Binge watched tv shows

Yes. New episodes weekly.

1 Like

We have now watched 3 episodes of Durrells (Amazon Prime). We like it and will continue.

Durrell is slow paced and enjoyable, with interesting characters and lovely scenery. It is a good change of pace from the UK procedural detective shows we are watching (Silent Witness and DCI Banks, both watched with 2-episode story lines pairs in one evening). We also throw in a New Tricks when we want a detective show that is easy to follow, with a bit of humor (a bit a Grumpy Old Men feel).

I hate the one episode at a time thing and “ protest”shows that drop this was by waiting until it’s done. My friend who is in the business says that streaming services don’t like this. Not sure exactly why tho.

2 Likes

Well, let me just say, if the first episode is any indication, season 2 of Ted Lasso will be better than the first.

But y’all go ahead and wait 3 months to binge. :joy:

3 Likes

Is The Durrells by any chance based on the family of writer Lawrence Durrell (author of The Alexandria Quartet)? One of my fav writers, years ago

3 Likes

Yes. The series is loosely based on Gerald Durell’s memoirs, including My Family and Other Animals. Gerald was Lawrence Durrell’s youngest brother.

4 Likes

Fascinating! Will have to check it out
thanks!

Also, got free year of Apple TV with my replacement iPad.
Check out” The morning Show”- Jennifer Aniston and Reece,
Oprah interviews, especially with Prince Harry, and author of Olive, Again worth viewing,
Share any other gems on Apple TV 

Ted Lasso :heart:

1 Like

Making the Cut on Amazon Prime, and The Unforgotten on PBS.

I also dislike the one or two at a time drop. Making the Cut is doing that as well.

First-world problems. :grin:

1 Like

When Netflix has released “new” seasons of Great British Bakeoff, they’ve done the one-per-week thing as well.

1 Like

I have plenty of other very real problems, as do most :slight_smile:

1 Like

Enjoying “Hinterland” lately, Welsh criminal procedure drama, very much a slow burn. Each episode is 90 min, and involves a single crime/investigation, so we split it into 2 shows of 45 min each. The character and back story of the lead investigator is slowly teased out over several episodes and is very compelling. Gorgeous scenery and good mysteries!

1 Like

Who recommended Lupin?

THANK YOU!!!

9 Likes

Thanks to you guys I started Line of Duty. The upside is that there are 6 seasons. The downside is that
 there are 6 seasons.
I cheated and went straight from 1 to 5 and am on episode 2 of series6. I’ll definitely go back since there are clues in every season.

(I PUT LOTS OF LINES BETWEEN THIS^ AND THE SPOILER-ISH BELOW BUT FORMATTING WON’T LET ME KEEP THEM ALL SO THIS IS A WARNING)

SPOILER-ISH

(I totally didn’t realize S1 Awful Little Ryan had grown up to be THAT Ryan until Kate in S6 said Do I know you from somewhere? And I thought wait, in Season 1, there WAS a Ryan, and come to think of it, he was used by the OCG
 If it’d been 7 years I surely wouldn’t have made the connection but aaarrggh).

2 Likes

Line of Duty is one of my favorite. Ted, Steve and Kate and whoever the guest stars are all excellent.

Don’t forget Unforgotten, another excellent cop show.

2 Likes

I will keep Line of Duty in mind when we are ready to add a new series to the mix

We really liked Unforgotten. Sadly the 4th season is not yet available on Amazon Prime.

Do you have PBS? That’s where I’m watching Season 4 but it stinks having to wait for a new episode each week. Of course, you can subscribe/donate to PBS Passport and get the whole season now.

2 Likes

Such a great show and the slow - good old days 1x a week release keeps us from pulling an all night binge :slight_smile: now if i can just remember the story line week to week !

2 Likes

My parents tell me that when they were kids (which led me to disbelieve most of their anecdotes - they could never have been children), they had one television in the house, from which they had a choice of 3 networks and had to wait a week between episodes. And they had to wait a year before American programs were available to them. Since they grew up in different countries, I immediately suspected them of collusion. After all, their stories were identical. And how on earth did people survive. As Joseph Conrad wrote: The horror! The horror!

:rofl:

7 Likes