Binge watched tv shows

Brett Goldstein’s recent Emmy was well-deserved for season 1, and I’m sure he’ll be nominated again for season 2, but based on this season, Nick Mohammed should win the award next year.

3 Likes

I just started binging on Netflix kitchen impossible

In the book she specifically mentioned going thru a background check. Was it specifically said in the show that she wasn’t?

In the show, she shows up for the job interview and is immediately sent out on a job.

Ted Lasso fans, I just discovered The NY TIMES reviewer of each episode of Ted Lasso, clever, and fun, and deep.
Must read the comments, and scroll down to the much referenced comments about Wizard of Oz comparison,
The shows writers pack the show with so many cultural references, stunning, brilliant.

‘Ted Lasso’ Recap, Season 2, Episode 12: Nate Makes a Choice

2 Likes

I haven’t read the NYT recaps, but Vulture (New York Magazine) also has good recaps and unpacks the little cultural references at the end of each recap under the clever heading of “Biscuits.” My SIL gave my D & myself a subscription to NY Magazine so we could read the This is Us recaps last Christmas and I have really enjoyed all of the recaps they provide for shows I watch. I will have to check out a few of the NYT recaps with my limited free access.

4 Likes

i wanted to talk about the season 12 episode; but wont cuz of spoilers. but do you think that was the season finale? i’m guessing so . .

Yes, episode 12 was the season finale.

2 Likes

Felt the same way after I saw the finale, so I read many reviews and recaps online, knowing we can’t discuss here

W(she rarely watches TV) and I are completely hooked, and are on our second viewing. She has ordered a book on Space Medicine. Bobbie, Averasala, and Amos are unique characters. Love the unforced diversity on this show, also.

Most SciFi shows are pretty poorly written and acted. The Expanse is an exception.

1 Like

Can’t we start a Ted Lasso Discussion WITH spoilers thread?

5 Likes

seconding

1 Like

Good idea, especially with a link in this thread so people can find it.

1 Like

More Fall TV reviews…

• La Brea: kind of a less celebral Lost, which it immediately references. The pitch: the La Brea tar pits collapse and take everything with them (buildings, cars, people) into a giant sinkhole. People in LA are trying to figure out what happened whereas we know that everything fell into a primeval LA/pre-human LA-like landscape. (Not a spoiler, it’s in all the trailers).
    I discovered the Automotive Museum’s red architecture, I had never seen it before. There is some foolishness (premeds aren’t trained in first aid; when you see a wild animal about to run at you you barricade yourself in the vehicle instead of running on your unprotected, slow human legs…) but overall it was entertaining and a perfect “evening” show that you can watch while doing something else. Of note: the amputee daughter is a real amputee actress and we see her real “blade”/prosthetic leg (it’s not some special effect like in some shows where they “erase” the leg).

• gave up on Ordinary Joe.

• still watching the new Wonder Years, still unsure

• liked Home Economics: they’re still finding their sea legs but the writer brother trying (and failing) to explain football to an actual football star he can’t recognize in order to prove sth to his little brother or the way little sis’ wife tries to convince her to support a cheerleading daughter were pretty funny :slight_smile:

More to come! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Went down the rabbit hole of Big Sky on Hulu - don’t do it. In my opinion, it is like a bad book that you keep reading, as you think it has to get better and it never does !

4 Likes

That’s disappointing to hear because I like the Cassie Dewell books by C.J. Box and was hoping the show would be decent.

I binged watched Reservation Dogs on Hulu and it was charming. They are short episodes. Although the show focuses on a Muscogee (Creek) community in Oklahoma, I think anyone who grew up in a rural or “nowhere” area and fantasized about getting out can relate to the teens on this show. It’s funny and poignant. It’s not a laugh-out-loud kind of show; the humor is more ironic and situational. It’s also a very interesting glimpse into a rarely-portrayed American subculture.

1 Like

Just make it clear you are spoilering through current episodes - which is all of season 1 and 2?

Um ok. But really if a topic says “Discussion with Spoilers” anyone who doesn’t want the possibility of running into spoilers and then starts reading the thread is asking for it. I mean seriously, why would one need to be more specific. Is someone really saying “ Well it said spoilers but I didn’t know it would be spoiling x or y.” Come on! Sometimes I think the hysteria around spoilers isn’t that someone is really concerned about someone being spoiled it’s more that one should never be allowed to be spoiled. They believe everyone should be surprised.

This thread is not Discussion with Spoilers, it is Binge Watch recommendations. I’m not sure where there is an implication that the thread includes spoilers? The point of binge watching is that you watch older shows for the first time.

Current shows of interest should have their own thread, as so many do. Those threads are the ones with spoiler warnings. If you don’t want to start a thread here, there are great tv boards that I always go to - after watching the episode. Try PrimeTimer (the current name for the old Television Without Pity).

I would not expect this thread to discuss the newest episodes of current shows.

4 Likes