second episode was perfect, because it showed someone doing right what others had done wrong in the first episode, while also showing some of the effects of chance. The show is really high quality in every respect, but very strong medicine.

Toni Collette is the only big name actor, although it also has Merritt Weaver who was terrific in Godless, and the lead ingenue (a deeply appropriate term in this case) was just great. This show has some big names attached to it off camera: The creators and lead writers are Susannah Grant, who wrote the screenplays for Erin Brockovich and Ever After (among others), and Michael Chabon and Ayelet Waldman, husband-and-wife brand name serious lit authors. The director is Lisa Cholodenko, who directed The Kids Are Alright and Olive Kitteridge. Katie Couric is one of several additional Executive Producers.

I’ve rewatch The Crown. I’m ready for Season 3.

I like Unbelievable, but did find it very tense because it is so quite. There is no noise in the police rooms, no noise in the apartments or while driving around. It is just so quiet you are waiting for something to jump out at you.